New to biking...what should I keep in my saddle

Options
tony2009
tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
Hello all,

I am new to the world of cycling, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have always liked to bike, but the only bike I ever had were cheap little Huffys and such from Walmart. I know it's not a good idea, but I ended up with another bike from Walmart, but I got it used from someone for a really good price. (I'll upgrade once I'm not a poor college student). I have fully adjusted the front and rear derailleurs and it's running like a champ. Here's the bike:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Avenue-700c-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike/15711187?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15711187&sourceid=1500000000000003260420&veh=cse

I have been ordering some stuff to keep in the front mounted saddle bag because I would really like to ride long distances because it much easier on my knees than running 6+ miles. On a bike I can ride 20+ and my knees don't hurt, which is nice.

Anyways, here's a list of stuff that I have or have ordered for the bike to keep on my for rides.

Tire Patch Kit
49fe_12.JPG

Topeak frame mounted bike pump
f94f_12.JPG

Front headlamp (detachable) and rear light (There are rail to trails systems around here with long tunnels)
$(KGrHqZ,!iYE-esN4ntRBPwywyq+0w~~60_12.JPG

Topeak Hexus II Multi-tool (Chain repair, Hex keys, tire levers, philips and flat heads, torx keys)
518iaFsf3SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Important stuff missing! A copy of your driver's license and insurance card. A $20 bill. A note that says who to contact in case of emergency (or wear a Road ID).

A spare tube. A small rag or some handi wipes if you need to mess with anything and get your hands grungy (I wrap a small rag around my multitool with a rubber band). Also, make sure you practice changing a tube with those tire levers. You might find it easier with a set of easier to use ones (I have the tool in your picture and those levers aren't the greatest).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    A set of reflective velcro-closure straps in case you have to wear "good" pants someday (also useful for adding quick extra visibility if you get caught out at night) - strap one to your left elbow or wrist and one to your left ankle = two extra reflectors.

A small handful of zip-ties - zip-ties can temporarily hold a broken spoke in place and can perform so many tremendously useful emergency field lash-ups.

A few bandages - handy in case you start feeling a blister coming on or get a minor cut. Put them in with the $20 and photocopy of your license and insurance card as trail_rnr mentioned.

I photocopied the front of my driver's license and the front of my insurance card, wrote the insurance contact details next to the insurance card, and wrote In Case Of Emergency numbers for two people on the same sheet of paper. Eventually, I'll get that sheet laminated, but for the moment it's with the $20 and the bandages in a small zip-loc bag. I used a sharpie to color the zip-loc red so it really stands out when you open the repair kit.

I also agree with trail_rnr on everything added - including a better set of tire-removers. And do yourself a favor and have three of them. It's a lot harder with just two.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget flat PREVENTION. I ran a set of Specialized Armadillo tires on my hybrid for about 1,500 miles, and one of them is still going strong. The other started delaminating and needed replacement, so I have a higher-end puncture resistant tire on it. I've ridden through a LOT of glass on those tires and stopped getting flats the day I bought them.

The Armadillos ride is a little harsh and the rolling resistance isn't great, but noting cuts your average speed like spending 10 minutes changing a tube then getting another flat 2 miles later...

Downside: If I ever did get a flat, I'd have to remember 4-year-unused tire repair skills. :)