39M just had heart attack

Options
hi, my name is jim, im 39 year old father of 5, i had a heart attack friday due to a 95% blocked artery, i am NOW changing my lifestyle. low fat,low cholesterol and low sodium. i am a 6'2" 300lb mailman living in arkansas, as soon as im clear to excersise i will do more than my 15 miles walking at work.

Replies

• kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you on taking your life back!! :flowerforyou: You can do this!!! :drinker:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Jim. You've come to the right place,

Wow - you carry letters 15 miles every day, through rain & sleet & etc. etc., and you got to 300 pounds? Dude, that's amazing!?!?! How'd you do that?

Make sure you set your food diary up to display and track your cholesterol. And enjoy your last egg, and your last plate of liver & onions. You'll probably never eat either one again. Well,,, sparingly on the eggs. The liver really is awful.

You'll like it here. This is easy to use and really works. Any questions or rants or whatever, just come here to the board.

Ciao bella, :drinker:
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Welcome! And i'm sorry to hear about your heart attack...but I think it is so awsome that you are taking control of the situation and trying to change it! You have come to the right place for sure and used to it's fullest you will fall in love with this site! Good luck!!!!
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    Welcome! Crazy young to have a heart attack! Glad your here to take back your life! You and your family deserve to have you around many more years!!! Good luck! Feel free to come to the boards anytime! We are here for you!:flowerforyou:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Whats up Jim! Thank god, your back on your feet. Glad to hear that.

I used to work for UPS for a few years, so its great you have a job that keeps you very active instead of sittin on your *kitten* in some cubicle (which i've been the unfortunate recipient of as well).

I just hope and pray you listen to your doctors. Educate yourself. Put all those tools to work and turn it all around. If not for yourself, obviously for the sake of your family. Which has got to be one helluva motivating factor at this point. GET ON IT!

Good luck.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Please use this and take all the advice on here, I lost my dad when I was about 10 years old. He was around your age when he had his first heart attack and sadly didn't change his ways and had a lot of problems over the years when lastly he sadly lost his life at 50. He left behind six kids ranging in ages from 7-36. He never got to see me go to highschool, graduate or get married. Please if not for yourself, for those four fabulous kids of yours! Best of luck! YOU CAN DO IT!!!:happy: :happy: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
  • xsargex
    Options
    Please use this and take all the advice on here, I lost my dad when I was about 10 years old. He was around your age when he had his first heart attack and sadly didn't change his ways and had a lot of problems over the years when lastly he sadly lost his life at 50. He left behind six kids ranging in ages from 7-36. He never got to see me go to highschool, graduate or get married. Please if not for yourself, for those four fabulous kids of yours! Best of luck! YOU CAN DO IT!!!:happy: :happy: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

Man I tell ya. You know sometimes I can understand people have poor eating habits or don't get exercise routinely. You know, some excuses can be warranted. I'm not making excuses for poor habits or just not caring...I think at this point, there is enough information out there, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what foods are horrible for you.

But I got so many friends around me that have been smoking/drinking for like 20+ years. I mean, that *kitten* is just a no-brainer. Yet people keep on doing it. I don't know if its a disease or whatever. Cause it seems to me, that don't even have the will or determination to want to quit, so I kinda wonder sometimes.

My buddy is 30 this year. He's been smoking since he was 18. His whole family smokes. They just had their first daughter. That didn't knock any sense into him. His mother just had a stroke a few months ago, from smoking! They all continue to smoke around each other. It just blows my mind.

I'm not saying I'm trying to live forever either. Everyone dies. But damn, atleast give it a fighting chance.
    This is in no way calling out Jim or your father. I don't know what their habits are. But I dunno...I think of people having heart attacks and dying at age 40-50....and its like WTF!??!?!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    We are glad to welcome you and hear that you came through it well enough that you can join us.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well... there are bad choices, and bad lifestyles, and all kinds'a stuff. But some people just have bad genetics.

If you've got dealt a bad hand then please please take care of yourself. We all should, but the gang with heart trouble in the fam especially.
  • kitn621
    kitn621 Posts: 215
    Options
    WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK! SO SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR H.A. B/C YOU ARE VERY YOUNG TO HAVE HAD ONE. JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU NEED TO DO THIS FOR YOURSELF AND TO BE AROUND TO WATCH YOUR KIDS GROW UP. I AM HERE TO KEEP MYSELF HEALTHY SO AS TO ASSURE THAT I CAN BE THERE FOR MY KIDS THROUGH EVERY MILESTONE WITH THEMSELF AND THEIR KIDS. ITS HARD BUT WELL WORTH IT AND ITS A LIFE CHANGE CHOICE. THIS IS NOT TEMPORARY.....ITS A NEW YOU! WELCOME AND WE ARE ALWAYS HERE FOR YOU. YOU GET ALOT OF SUPPORT ON THIS SITE. ITS TRULY AMAZING!:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome. You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: sorry to hear about your heart attack.
  • bigcross
    bigcross Posts: 3
    Options
    wow thank you all for the concern and comments
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options

Man I tell ya. You know sometimes I can understand people have poor eating habits or don't get exercise routinely. You know, some excuses can be warranted. I'm not making excuses for poor habits or just not caring...I think at this point, there is enough information out there, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what foods are horrible for you.

