MFP- Help or HASSLE????

Options
Ok, Im starting to feel like MFP isn’t all that helpful for me. (note I said for ME)

I have lost weight before by watching what I eat and working out. Simple enough right?

NO.

MFP says I should eat 1200 calories and workout and Ill lose “THIS” amount in 5 weeks.

Guy one: You need to eat more, you cant survive on 1200

Girl one: as long as your in a calorie deficit you should lose weight.

Guy two: you cant eat this, this, this, or that.

Girl two: it doesn’t matter what you eat, a calorie is a calorie as long as your in a deficit.

I mean WTH!

I think I need to stop taking the advice of other people and figure out what works for me for a while.

Taking all this advice has me going in circles. Its impossible for me to track and stay under on EVERYTHING.

If im staying under on calories and carbs, I go over on fat

If I track sugar and sodium- I don’t eat enough calories

If I track sodium I get too much sugar and vice versa

It shouldn’t take this much too lose weight man! :grumble: :noway:

Im very dedicated but Im having a VERY hard time figuring out which route to take!

Im thinking I should just focus on netting 1200 calories per day, and staying low on bad carbs and sodium.

And staying off of these message boards.

Thanks for listening :sad: :sad: :yawn:

Replies

• tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why over complicate things? Just eat at a deficit. YOU decide what you eat. If you feel that eating clean is the way for you. Do it. If not, eat whatever you want as long as you are still in a deficit. Unless you're diabetic theres no reason to track sugar. If its a problem just reduce your carbs a little. Sodium is a big deal, it creates retention when you have a surplus of it. How about you start thinking for yourself? What those ppl gave you were just guidelines. Neither way is wrong. ITs just a preference and what worked for THEM.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    exactly, dont over complicate things, net your BMR, cut the white carbs and processed foods, do cardio, lift weights
    if the label has to many ingrediants i cant pronounce i dont eat it

i go over something every day, no ones perfect lol

if one day you go over your sugar (if its fruit it doesnt count as going over to me) *milk has a lot of hidden sugars
    if you go over your fats (if its healthy fats like avocados, nuts olive oil etc i dont stress)
    if you go over your carbs (corn? peas? quinoa? doesnt count as going over for me)

its about making healhier choices, not being perfect, not giving up because its stressful
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed that :-)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Using MFP doesn't relieve you of the need to think. It uses general guidelines and you and you alone have to decide whether they apply to you. If you saw a professional dietitian you'd get more tailored advice, but even then there would be a degree of trial and error.

Having said all that, if I can give a general piece of advice: If something sounds too good to be true, be skeptical.

I've found logging here to be helpful -- more helpful than anything else -- although I do enjoy reading some people's opinions. But I have had t modify my calorie intake based on my own observations. In my case, I went lower than the 1,200 daily calories MFP recommends.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It has helped me~ but I don't look at each individual number like a science. I eat what I eat~ if I'm losing then I must be doing something right. I always go over on my proteins- but who cares, my scale is going down. If my scale quits going down then I will look at changing things up~ do what works for you!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Its a helpful hassle....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MFP or the forums? Big difference. :happy:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It is about finding what works for you. Educate yourself on healthy eating and find healthy subltitutions for the things you love. Portion control is key for me and the more time I do this the less time I have to eat.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I use MFP as more of a guideline to healthy living. it's not 100% of what I do, but it helps me figure out what is the best route for ME.

I read and follow some of the forums, but in the end I need to figure out what works for me.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Its a helpful hassle....

^^This!!!! Yes!!! It is very helpful but knowing myself im freaker outer! and I take it Way overboard and over think the entire thing!

I want to try every method and I want to lose weight NOW! lol I know thats now feasible. Im crazy like that! I just need a day to regroup. I know what I need to do, Just needed a vent. lol
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    you can use MFP for logging your exercise & food and holding yourself accountable. Dont add friends and dont post things and you wont hear varying advice from random people. Personally I like it but if you feel its doing more harm than help then just use it for tracking your progress yourself.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Ok, Im starting to feel like MFP isn’t all that helpful for me. (note I said for ME)

I have lost weight before by watching what I eat and working out. Simple enough right?

NO.

MFP says I should eat 1200 calories and workout and Ill lose “THIS” amount in 5 weeks.

