Options
    I buy whichever is on sale
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Stevia x 1000
  • sowonderfultonight
    Options
    I don't personally use sweeteners, but my mother, father, and sister all work in the medical profession, and they have been advised to use Stevia and not Splenda. ^^
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Stevia is all natural and derived from a plant. The advantage of stevia is that it does *not* produce an insulin response. Splenda, equal, etc all produce insulin responses. This means that even though Splenda is calorie free - your body still reacts to it the same way that it does with real sugar.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I prefer stevia because it tastes more like real sugar. Less aftertaste.
  • damionflynn
    damionflynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stevia. It is a bit more expensive but it also requires less to get the same result. Add to the fact that it is better for you (based on every bit of information I can possibly find online...Yeah, I go with Stevia :-)
  • hips2lose
    hips2lose Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't buy either one. (I'm a cheapskate!! :) ) lol But I do buy Kroger's brand which is called Apriva. And I haven't noticed an after taste.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Stevia though I buy Truvia. I switched since it was actually from a plant and didn't produce an insulin response. Splenda is nasty, I hated the taste. Truvia tastes like real sugar.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I switched from Splenda to Stevia.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never joined the sweetener debate.... I have always used Dominoes pure cane sugar it is only 15 calories a spoonful......
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Stevia is all natural and derived from a plant. The advantage of stevia is that it does *not* produce an insulin response. Splenda, equal, etc all produce insulin responses. This means that even though Splenda is calorie free - your body still reacts to it the same way that it does with real sugar.

Neither aspartame nor sucralose has any effect on insulin. Here's a link to an article which explores that myth and links to actual scientific studies.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/#axzz1wVUp6sOf
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the taste of Stevia. I pick Splenda!
  • Vanishes
    Vanishes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of artificial sweetener BLEH. I would take advantage of it if the taste didn't make me want to die. I guess....this post isn't very helpful? :-/?

I also heard it causes cancer in lab rats? So....maybe just skip it? ;-)
  • LauraMcCullough
    LauraMcCullough Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Splenda is made from the same chemicals as chlorine. Stevia is all natural. Don't confuse your body with weird toxic stuff. Keep it clean!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Taste them and buy whichever one doesn't taste horrible to you.

Personally I fnd they all taste nasty so I don't use them, or buy foods /drinks which contain them (I was pretty pissed off to be given an artificially sweetened Powerade after a race last weekend - I'd just run 14km, I need energy, not chemicals! Luckily they had water and apples too.)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    the cheaper one?
  • Silence88
    Silence88 Posts: 26
    Options
    Stevia!!
  • 1DeterminedGal
    1DeterminedGal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    After talking to a nutritionist and my doc, I never touch Splenda, Aspertaime, or anything but Stevia.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Splenda (aka Sucralose) is as bad as Aspertame. I have no need to fill my body with those nasty chemicals.

I like pure stevia - not the ones like Truvia and Stevia in the Raw that have fillers and sich, but actual p-u-r-e Stevia

I also love Organic Raw Honey and use that as well, or mix it with a little Stevia.