WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Thursday All,

Kathyszoo- happy for you that after your "time out" you only gained .5, good attitude to get back on this journey horse right away:wink: so sorry you are having knee problems, hoping the doctor is able to help:drinker: O it sounds like your knee is worse than you thought:sad: I've only seen the chair exercises on TV and don't have any personal experience with them, but I'm thinking that would be a good thing for you if your doctor says it's okay.

Nancy- I am in awe that you have a goal of doing a chin up....When I see people do them it just baffles me on how they can as when I have tried I can't even pull my body up at all ... Nothing:grumble: I guess I have less lofty goals:ohwell: Summer will make it's way north sometime I'm sure:happy:

Robin- Congrats on the new position and raise:flowerforyou:

rp- you keep planning your workout and sometime it will just kick in that you will feel better once you do it:flowerforyou: I know that for me when I'm not wanting to do any exercise because it's the end of the day and I'm tired I have this little voice in my head saying " burn the fat, burn the fat" and then I get moving...cause I want to be hearing "you are burning fat, you are burning fat"...I love those little voices:blushing:

Jen- that author must think that people only have exercise in their lives. I always feel good if during the work week I get in my 30-40 min and 30-60 on a weekend. I too have a job and a life...at least I think I do:wink: The one thing I've added at work is when I head to the bathroom I do my squats and my wall push ups...and since I drink so much water the bathroom and I see a lot of each other:noway:

LearnedHag- Welcome:flowerforyou: let us get to know you, keep coming back and you will find plenty of encouragement here.

Barbie- when we took Peanut on a walk Sunday in the evening it was pretty cool and we noticed that he had a prance in his step that he doesn't usually have...so I guess the cooler weather is what my older dog needs:love:

Rose- prayers for the family during Matthews recovery:flowerforyou: Your goal of #10 so close, but #2 since Friday is awesome, it's been a long time since I've seen a lost of #2 in one week...so whatever you did I would say keep it up:happy:

Kat- it is a mind set...keep it up and your goal is in your future:flowerforyou: Sounds like you have a plan and are making it work, your BBQ sounded wonderful:drinker:

Michele- only a #2 gain from a "pig out day" when I do that I just increase my water the next day and it's gone in about 36 hrs so I'm sure it's not a true gain, besides with all the exercise you do it's sure to be gone fast:wink:

Amanda-glad you have a wonderful visit with DD#2 and your opera was all you hoped for. :flowerforyou: I remember when we moved to Colorado from Oregon back in 1992 that my Mom kept saying we would be back, up to that point we had moved every 3-3.5 years...well here we are 20 years later still in Colorado and during my parents lifetime we didn't move back, I know hubby would return in a flash...only thing is I have two of my three sons here in Colorado and my two grandsons too...so I really don't want to go back:noway:

We went on a wonderfully cool bike ride last night after I got home from work. Not sure about tonight it's supposed to get to the mid 80's but windy...so we will see if I'm able to do that.

I had a NSV today, last summer I bought this blouse that I thought I'd wear last year (NOT:sad: ) it being too small, it finally fit today and I'm wearing it...how I ever thought I could wear it last summer is beyond me as I'm #20 less than last summer...crazy how I was seeing myself...I'm liking this look much better:love: There are still some capris that are still waiting for these last #9.5 to go and we will get there..just takes time and determination...which I do have:heart:

:drinker: Log it, move it and drink it (it being water of course:wink: )

Laura80111:smile:
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hello Ladies,
    I did get some things done last night :smile: , but as my brother and his grandson came over to see my Mom and then , later one of my neices and one of my nephews and one of my granddaughts came over I did not get as much as I wanted to done, However I never, never give up, right! :bigsmile: I did walk in from the back 40 parking lot and plan to do some walking on my brake,

Jen I feel the same way sometimes, but I have to remined myself that I do work 12 hour shifts and I do a lot of helping other people , church and what have you. I spend as much time as i can with family because I have learned that it is something that once it is gone you can never get it back. kids grow up , move away and older ones pass on, so I try to find ways to sneek a exercise in here and there, and at the end of the day it will all add up. also some of those people are young or do exercise as thier jobs, personal trainers and such. :happy:

Barbiecat; Sasha is a pretty dog, is that a real cat in the photo, and do they get along? I have a Golden Retriever named Bear, he is 7 years old and I know what you mean about thinking of them as younger. Bear is a big baby and it is hard to believe he is 7 years he dose not like the 80 degree weather but loves to go for a walk. :wink:

Laurelfisher : Thank God for the Ronald Mc Donald Houses, I don't think a lot of people realy understand how much they do. We have one here also, and they are a blessing to so many. 9 pounds is great and you still have a little over a week so your goal is still within reach. you can do it! We are cheering for you!:bigsmile: and also praying that all goes well today.