But I got so many friends around me that have been smoking/drinking for like 20+ years. I mean, that *kitten* is just a no-brainer. Yet people keep on doing it. I don't know if its a disease or whatever. Cause it seems to me, that don't even have the will or determination to want to quit, so I kinda wonder sometimes.

My buddy is 30 this year. He's been smoking since he was 18. His whole family smokes. They just had their first daughter. That didn't knock any sense into him. His mother just had a stroke a few months ago, from smoking! They all continue to smoke around each other. It just blows my mind.

I'm not saying I'm trying to live forever either. Everyone dies. But damn, atleast give it a fighting chance.
    This is in no way calling out Jim or your father. I don't know what their habits are. But I dunno...I think of people having heart attacks and dying at age 40-50....and its like WTF!??!?!

No offense taken here! I still don't know why my dad didn't take care of himself, guess it just wasn't important enough, but drinking/smoking/and eatting bad were. I'll never know, but if my story can help one person realize what someone else missed in life, it's worth it. I don't want Jim's kids wondering why didn't my dad change, wasn't I worth it?
  • xsargex
    Options
    Well... there are bad choices, and bad lifestyles, and all kinds'a stuff. But some people just have bad genetics.

If you've got dealt a bad hand then please please take care of yourself. We all should, but the gang with heart trouble in the fam especially.

I can understand the genetics and having symptoms and diseases handed down to you. Thats not necessarily what I'm talking about. Well yeah, in a way, I kinda am. Cause its these same people that know...they have traces of heart conditions or whatever in their family line. Yet, they still continue to put poison into their bodies anyway. Then they keel over at 50.

Not everyone is like this, I realize that. Plenty of people realize from the get-go that they have genetic issues, so they live healthier lifestyles, eat right and exercise. Good for them.

I guess in the long-run, gambling your life for a smoke, a drink, or eating cheeseburgers every day, just isn't worth it. If i'm gonna go outta this world...its gonna be doing something cool, like jump outta an airplane and my chute fails or something. haha
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the heart attack.Congrats on your decision to change your lifestyle.! Take small steps, do your cardiac rehab, and when you can do more do it. Remember it took a long time to get to where you are and it'll take awhile to completely change your habits.Be easy on yourself, and you'll get there. My hubby had a mild heart attack at 44 he lost his father at 49 from a a a massive heart attack , and a brother at 46.His other brother had quadruple by pass at 49, Shortly after his other brothers attacks. The family history was very strong to have blocked arteries. No one Except for the oldest, was obese.Three different brothers, 3 different outcomes. ! I'm lucky that I have my hubby and my beautiful kids have their father, because he had 3 blocked arteries, one almost 100 % . He's lucky to have walked away with just 3 stents! Proves that Heredity plays a big role as well as lifestyle.My husband ate some fruit and Veggies,His brother who passed, almost none, and the bigger , oldest, brother, is the least fussy of them all(pun intended).: )I have to get my kids, cholesterol checked and their 11 and 8! The 11 year old daughter is good, but my son whose eight is afraid of needles , so we have to get him checked yet!It's important for everyone to eat as healthily as they can, but especially for those with such a poor family history of heart problems.:brokenheart:
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your scare. But i know you can do it! That is my biggest fear and that is why I have started coming here for support as well. It is really nice to be on this site because you can get on day or night and you always have a friend to support you! :)
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your heart attack, but this could be good news for your kids.... Get your whole family involved in your recovery. Not just healthy food for you, but your wife and kids too. Habits that are formed when we are young shape who we become as we mature. If you instill healthy eating and good exercises habits now, it will be easier for them when they are grown up and making the decisions for themselves, because that is what they will be used to. Have the whole family eating healthy and walking together or playing a game of football after dinner instead of sitting in front of the TV like most of us Americans. Although, one would think that 15 miles a day would be sufficient..... :ohwell:

Welcome and good luck! :drinker:
  • bigcross
    bigcross Posts: 3
    Options
    thank y'all for all your concerns and advice. i am pretty excited about getting healthier, im feeling better, waiting on my cardiologist to green light some excercise. i ve been studying diet and nutrition and have started there. my family is excited for me also...ty again
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    Welcome, I'm glad to hear that you are still among us. I'm also glad you want a lifestyle change, be proud and vigilant. We are here to support you on your journey.
    Here's to you!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: