Rice Recipes?

Options
silhouettes
silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
I never liked rice until recently, but I started liking it.. guess tastes change!

We are making various chicken recipes this week and I thought rice would taste great with them.

I was wondering do any of you have any rice recipes (for a side) to spice up the rice a bit so it isn't as bland?

I seen a few recipes on skinnytaste.com I might try, but anyone else have any suggestions?

(Most of the recipes are chicken rolled in things like spinach and mexicanish chicken dishes.)

Replies

• Sylv93
    Sylv93 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    An aunt of mine, who is turkish, makes a dish (think it's traditional, but she may have invented it...) in which she mixes chicken, rice, some pine nuts and dried apricots, i think with a little cinnamon. It's really tasty (not sure how healthy, but as long as you measure everything relatively carefully i doubt it would be really high) and quite flavourful. Personally I'm not a huge fan of spicy foods, but I expect if you added some Morrocan or Turkish style spices that could turn out nicely. Hope that helps! :)
  • magsmassey
    magsmassey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually add some chopped cilantro to rice. You could also cook it with broth instead of water.
  • vlahan
    vlahan Posts: 8
    Options
    I like to cook rice in chicken broth rather than water. Also add 1 or 2 shredded carrots to it for some color and taste
  • JenC098
    JenC098 Posts: 1
    Options
    I make my own, super easy, fried rice.

Ingredients:
    1 cup uncooked brown rice
    1 pkt stirfry veges (I use the crunchy ones from Sainsbury's)
    1 egg
    1 clove garlic (chopped)
    kecap manis (sweet soy- if you want to keep the calories really low substitute regular soy)
    sambal oelek (for spice)

Cook the rice (if you want extra flavour throw some stock powder into the water). When the rice is cooked set aside and fry the garlic in a tiny bit of oil, then add and lightly stirfry the veges, then add the cooked rice, crack the egg over the top and stir through until cooked, add kecap manis and sambal oelek to taste.

It's super easy and tasty. It makes two really big plates of fried rice.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I never really liked rice either, until I discovered Texmati rice. It is good plain, very fragrant. I sometimes make it with fresh cilantro and lime juice.
  • sokizzme
    sokizzme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try spicy pork mince basil or change pork mince to chicken breast..it is thai style side dish very popular to have with rice also put 1 fried egg for each person (or you can change to boiled egg for less fat intake)

All you need is
    - pork mince or chicken
    - basil
    - peppers
    - garlic
    - salt/ soy sauce, sugar

chopped garlic and pepper put it on pan with some oil stir for 5-10 sec then put pork mince/ chicken. put some soy sauce and sugar then stir until meat done. Put basil stir for 5-10 sec.... done!!

There are much more Thai side dish menu let's try some Thai menu it's great!!!
  • mirfan25
    mirfan25 Posts: 45
    Options
    For mexican dishes I make this super easy spanish rice:

2 tbs extra virgin ilive oil (you can put less)
    1.5 cups rice
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 cup salsa
    (you can use reduced sodium for both the broth and salsa)
    cumin powder, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, tabasco or other hot sauce to taste - you can do without these if you don't have...

heat olive oil in a heavy bottom saucepan, add rice and fry till brown or a few minutes, dump the broth, salsa, and spices, bring to boil quickly and stir, reduce heat to minimum possible while still simmering, cover and cook 20 minutes.. Ideally don't open the cover for the full 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir, serve immediately..