Can you substitute low fat milk with almond milk in baking?

115perfection
115perfection Posts: 109 Member
Could I use almond milk instead of low fat milk when making muffins or other baking?
Do I just need the moistness of the milk or is there something else that real milk does in baking that almond milk wont?
Thanks! :)

Replies

• mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    yes. you can.
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    yes. you can.

thanks!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Good to know! Thx!
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    I do this all the time because I love the lower calories and the extra flavor that the almond milk adds to baking. Try making pancakes with almond milk sometime, they are the best!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    I substitute all sorts of stuff for whole milk when baking. Favorites are champagne and fresh squeezed lemon juice. I've also done nonfat milk. It actually makes the desserts fluffier!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Sure, but if it is as sweet as the almond millk I bought, you might want to reduce the sugar in your recipe a bit.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    I've done it with my muffin, banana bread, and pancake recipes, and it's turned out fine. I would suggest that you start making your own almond milk instead of buying it. Not only is it cheaper to make your own, it's also healthier. There's an ingredient in the store-bought stuff that isn't so great.
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    You can use it for baking however it does not work so well when making pudding pie!!!!! The pudding does not set like it is supposed to.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Yes you can! Soy and oat milk work fine too :-)
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    LOVE almond milk. I use it in all my banking and in smoothies.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    yes u can I do it all the time.
  • yes, but not for anything with pudding! the pudding will stay soupy :ohwell: but for pretty much anything else, go for it!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    So it doesn't affect the texture of the muffins or anything? I just realized we're out of milk and I was going to make some blueberry muffins for our anniversary breakfast this morning.
  • Minaayyy
    Minaayyy Posts: 1
    Can you do it in a vice versa way? Like use fat free milk instead of almond milk?
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    I find that almond milk changes the texture of certain things too much (for example, cupcakes). Other stuff I don't notice at all. I think it may be the difference in protein content, but I'm not sure. I have used soy milk and other things more successfully as subs, but I still never find it to be quite the same. Altering the recipe sometimes helps - also making sure the almond milk is unsweetened so you aren't drastically changing the sweetness profile.
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    I've successfully substituted semi-skimmed cows milk with almond milk, oat milk and kara coconut milk in baking before and each time the results were great, and dairy free. :)
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    I do this all the time :) Makes lactose intolerance easier to cook for... Just don't accidentally put vanilla almond milk in mashed potatoes :laugh: I won't tell you how I know that
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    I do this all the time :) Makes lactose intolerance easier to cook for... Just don't accidentally put vanilla almond milk in mashed potatoes :laugh: I won't tell you how I know that

Or cheesy pasta bakes... >.>
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    I substitute all sorts of stuff for whole milk when baking. Favorites are champagne and fresh squeezed lemon juice. I've also done nonfat milk. It actually makes the desserts fluffier!

I have never thought about trying that. I might have to. :drinker:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    So it doesn't affect the texture of the muffins or anything? I just realized we're out of milk and I was going to make some blueberry muffins for our anniversary breakfast this morning.

It kind of does. But I don't think it changes it so much that it's bothersome, to be honest.