Calorie counting > dieting

Options
So...I know this is poor nutrition, and I know I could have made better choices, and I don't really need a nutrition lecture... This is NOT a daily practice, it is not jumping off a healthy eating bandwagon, its a once in a blue moon incident, and me being very grateful that I can enjoy the incident in full.

BUT OMG counting calories so so much less stressful than dieting.

I had a ridiculously late lunch today (It was almost dinner time by the time I ate lunch) and after that, I just REALLY REALLY didn't want anything resembling dinner, BUT I did get hungry later, for a snack sized food, not a meal sized food... and I had plenty of calories left over...

And I had ICE CREAM. ENTIRELY GUILT FREE. I wasn't breaking any sort of crazy diet of what I can and can't eat. I just logged the calories, admitted to myself that it's not the best nutritional content,sat down, enjoyed every last bite, and realized that I had plenty of calories to spare for a nommy nommy treat.

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I had ice cream drumsticks the other night for dinner lol we were too hot for anything else and nothing else sounded good!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Why is having an ice cream a bad thing? Balance in all things. Of course you want to make healthy choices... You want a balance of nutrients and don't want a lot of empty calories.. .but ICE CREAM is not totally empty.. Yeah, it has some sugar in it but it also has some calcium in it. Balance in all things. Hope you enjoyed it!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the greatest thing? :laugh: It's all about portions and trying to cut out the processed sugars and processed food! Eating more veggies, more fruit, more protein .. you can still have what you like; just maybe cut out a little something here and there or trade it out for something better (1 tbsp of mayo vs. 2 tbsp of light mayo for me - I love mayo!) and voila!

I find I can still have exactly what I want but I share the meal or save half for later. It's amazing! Calorie counting is way better than any fad diet. :bigsmile: It's a lifestyle!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think that's great...you had the cals so who cares? glad you enjoyed it :)
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My thing is cake pops lol
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Its all about a lifestyle, rules and boundaries. Calorie counting has worked for me simply because there is no set rules as to what you are REQUIRED to have more or less boundaries are set in relation to what you can have.
  • losingthehealthyway
    Options
    Agreed! I had ice cream for lunch yesterday and I didn't feel bad about it at all. I was actually quite proud of myself for sticking to the serving size.
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I've had ice cream more in the time I've been on MFP than for months prior. As long as you're keeping track, and staying within your calorie budget, it's all good. That's the beauty of it. :)
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me, yummy yummy
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely, you'll get no lecture from me. You enjoy your food and are learning to enjoy it more fully. That can't be bad.

Last night i had a huge steak dinner with a baked potato with butter and sour cream. I'd had a light healthy breakfast, a light healthy lunch and a big walk in the evening, leaving room for a great big delicious healthy dinner!! Yum. And still came in under my calorie goal.

That's exactly why calorie counting is sustainable and dieting is not. I say well done to you!!
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, you should enjoy eating!

I did however make a huge mistake last night, thinking I had enough calories left over for a dessert after my dinner. After I'd polished off the (actually quite small panna cotta) I checked the packet to log my cals & realised it was 420, taking me over by about 300! I had a small freak out then realised I'd completely enjoyed that dessert so it was justified!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    That's what I love about MFP, there are no rules about what you can or can't eat. It really annoys me when I tell my dad I'm eating a snack that includes chocolate or have cheese for lunch or something and he's like 'that's very fattening'. I can't avoid chocolate and cheese for the rest of my life, that's just unrealistic.

This is NOT a diet, it's a lifestyle change - why take out the pleasures in life just because they contain extra calories?
    Everything in moderation :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's the whole point - you can enjoy a treat now and again and you can see the impact on your calories. As long as you still have a calorie deficit you can still lose weight - even if you eat icecream!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think that's great. You understand that ice cream isn't the best choice, based purely on nutritional content, and with that knowledge you can make different choices at other times (if you want to!) The most important thing I can see about this situation is that you have taken guilt out of the equation. Ice cream is not evil; it's just food after all.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That is a big step to be able to wrap your mind around. It's hard to think that way when you have struggled with weight issues and have had the idea of "bad food" pounded into your head. Good for you!!
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you all... & I must add that now I know I can have whatever I want in moderation I'm not craving certain foods at all because nothing is banned or has too many points lol... I automatically want to eat the more healthier things now..
  • msjenoir
    msjenoir Posts: 1
    Options
    Couldn't agree more that you should enjoy it guilt free - you've made yourself accountable by working within your daily energy requirements.

Without having considered your daily calorie requirements it could be so easy to say 'well I've blown it for the day now' and continue the bad eating... at least this way you take responsibility for those 'naughty' food choices responsibly :)
  • Catman_Jellytot
    Catman_Jellytot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't diet... I calorie count.

I've not said to myself "no, you can't eat that"... I am more thinking "Do you REALLY want that?"... If I really want it, I have it. It makes my weight loss a whole lot more enjoyable.

So far, I haven't had many sweet things, despite my ridiculous sweet tooth, and I am really enjoying what I am eating (bacon salad with french dressing... DELISH! 217 calories :))

I have been logging everything I eat, which helps me a lot. I just take down the calories and fat content in each.

So far I have lost 6lbs... and have got 35 to go.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I build ice cream into my daily values .... and pizza .... and sushi ... those are my higher carb days :)

Enjoy! No one ever said we had to completely forget what chocolate cake tasted like just because we want to be healthier!
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow!! Single serving cups (1 cup) and only 150 calories...
    I love it!! No guilt, just pleasure!!
    :love: