Tips for crushing that dessert craving HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Dessert is really hard for me too- I've found exercising after dinner (even a short walk) really helps. Usually I'm just bored and want to eat, I don't really want the sugar. Try to distract yourself and drink some water and save your dessert for special occasions or well planned splurges. Then once you have the habit kicked you can add dessert back in gradually if you want.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have dessert, I just plan for it. Knowing that its coming at the end of the night helps me pass up other things that I might not have otherwise.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Since I follow South Beach I've pretty much lost my sweet cravings. That said, I do like a piece of Extra Dessert Delights gum after dinner and I finish my day with one square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always crave something sweet if I have eaten a meal with a lot of carbs, especially the bad white carbs.
    Different things I do to fight it is : Chew gum, brush teeth, have a cup of tea, eat a couple of nuts, have some berries.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have chocolate everyday, so I replaced it with Nature Valley Oats and Chocolate bars. I also have a Luigi's Italian Ice (Lemon) every night, only 100 calories. When I have an icecream craving, I will go to McDonald's and get the vanilla cone, which is 150 calories.

I wouldn't deny yourself anything or else it will back fire and you will fall off the wagon and everthing you have been craving. Crave it, have it (in moderation).
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good tips for that "dessert craving"? For some reason I get a sweet craving after every time I eat. It's like I've trained my brain to think I need dessert after every meal. I need to UN train it. What do I do? Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry for typos. I'm on my phone.

A cup of raspberries, or 1 1/2 cups of strawberries does it for me.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'll have a cup of nonfat chocolate milk. Gives me a little extra calcium, and just enough chocolate to kill any extra cravings.
  • honeydove
    honeydove Posts: 39
    Options
    Chewing a piece of gum helps me..
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't keep stuff in the house. If I want it badly enough to load up 2 kids and go to the store, then I have it. Believe me that rarely happens.

I also agree with this. I have three kids and I typically don't like to take them into a grocery store, so I don't give into the craving.
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got into a eating-while-studying habit that was tough to break. Now I usually choose decaf green tea (unsweetened). It gives me something to do with my hands and my mouth and the tea is supposed to be very good for you. So, I guess the point is you have to consciously make a new habit--drink green tea like me, go for a walk after you eat, brush your teeth, play with the dog.....anything that will divert you from your old habit.

See I want to break the habit. I know a treat here and there is no big deal, but I can't give in everytime and I'm tired of fighting it all the time. It's a habit I wish I had never started....
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Chewing gum. =) The dessert flavored kind. Mmmm
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Boy do I relate. My cravings are a vicious cycle... after I eat something salty, I want something sweet, but then I want something salty, and then I'm dying for sweet again... Terrible!

One thing I love is keeping frozen berries around at all times -- with a little sweetener they are a dessert unto themselves. And they're not so sweet that I've over-sweetened myself and sent my tastebuds hurtling towards salt again, haha.

Other fruit feels like dessert if you bake it: apples, pears, even bananas.

Tea with a bit of milk and sweetener can feel like dessert, too -- it's always felt mildly luxurious to me, to settle down with a big mug of hot, milky tea.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just finished a Kroger carbmaster yogurt (peach flavor). It is 60 calories and tastes really good. Not quite as good as the bowl of ice cream that I used to eat, but it satisfies my craving for something sweet.
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    Mint tea, teeth brushing or choosing a low calorie dessert work for me: fresh strawberries, or sugar free jello with cool whip (40 calories) and I always have homemade fat free and sugar free Popsicles in the freezer...3 cups skim milk, fat free chocolate or butterscotch pudding + Splenda are my fave.
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have chocolate everyday, so I replaced it with Nature Valley Oats and Chocolate bars. I also have a Luigi's Italian Ice (Lemon) every night, only 100 calories. When I have an icecream craving, I will go to McDonald's and get the vanilla cone, which is 150 calories.

I wouldn't deny yourself anything or else it will back fire and you will fall off the wagon and everthing you have been craving. Crave it, have it (in moderation).

Italian ice is a good idea. I love that stuff. I also love soft serve ice cream but I have to stay away from it because thats one of my biggest problems right now. There is a McDonalds right next to my work and I get off at 1030pm and I always want ice cream and it's killing me. I'm also an emotional eater so if I have a stressful night at work thats what I crave.
  • drumprincess1
    Options
    i LOVE dessert!!! i just love junk food in general....so good. lately though ive been eating a lot of fruits and veggies. its sounds SO cliche but seriously, i don't have as many cravings since ive been eating mostly these things. some really sweet fruits that are like desert to me are pineapple, peaches, and dates. i LOVE dates! they are so sweet! a really yummy recipe that i do is i put dates, a banana and some unsweetened almond milk in a blender and make a shake. it tastes like a fattening milkshake, but its less than 200 calories....and a chocolate bar is usually over 200 calories :D
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just say I dont want dessert type things but I seriously cant do it :(
    I allow myself to have something healthier, like a small bowl of oatmeal with some cinnamon or something on it.
    Or I will allow myself to have the Eating Right ice cream sandwiches (120 calories).

Its hard to cut out the desserts, but obviously others can do it, Im sure you can too! I am not one of them xD
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For some reason I get a sweet craving after every time I eat. It's like I've trained my brain to think I need dessert after every meal. I need to UN train it.

I'm exactly the same!
    Despite eating on/under my calories I'm aiming to cut down to only 1 piece of 'junk' per day for the next two weeks then down to every other day...

In the meantime good substitutes for something worse
    * Ice lolly (I have a real fruit splice at 70kcal)
    * Kids Milk lolly
    * 1-2 squares of rich chocolate (I like Mayan Gold by green & Blacks)
    * Fruit
    * Light Philly with a little bit of sugar & vanilla essence on a cracker (I use 1/2 a 40g Philly tub on an Arnotts Crispbread)

x