Girl two: it doesn’t matter what you eat, a calorie is a calorie as long as your in a deficit.

I mean WTH!

I think I need to stop taking the advice of other people and figure out what works for me for a while.

Taking all this advice has me going in circles. Its impossible for me to track and stay under on EVERYTHING.

Im very dedicated but Im having a VERY hard time figuring out which route to take!

Im thinking I should just focus on netting 1200 calories per day, and staying low on bad carbs and sodium.

this made me chuckle...
    bump

... and this made me literally laugh out loud.

stop pining for attention. listen to your body and what it feels and use that for weight loss.

dont rant and then bump it five minutes later unless you have good information (which you dont) or have a question you want answered (again, a swing and a miss here)

you have clearly stated what you think you need to do, now go do it.
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
  • fatchiick
    Options
    Its a helpful hassle....

^^This!!!! Yes!!! It is very helpful but knowing myself im freaker outer! and I take it Way overboard and over think the entire thing!

I want to try every method and I want to lose weight NOW! lol I know thats now feasible. Im crazy like that! I just need a day to regroup. I know what I need to do, Just needed a vent. lol

Exactly a helpful barrage of manic and spastic contradictions and well known info ... that's exactly why I don't log.. because I don't watch sugar, soduim, good carbs vs bad carbs etcc I get what's in my calorie limits and get me through my day without making me starve... I don't need the very helpful people of mfp in my diary, "oh you had a baked potato or some rice, those are fast carbs or bad carbs or you had a turkey hot dog that's all sodium and processed or diet soda is bad for you, tea isn't water.... you need to measure i had two extra servings in my bottle of ketchup.. as if 30 extra cals is the culprit lol... I pick and choose the advice. I think will help me lose the weight as you said NOW!!! but I'm not gonna make my head spin with all this.. I take what I want a leave what I don't :(:)
  • fatchiick
    Options

NO.

I mean WTH!

this made me chuckle...
    bump

... and this made me literally laugh out loud.

stop pining for attention. listen to your body and what it feels and use that for weight loss.

dont rant and then bump it five minutes later unless you have good information (which you dont) or have a question you want answered (again, a swing and a miss here)

you have clearly stated what you think you need to do, now go do it.

You're one of the issues lmaooo why tell her YOU think it was a swing and a miss or you have a problem with her bump..

I personally think her post was needed by a lot of people and if it helped one person who felt overwhelmed and is now feeling better KUDOS!!! or simply felt the same way and wanted to express or get it out KUDOS!!!!

Like the op said everyone thinks they have the right answer, and wants to express it even when its complete garbage or they just want to express their Dr. Phil Quack opinion really who comments your post is a swing and a miss and you're comical and heres a list of things you should and shouldn't do/post.. its just odd..

But continue on I really have no issue with it just pointing out the ever so apparent :)
  • msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    only use MFP as a reference and guide. You should seek solid advice from a QUALIFIED physician and/or nutritionist if possible, who can tell you what your body needs. Other than that, listen to your body and your doctor if you have one. Several factors will determine your progress or lack thereof including any undetected medical issues you may have. Hope you find success however you choose to monitor it. GOOD LUCK
  • msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight "NOW", so you cant lose it "NOW"......it's going to take time and you could be hindering your own progress by stressing/freaking out. J/S
  • heatherw_27
    heatherw_27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are so frustrated. I have been there in the past when I was receiving so much contradictory information that I felt overwhelmed. I hope you are feeling better and I hope that venting helped :) I know it helps me to vent. Best of luck to you :)
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I get what you're saying....it is confusing at times b/c person A says something totally different from person B...but, everyone is different, and what worked for A & B might now work for you. You are correct, you do need to figure out what works for you and stick with that. I don't love all the forums on here either, I think so are down right childish, that's why I only click on the ones I'm really interested in....mostly the success stories, b/c they are so inspiring. As far as MFP itself, I don't think I'd be where I'm at if it wasn't for this site...I LOVE it. Its so motivational (most of the time) and I feel like someone is holding me accountable to do my very best. Losing weight is all on you....you have to have it in your heart and mind, and MFP can help if you want it too...just look at the good, not the bad. GOOD LUCK!