What to eat when you're traveling for work

Options
I travel every week for work and it's really hard to eat well since it's always at a restaurant. Also, evenings alone in a hotel room room are a recipe for disaster! Room service, vending machines...help!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    take all snacks with you. you can pack healthy things like pre-cut and pre-washed fruits and veggies, granola bars, etc. as for meals, try eating at chain restaurants that you know have nutrition information available. i know this is hard, especially when you're trying to compromise with coworkers so if your going to a restaurant that doesn't have nutrition information available, just try to make smart choices. don't be afraid to have the chefs specially prepare something for you. always order dressing on the side. only eat half of your meal and box the rest.
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    try preplanning what you'll have at the restaurants to stay within your calories. Most places have their menus and nutritional info online. I'm leaving for a business trip soon and am thinking about the same thing so good luck! :drinker:
  • tijerinam
    tijerinam Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. Any suggestions for how to pack fruits and veggies when you don't have access to a fridge and you have to shove it all in a suitcase? Thanks again?
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Eat at subway. Look up the restaurants near by and find the best choice for food. My bf and I do that BEFORE we go out.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OH and write everything down still.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Are you flying or driving?
    You can pack baggies or reusable containers of raw veggies & fruit in insulated lunchbags & carry them on a plane in your carry-on or purse or briefcase. Don't take any of those freezy things to keep them cold. :grumble:
    They won't get too warm unless you're traveling for more than 5 hours. As soon as you can, put them in the ice bucket or room fridge.
    Nuts portioned into baggies, healthy snack bars & string cheese are also good. I took cheese in my carry on to Hawaii & at the end of the trip it was a little wilted, but not bad.
    If you have snacks handy & preplan your meals it can be done. Just don't slide into an "everyone else is having it" slump.
    Stand up to the pressure!
    :flowerforyou:
    You can do it!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I travel every week for work and it's really hard to eat well since it's always at a restaurant. Also, evenings alone in a hotel room room are a recipe for disaster! Room service, vending machines...help!
    You didn't mention how long you were away. Are you at a hotel for 5 days?
    Is there a Grocery store nearby that you can pick up fresh items?
    Bring a cooler, and pack stuff in cooler for a few days?

Perhaps buy a loaf of whole wheat or 12 grain bread, Jar of almond/peanut butter.
    Fruits, some veggies, Hummus.

Preplanning is important, if you bring some proper snacks with you, you won't spend your money at the vending machines.