Katiejarr: 110 WOW that is hot,hot,hot:glasses: it has been in the upper80's here. My DH shaved his head while I was at camp. When I saw it I could have cryed :sad: , he had great hair, however it is hot and he works in a garage and it will grow back.right! stay cool and have fun on your trip.

Kathy : so sorry to hear of your keen pain:frown: Try a Bike Pedal Peddler 29.95 on Amazon.com You can put it on the table and use your hands and arms, it is ideal for toning arms , stimulales circulation and the tension can be ajusted. you may be able to find them at walmart also. good luck with the MRI

Nancy: as long as it fits in the menu great! I love anything with blueberrys in it. Having a meal with friends under the maple tree sounds wonderful, keeping my fingers crossed that you will have good weather.

Amanda so happy to hear the trip went well and that you had fun with DD#2 , sorry that you are sad, it is hard to let them go. but more important is that she is happy, and think of the new trip you can make to see her and what fun they will be.

well it is almost time for my lunch time walk so I have better get thing in order for the one that will sit in for me.
    have a wonderful day ladies !
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies,

Nancy-Thanks for the utube links!-I didn't even think of that and best of all it's free! Unemployed at the moment so VERY happy that I found those and more to exercise with-didn't really want to spend money on dvd's.

Laura-Thanks for the support!

Rpphillip-Thanks for the tip on the Bike Pedal Peddler! Even if I can't afford it right now, I am going to check it out and prob put on my wishlist!

Kathy
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon all, Matthew's procedure went well. The doctor came in and said that when he has the open heart surgery next month they will remove the band that they put on his heart when he was a baby . Then they will repair the hole, the doctor also told us that the other holes were closing. ( Matthew was born with 5 congenital heart defects and an imperforate *kitten*) Imperforate *kitten* is a defect that is present from birth (congenital) in which the opening to the *kitten* is missing or blocked. Matthew had no opening at all and had Colosymy surgery when he was 3 days old. He has had 8 major surgeries to date. Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes. If you have never been to a Ronald McDonald House and there is one near you, take a tour. You will be amazed at all of the wonderful things they do. The one I am staying at is better than some of the hotels I've stayed. Volunteers come in during the week and prepare dinner and on the weekends they prepare breakfast. Everyone have a great Thursay. :heart: Love ((((Hugs)))) and prayers, Rose
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon all, Matthew's procedure went well. The doctor came in and said that when he has the open heart surgery next month they will remove the band that they put on his heart when he was a baby . Then they will repair the hole, the doctor also told us that the other holes were closing. ( Matthew was born with 5 congenital heart defects and an imperforate *kitten*) Imperforate *kitten* is a defect that is present from birth (congenital) in which the opening to the *kitten* is missing or blocked. Matthew had no opening at all and had Colosymy surgery when he was 3 days old. He has had 8 major surgeries to date. Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes. If you have never been to a Ronald McDonald House and there is one near you, take a tour. You will be amazed at all of the wonderful things they do. The one I am staying at is better than some of the hotels I've stayed. Volunteers come in during the week and prepare dinner and on the weekends they prepare breakfast. Everyone have a great Thursay. :heart: Love ((((Hugs)))) and prayers, Rose

Rose : So Happy to hear he is doing well and it is amazing what some of our heart kids go though, some of them go though more in the 1st year of thier life than we do a hole life time. it is hard on the whole familey, I have see Faith realy tested here and when people ask me how I can work in a Childrens hospital , I smile and say you know some days are hard, but I look at the miracles, I get to see Gods Miracles every day, and they out way the bad . I will keep you and your familey in paryer that Matthew will continue to heal . enjoy you weekend and have a safe trip.:flowerforyou:
    Rachel
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Have been catching up on all your posts and am once again inspired.

