Salad Dressing....help!

Options
I am need of some suggestions for salad dressings. The ONLY dressing I will use is full fat Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing. My favorite!!! I LOVE it! I use it for salads and as a veggie dip. I do only use the 2 T. serving size and sometime only 1 T. I justify it that if I'm going to get my veggies in (I'm not a veggie lover) that I can at least use the dressing I like IF I do not overdo it. I do not plan to completely give up my favorite dressing, but I would like to find some alternatives. Dressing that may be a bit better for you and/or lighter in calories and fat.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the lighter version by the same manufacturer? Honestly, 2tbsp of full fat dressing is fine, as long as you're staying in your calorie goals for the day.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    light or fat free raspberry vinaigrette :)

Here is a recipe!

3 cups of green leaf or romaine
    1 cup spinach
    1 1/2 cups of strawberries or about 5 strawberries
    1/3 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
    4 oz boiled chicken
    2 TBS of the dressing :)
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I was a hidden valley ranch girl but I found this one at Walmart, its Great Value Light Buttermilk Ranch dressing. Its really good (or I think it is, its been a long time since I've had full flavor.) I like it so well that I buy two every time I go shopping and can't imagine a salad without it.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do you use the kind that you make in the packet or the kind from the bottle?

Someone had recently suggested diluted ones dressing of choice with water. I haven't tried it but I think I will.

What about using one of the spray salad dressings in addition to the ranch (in order to use less ranch)?
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love ranch as well but have slowly learned to like healthier options (which was not easy LOl) but I buy the ranch dip mix lower sodium and slowly transitioned from mixing it with sour cream to fat free sour cream to plain non fat yogurt... ..
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Vinegarets are nice tasting dressing and you can make your own if you get the kits with seasoning packets- they come with the carfare and seasoning you add olive oil, vinegar, and water . I use just vinegar on my salads now. I liked french, and poppy seed personally but I don't use it much. Can't help you on brands either.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    light Hidden Valley ranch?
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been making salads with the Kraft Poppyseed dressing lately. It tastes great with salads that have fruit in them!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You could try buying the powdered hidden valley mix and preparing it with non fat yogurt instead or with greek yogurt for some extra protein :)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette

Old Cape Cod Fat free Balsamic Vinaigrette (amazing stuff. i adore it)
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maple grove farms brand which I've saw at both Kroger and Walmart have sugar free dressings that are really good. Poppyseed is my fav, but there are lots of flavors. Most 20 cals for 2T and low carb. The raspberry vineegrette is good and only has one carb per serving.n
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have recently been using salsa as a salad dressing. My husband makes me a bunch of homemade salsa at the beginning of the week, and I use it all week long....it doesn't have the MSG store bought ones do.......and it gets me extra veggies!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Honey Crisp Apple Spinach Salad

2 tbsp. white vinegar
    2 tbsp. orange juice
    1/4 cup 100% Pure Maple Syrup
    1 tbsp. walnut oil
    1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    1 HoneyCrisp apple, cored, thinly sliced
    1 (5 oz.) box organic baby spinach salad
    1 cup red grape halves
    1 shallot, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped Cinnamon Spiced Almonds

In large salad bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients; stir in apple slices. Layer remaining ingredients over apples; refrigerate, covered.

Marie's Poppy Seed dressing
    Salad Girl Blueberry Basil
    Marie's Chipolte Dressing
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Vinaigrette

Prep/Total Time: 10 min. Yield: 20 Servings

Ingredients
    •1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
    •6 tablespoons lemon juice
    •1/4 cup sugar
    •2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds

Directions
    •Place the strawberries in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Add lemon juice and sugar; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add vinegar and oil in a steady stream; process until thickened. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a large bowl or jar; cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I substituted some balsamic vinegar and reduced the lemon juice to 3 tablespoons and did not add poppy seeds as I didnt have any. Lasts about a week in the fridge. Tart and sweet and tangy over a salad of romaine leaf lettuce, fresh spinach, sliced strawberries and sliced almonds.

When I put this dressing recipe into MFP recipe creator using regular sugar, for 20 servings: 29 calories per serving!!!! Using a sugar substitute like Stevia drops it down to a whopping 20 calories per serving!!!
  • misspersimmon
    Options
    Why don't you just use the dressing that you like if you can fit it into your calories. I don't really understand the need to replace every little thing. If eating that dressing means you enjoy a nice salad, so be it.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Greek yogurt and hidden valley ranch seasoning pack. Not sure if it tastes exactly the same, but way lower calories.
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was a hidden valley ranch girl but I found this one at Walmart, its Great Value Light Buttermilk Ranch dressing. Its really good (or I think it is, its been a long time since I've had full flavor.) I like it so well that I buy two every time I go shopping and can't imagine a salad without it.

Totally agree!! This is what I was going to suggest for you! Seriously try it and you will be surprised by how good it is...it tastes SO much like the regular ranch. I always used to only use reg. hidden valley ranch but now I've switched to this and just love it! I also like Kraft light Catalina dressing. I use 1 tbsp. of it and 1 tbsp. of the light ranch to my salad and they make an awesome combo! :happy:
  • Bookworm_Chris
    Bookworm_Chris Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too absolutely love Hidden Valley Ranch... I have tried the light and low fat versions, but also noticed those carry more sugar and sodium content than the Original, so for me, the extra calories and fat seem like an okay trade. I have tried using the dressing mix and making my own using low fat mayo and skim milk, and that isn't so bad.. but sometimes I just dilute the 2 Tbsp version with a little bit of skim milk. It helps keep the creamy consistency, and if it needs that little extra 'kick' of flavor, I may sprinkle a pinch of the dry mix back in.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I use apple cider vinegar with stevia & spicey mustard sometimes I add some lemon too.....It's yummy. I also use it on meat
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Haven't found any bottled dressing I like other than Ranch so just worked the calories into my daily intake. However, I have switched to putting cottage cheese on top of my salads and find that very filling, but cc has a lot of sodium. However, cc give me a wider variety of things I can put in my salads, like grapes, apples, raisins, that just didn't go well with Ranch.

Good luck!!!