NSV: Completed first 6K without training!

Options
First off, I'm not much of a runner because I don't find it very fun or interesting. The past two months since I started becoming more serious about my weight loss, I've been going to the gym consistently - doing mostly spinning and group fitness classes and weight training. I could definitely feel my body getting stronger and my endurance going up especially in my spin classes but i didn't really run because I found my other exercises more interesting.

Two days ago, my friend just told me about the Great British 6K run in Central Park (I live in NYC), and suggested we just sign up for it because it looked like fun. I was a little skeptical about it especially since I don't consider myself a runner and it was such short notice and we wouldn't have any sort of training for it at all. We decided to hell with it, let's just do it, and just did a yoga class the day before.

I did it today, and I can just say it was such a great time! Just the energy of the whole race was amazing and I surprised myself by being able to complete it in 39:20! Now getting off on the adrenaline rush of completing it, I'm much more motivated in knowing that I can become even faster if I actually train for it. So here's to hopefully a newfound joy in running! And hoping for a 10K in my future!

Replies

• ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Even though i enjoy running, its the racing that i love!

You find yourself enjoying running training as you know when your next race comes around you will be faster and stronger!

Sign yourself up to more races and this will motivate you to get out more. Pushing yourself to take those seconds and minutes off your Personal Best :)

And its an amazing feeling when you do beat your PB, knowing all that hard training was really worth it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!