Rose you remind us all of what is truly important. Family. Love and Prayers to Matthew and all your family.

We, had a family day yesterday just husband daughter and I celebrating her 21st birthday. No calorie counting. Filled the day with lots of lovely memories. Breakfast was pancakes restaurant. The a stroll around the museum of contempory Art, on to a manicure and massage, late lunch Italian restaurant then DD and I had work. Finishing the evening with a glass of bubbly at a bar with the beautiful harbour as our backdrop.

Now it's DH birthday today and we go on our little comedy cruise. Don't think I will be counting calories till I'm back next week. Cruise departure has been delayed due to bad weather. Yikes I'm already anxious enough.
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    :flowerforyou: One last check in for today, I had a great work out today.:smile: From chasing after a 2 yr old,:huh: working out twice in the RMD work out room (15 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the bike) I walked to AI Dupont (20 minutes part of it uphill) pulling said 2 yr. old in a wagon, and then walking back to RMD house trying to keep wagon from getting away from me on said hill. The second workout my daughter went with me while SIL stayed in room with Matthew and Rowan (hospital released him a few hours after his procedure) and half way through my bike ride she gets a text to get back to the room cause Matthew had a fever and was throwing up. Instead of waiting for the elevator we RAN up3 flights of stairs. Matthew is fine, my daughter called the hospital and said it was normal aftr the procedure and to just keep an eye on him. He is pretty much back to normal and watching Stewart Little. I am exhausted and going to bed. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Thank you again ladies for you support. :heart: Much love ((((HUGS)))) and prayers, Rose :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Rose, your amazing attitude in the face of crisis and many things going on at once is inspiring :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

rpphillip, the cat in the picture is Bernie, age 5 part Maine Coon. He loves the dogs and they love him. He teases the dogs and gets them to chase him all over the house then he jumps up on something high and looks down and laughs :laugh: :laugh: All three of them sleep with us and during the day the three of them nap on the bed together.

:flowerforyou: We went to a beautiful wedding this evening in a lovely garden event center...I stayed away from the juices and sugary beverages and cake but ate my dinner (salad, stuffed chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes, and a dark roll)

:flowerforyou: I got to line dance this morning and the teacher was leaving because of a family emergency. She had set up the sound system and her ipod and the step sheets and asked me to teach until she came back.....it turned out to be only for 30 minutes but I had a blast.:bigsmile:

:heart: :yawn: :yawn: Barbie from NW Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    leditrix - welcome. Tell us more about yourself

Amanda - I share your heartache about you daughter most likely never living in England again. I'm of the opinion that Bryan just may never live in the US and it breaks my heart. But I know that he's happy

Nancy - I KNEW you would come to Kathy's rescue!

Laura - it's been a long time for me, too, since I've seen a loss of 2 pounds in one week, usually it's just .5 or 1 at most. Way to go on the blouse!

Got a question for everyone. As you know, we're getting a pool (yippee!). Well, I know that a lot of people are asking me if I'll have a pool party. I do want to have one, but there is a part of me that is a tad bit concerned about the food that I should serve. People will be expecting things like hot dogs and hamburgers. I don't want to seem like a party pooper, but I'm just not real crazy about either one, neither are my calories for the day. Next Wednesday we're having people over. I said I would cook. I'm planning to have lobster tails (for me and really for everyone else, but at least it's something that I can have), a beef tenderloin, corn on the cob (I can have it without butter), white and sweet potatoes, a banana chocolate cake (I'll have some of that) and a key lime pie. See how I'm sneakily getting food that I can have? Anyway, I can't afford to serve lobster tails to everyone who wants to come here. I have no problem skipping dessert or having a cake/pie along with some fruit (which I'll eat). Anyone have a suggestion, tho, about something that is fairly inexpensive to put on the grill? I wouldn't mind grilling that along with some hot dogs/hamburgers.

Rose - what good news! Thanks for sharing, I'm so happy for you

Jen - have a great time on your cruise. When you get back, you MUST give us details

Did 40 minutes of the Power Sculpt DVD. Tomorrow I'll do work on the bosu, haven't done that in a while.

