Setting Multiple Goal Weights.

Options
So I noticed on a friend's profile that her About Me has multiple goal weights and lastly her final, ultimate goal weight. I had never seen anyone do this before, and I thought it was an awesome idea! Here's what mine looks like:

Start Weight: 141
Current Weight: 141 (I know, I suck)
1st Goal Weight: 138
2nd Goal Weight: 135
3rd Goal Weight: 132
4th Goal Weight: 129
5th Goal Weight: 126
Final Goal Weight: 125

The way I calculated mine (and this will be different for everyone, depending upon their weights), was to take my start weight and find 98% of that (for the mathematically challenged, multiply your start weight by 0.98) and that number was my first goal. For the next weight, I rounded the first goal weight up or down to the nearest whole number and then found 98% of that. Then I just kept repeating the process until I got down to my final goal number.

I think this is a great idea to work your way down because instead of facing a larger number and trying to lose 16 pounds, I have much smaller milestones that are about three pounds. Like I said, because this is based upon percentage, the milestones will be bigger and smaller for people of different weights, but it's still a way to make your goal weight a little easier to achieve. Plus, if you lose ten pounds and only focus on your ultimate goal weight, you're more likely to feel discouraged than if you take notice of your milestones.

What do you guys think of this? Do any of you already follow a similar method, or do you think you might start using this one too?

Replies

• KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Shameless self-bump.
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree, breaking monumental tasks down into smaller, more manageable ones is a good idea. Makes them seem more achievable somehow and not so daunting.

I haven't broken my goals down into such small increments but my current goal is not my final one (I hope!), I plan to reach that and then reassess.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Shameless self-bump.

LOL :laugh:
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I set myself goals of 5lbs per month and as long as I hit that, I don't feel so bad about the odd "cheat day" here and there :)
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this.
    I haven't written them down anywhere, but I know what they are - at least my first two, then it's a matter of assessment to work out how far I want to go.
    As of this morning, I'm 0.2kg away from my first goal :)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I agree, breaking monumental tasks down into smaller, more manageable ones is a good idea. Makes them seem more achievable somehow and not so daunting.

I haven't broken my goals down into such small increments but my current goal is not my final one (I hope!), I plan to reach that and then reassess.
    Yes, that's how I was originally doing it -- my first goal was 135, and though it shouldn't be a difficult goal, I've not achieved it yet, and then I'd get a little frustrated that even when I got closer and closer, it seemed to feel further and further away. Ultimately, everyone just has to do what works best for them, you know? <3.
    I set myself goals of 5lbs per month and as long as I hit that, I don't feel so bad about the odd "cheat day" here and there :)
    That sounds like a good goal to follow! About one and a quarter pound a week, which sounds pretty healthy to me. =).
    Yes, I do this.
    I haven't written them down anywhere, but I know what they are - at least my first two, then it's a matter of assessment to work out how far I want to go.
    As of this morning, I'm 0.2kg away from my first goal :)
    That's awesome! You're so close~. <3. Yeah, I originally wasn't writing anything down either, but I'm a more... I'm a more visual person, and I feel more motivated when I see things in charts, graphs, and percentages, so just seeing a number written down motivates me *that much more*.