Working Outdoors

YankeeDude
YankeeDude Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi. I'm new. My GF set this up for me and we are trying to figure out what to enter for manual labor working outside digging ditches all day? I entered 7 hours of gardening, but it gave me close to 5K extra calories for the day. I don't believe that is all that accurate. Otherwise, I would be a toothpick... and I'm not.

Please help?

Thanks!

Replies

• twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    It actually is plausible. The answer is in energy exerted & heart rate while working. For example, I have a heart rate monitor & wore it while doing home repairs at my parent's house. One day was 12hrs & I burned 5,200 cals & another day was 11 hrs & I burned 3,000 cals. The first one involved a lot of lifting, ladder climbing, etc & the other was painting. Without having a heart rate monitor there's no way to know for sure. Personally, I've found that MFP underestimates some things for me & overestimates for others--I have the same problem with machines at the gym. So if you want to know for sure, invest in a good HRM. Otherwise I'd recommend eating only half of exercise calories.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    i would just change your activity rate in your fitness profile to the most active one
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Gardening is dang good exercise!
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    I am set on the second to highest activity level. So I shouldn't factor it in, even though there are days when all I do is crawl around in Attics. I'm an Electrician... so some days are mork work than others. Thanks for the advice. I may look into a HRM.
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    HAHA! I didn't realize I was on my profile, not his. I try to log his foods and stuff in since he doesn't work in an office. :)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    I am set on the second to highest activity level. So I shouldn't factor it in, even though there are days when all I do is crawl around in Attics. I'm an Electrician... so some days are mork work than others. Thanks for the advice. I may look into a HRM.

just remember when you get the hrm to subtract the cals that you burn from just being alive anyway, i forget what the calculation is, someone knows it and will probably chime in on this! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.