The guy from the city marked where the gas lines were for the pool installaation (not like that'll affect the installation), but the guy who came for the electricity only marked where it comes into the house, he didn't mark the fact that it goes to the garage. Now that's something that definitely needs attention so Vince called the gal in the office of the pool installer and they will call the city to come back out. We marked outside today where the pool will be. Technically, it's a bit over the repair area for the septic. Don't know if they're going to call us on that or not.

Jessica came here today for the weekend. Took out her new computer. It is kewl, that I must say.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Rose , so happy for your family and the surgery news. I will continue to add you and yours in my thoughts for a speedy recovery and a healthy boy! And yes, prayers to the people at Ronald McDonald House too. Have yet to require their services, but have been there to see the work they do.:flowerforyou:
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning Ladies, up at 6:30, got grand babies changed, took them down stairs and fed them ( while DD and SIL got a little peace and quiet and well deserved sleep:yawn: ) while they ate I mixed a Visalus shake made with Coconut Almond Breeze.:tongue: yummy! Then off we went, them in the wagon and me pulling them up one hill and then another. WHAT a WORKOUT.:noway: I put as exercise Hiking cause it sure wasn't a walk LOL.:laugh: I feel wonderful after I drank a bottle of water and rested for a few minutes:bigsmile: Kateblue72, Michelle and Barbie thank you so much for all your prayers and comment. They are very much appreciated. I am getting ready to leave the RMH and head to my mothers's ( She lives 3 hours from me and I only get to see her about 3 times a year) it's only about 2 hours from here. I probably won't be back on until Sunday night cause' my mother doesn't have internet.:huh: Everyone have a great Friday! :heart: Love ((((Hugs)))) and prayers, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: TGI Friday:flowerforyou:

Rose-sounds like Matthew has already had a lot in his short life. Will continue to pray for all of you as you continue to walk through all that his furture holds for him. Glad this last surgery was successful:flowerforyou: What a great workout you were able to get in with the grandkiddos...very smart. Enjoy your visit with you Mom:flowerforyou:

jellyfishjen- enjoy your comedy cruise, it sure sounds fun and what a way to celebrate Birthdays...laughing is always good:laugh: I'm wondering if we laugh enough it will take away some of the weight:huh:

Barbie- your line dance teacher is so fortunate to have you there, being able to fill in on a seconds notice:flowerforyou: You are so diciplined..passing up the wedding cake too:drinker:

Michele- for the pool party, have to you thought of having everyone "bring your own meat to BBQ" :huh: then you can provide other stuff and if you do invitations you can say bring your own meat to BBQ and a list of suggestions and include lobster on your list so that when someone sees your lobster tail on the grill they don't melt with envy. That way if someone only wants a hotdog or a hamburger or better yet a T-bone steak you aren't footing the hugh bill.

Yesterday we tried to have a bike ride after I got home from work and found that after 15 minutes we were fighting the wind too much:noway: so turned around and put the bikes back in the truck and headed out for a walk. The walk doesn't burn enough calories for me but it's better than nothing.

Not sure how much logging and reading I will get in this weekend it's another busy one ahead and I will strive to get in plenty of exercise...of course it's the eating that always gets me in trouble on the weekends.

Our weather is supposed to be in the low 100's for the next 3-5 days...the radio people say one thing, the TV people say another and my computer says something else...but they all agree that it will be HOT:devil: So it may be evening walks and heading to the basement to exercise in a cooler place...will see.

Everyone have a great day. Let's keep moving, logging and drinking plenty of water:drinker: it's the water that can really make the difference.

Laura80111:smile:

PS Before I post I always check to see if someone else is posting at the same time...it seems like Nancy and I cross the "Post Reply" at the same time a lot:laugh:
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    Evening all.........

:drinker: :drinker: I must confess I haven't read any posts and............after a few glasses of wine ...all I can say after posting my food diary is..........:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Ooooops!!!

Back tomorrow!!!

BFN
    :flowerforyou: Jackie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Laura - interesting suggestion about "bring your own meat to barbecue". Never thought of that. Then I can have my veggie burger and not look "weird". Thanks for the suggestion

Did an hour on the bosu ball today. Tomorrow...yoga. First, the farmers market to get some corn and see what else they have

Hope everyone hasw a great evening.

