Voila vs. Wah La

Options
Okay, I am wondering: I've seen a lot of people write "wah la" on these forums instead of "voila" -- is that just a common mistaken misspelling, or is it from something? A movie or a show or the internet or something?

I am not asking to be critical, I honestly want to know! I haven't had a TV for years and so miss a lot of pop culture stuff, and then look dumb in public when I don't understand references. Trying to keep up with the times, y'know.

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The term is VOILA. Wah la isn't anything but people being ignorant.

They have no idea how stupid they sound :laugh:
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Aww I don't know if I'd say they're ignorant -- this stuff happens when you hear a word all the time but never see it written down. As a kid I had the opposite problem -- read all the time, but never talked to anyone, LOL, so I thought I had the best vocabulary ever, when in reality I just had a big mouthful of wrongly-pronounced words that made me sound ridiculous.

Nevertheless... really? Wah la? I feel like "voila" is a word like, say, "burrito" -- foreign, but basically English at this point. Just never written, I guess?
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's voilà and it's French. People hear it and know what it means but have no clue how to spell it or the origin of it. Don't get me started on grammatical / linguistic pet peeves and ignorance, lol. I might "loose" my mind. <face palm>
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have never seen Wah La. A new level of ignorance/laziness. If you don't know how to spell a word don't use it, I feel.