Boy, it sure is quiet in here today.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Michele, bring your own stuff to bbq sounds like a great idea and better than mine---I was going to suggest cutting up chicken, onions, peppers, pineapple, squash and maybe some other stuff for people to construct their own kebabs.

:flowerforyou: today I taught the beginner line dance class for my friend whose husband is ill......Jake came and watched for awhile and thought I did great. The class is small and enthusiastic and it was great fun.

:flowerforyou: I thought I'd be able to work in the yard today but after 30 minutes it started raining and hasn't stopped since.

:flowerforyou: Rose, your family is blessed to have you.....you are like an anchor to keep them from drifting away out of control....congrats on working out while you were at the RMH.

:drinker: :drinker: tomorrow is cleanse/rest/sleep late day.....I can hardly wait. :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where the rain is keeping everything green :bigsmile:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend ladies.

I'm feeling rather leaden today. I have a bad arthritis flare up in my knee again and I'm trying to push through it with gentle exercise but it's really making me grit my teeth. As I'm at work and I normally like to run up the four flights of stairs here at least once an hour, I am struggling. Just have to give in and accept that I will have to walk them instead.

My DH also sprung it on me this morning that he has invited his friend over for breakfast tomorrow morning before they go off hiking. This means I will have to jump out of bed at silly o'clock to cook breakfast. Before you ask, no DH is NOT capable. He just can't cook! I'd probably end up with a destroyed kitchen. I'm going to try to keep it simple and do something like my special fluffy scrambled eggs with fresh bread and sauteed mushrooms. If they want meat they will just have to wait until they hit the road. I normally cook meat for DH but no way am I doing it at 4:30 am.

Oh - just realised I'm grumpy - need to try to shake that off and plaster a smile on my face!

Have a good day my lovely friends.

Hugs all round.
    Amanda x
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Sorry I've been missing almost a week :noway: :noway: Didn't realise it was that long until I've read all the posts, lots of pages to catch up on.

:flowerforyou: Prayers to Rose and family, hope your grandbaby continues to get back to good health.

:flowerforyou: Congrats to all the losers, I'm still hoping to join you - but I need to get my act together first!

:flowerforyou: Jackie at least you are logging your food most days, this is what I need to do t get back on track.

:frown: Don't know if it's the weather (rain rain and more rain) but I haven't felt motivated - I just want "hibernate" BUT this has got to stop!! I WILL force myself to get moving. There I have said it now i must do it.

:smile: Well if I am to walk the walk and not just talk it, I'd better get some work done. I have a few things to sort out and with all this wet weather I have plenty of doggy towels and blankets to wash etc :bigsmile:

I'll be back.
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! It is a beautiful, sunny day here for my first day of summer vacation. The last two weeks were incredibly busy and I have not met all of my goals. Today will be a fresh start!

I have downloaded the couch to 5k running program to my i-pod. It is time to get serious about preparing for a 5k in August.

I don't often post but the stories, encouragement,exercise and food ideas are all fantastic motivation.

We are leaving today for a week at the ocean in Maine with two of my sisters. I am taking a zumba dvd, 6 week workout dvd,and a resistance band. We will take long walks on the beach as well as complete the first week of the couch to 5k program. I have planned a lot of healthy meals and snacks. Ice cream will be the biggest challenge. I will just have to plan ahead!

Have a great day all! Deb
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ladies!!!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Rose - sending my prayers to you and your family, how scary for the little guy.

Amanda - I love silly o'clock, that gave me a nice giggle. I too would not want to be cooking quiet that early!

It`s getting close to the end of June, I am still trying to get to my calorie goal, sometimes a glass of wine helps a bit. I was just eating so few calories before because I just was not hungry, so increasing my calories some is an accomplishment for me. I do find now that I get hungry, which i think is great. My walking is so-so, most times I don`t log it because then I really have too many calories left over. The weight is now finally coming off, so far 17 pounds, weigh in day is tomorrow, I would have never believed I would have to eat more to lose weight. Anyhow this site has really opened my eyes and I`m thankful I found it and thankful I found this amazing group of fabulous women!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Hugs,

DeeDee
  • hazelohoheight
    hazelohoheight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am new today. Have also spent too much money on weight watchers.....I am convinced that I can do this without them, but just need moral support. I am 53 and want to get healthy above all, so the fitness part is by biggest goal. Hope all of you can help give me a boost.