alcohol consumption

Options
Hey :)

How do you guys manage your alcohol consumption? I'm 19 and live in the UK and go out practically every week. I consumed 1,300 calories from alcohol last night! :o How do you manage it? Have you made changes?

Replies

• Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have dramatically cut alcohol out. My bf and I use to go out every weekend and sometimes more than once. Moving to a different city has made it easier but when I started this new journey to a healthier lifestyle in April I decided that I'd drink maybe once a month if anything. I don't see the point of working my butt off at the gym, eating healthy all week and then ruin it by stupid nights of drinking that can add up to over 1,000 of calories! I'm also one that after drinking, I want to eat anything and everything bad for you which adds on more calories.

Now with that said, it's fun to relax and have some cocktails with friends every once and awhile. So what I do is, if I know I'm going out later in the week, I save calories for it or when I go out, I limit myself to a few. Memorial weekend was a challenge because we went camping and usually it's just a drinking fest all weekend. I researched low calorie alcohol and choose smirnoff strawberry vodka which is 69 calories for 1 oz and paired it with club soda which is 0 calories. I was mostly drinking water but I still got a buzz and had a good time. This week to flush my system I've been drinking tons of water and eating lots of cucumbers and green veggies.

So all in all, it's about will power and control. I can still have fun but within reason.
  • purple_k
    purple_k Posts: 16
    Options
    I definitely have this problem also. I don't know what you're drinking and when...but usually a night with my friends consists of heavy drinking before we go out and then heading to a bar and if you're like me when you're a bit tipsy...getting over generous with my money buying even more drinks! I've found in the past limiting to either drinking A FEW drinks before going out and then only taking taxi money on the actual night, or vice versa and skipping the 'predrinks' and only buying drinks when out...where they're more expensive and you will be less likely to part with your money when sober=less drinks bought!!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i didn't stop drinking at first, but after hitting a 3month plateau, i stopped drinking completely. i won't drink again until i hit my goal weight. i lost 1 lb in the week i stopped drinking. moving past my plateau is way more important than drinking. it has been difficult, but i know the rewards are huge! :smile:
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Look up the calories of your favorite drinks before you go out. I found that after working so hard to be healthy it mkaes me thin twice about my consumption. Personally I like my wine and for the most part have stopped drinking while making lifestyle changes. However, with summer a wine spritzer lets me have the wine but without so many calories. Also, it really helps to order a glass of water at the same time you order your drinks.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I basically stopped drinking, like going out drinking. I'll still occasionally have a glass of wine or a cocktail with dinner, but I plan and it's within my calories.

In terms of going out drinking. I'm often DD, which is fine by me! Saves me money and calories, plus I remember everything the next day! ;) This weekend is my girlfriend's bachlorette and at some point in the night I'll just switch to water. I'm not going to tell anyone because I don't want to hear it from them but we're also going to be dancing for hours on end, so hopefully I'll burn some calories from the heavy dinner I know is coming and the drinks!!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I drink... Binge style, so I don't go out more than once or twice a week on average, but I do it up when I'm out. Drink a hard liquor with a 0 cal mixer. I do vodka water with a squeeze of lemon or lime, but run and diet works too. 60 cal/drink so I end up under 500 cal. Leangains has a post about how to overdo it and not get fat. Leangains.com it's under most popular on his site lok
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Some great methods I will have to try out! :)
  • hulljc
    hulljc Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a beer drinker so I've switched to Molson 67 calorie beer, and if I'm having a caesar (2nd favourite drink) I just skip the alcohol and you'd never know it, still tastes the exact same..... or vodka i drink it with a lemon or lime and water.....only the lemon or lime gives the taste and less calories than pop....
    If I know i'm going out drinking another option is do to a long fast paced walk, can burn over 500 calories and then you know half of your drinking calories are covered :)
    Another thing for drinking at home if you're a beer drinker is to mix Non Alcoholic beer (1/2) with the low cal beer and you don't notice the difference in taste, just the calories in non alcoholic don't just turn into fat calories..... PLUS don't feel HUNG in the morning, less alcohol, but still have fun
    :)
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options

How do you guys manage your alcohol consumption? I'm 19 and live in the UK and go out practically every week. I consumed 1,300 calories from alcohol last night! :o How do you manage it? Have you made changes?

mostly vodka / diet soda or vodka / diet juice. occasionally, i'll have a different kind of alcohol, but i avoid sugar-heavy drinks. if i drink beer, it's usually mich ultra.

also, i generally walk to the bar, so that burns a few cals.
  • damo1023
    damo1023 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Again like so many other people i've all but given up on drinking since trying to lose some weight, i could easily knock back a 1000 cals in beer on a school night without thinking about it.
    now if i go out i tend to stick to monster zero and vodka for a few drinks as plenty of pubs in the uk do it.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options

mostly vodka / diet soda or vodka / diet juice. occasionally, i'll have a different kind of alcohol, but i avoid sugar-heavy drinks. if i drink beer, it's usually mich ultra.

also, i generally walk to the bar, so that burns a few cals.

This--vodka&diet soda or low cal juice. Sometimes a rum&diet coke. Stay away from crazy mixed drinks usually.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I USED have a couple of beers a day like people have a casual joint or cigarette. BUT I GOT FAT....now once a week I do indulge. It's not helping me any but I do love the beer!
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ive got out probably 90% of my alcohol. I use to love to drink all the time but now its just not worth it. If i do drink i sip on it for as long as i can and limit myself to only 2 no matter what. It was hard at first but well worth it now!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    vodka on the rocks or vodka martini or vodka and soda water with a lime or lemon.... but i LOOOOOVVVEEEE my beer and it has been a challenge for me.. I have been cutting it down more and more and now I am down to about once every other week.
  • Amparito1
    Amparito1 Posts: 4
    Options
    All I can say is VODKA SODA! It's less than 100 calories per 8 oz drink (I usually round up to 100 though), and I have found that the hangover effects I used to get with ANY other drinks are pretty much nonexistant now!
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I'm in college and my friends LOVE to party. Sadly when I decided to make my lifestyle change I cut out drinking A LOT but it is not something I am willing to give up 100%. On occasion when I do drink I try and stick with vodka and zero calorie mixers like Crystal Light. I also know a lot of people that like to mix with Seltzer too. It really can be tough to give up going out with friends, and I hate missing out, but I always tell myself it won't be forever and when I am maintaining I can let myself go out a little more. Also giving up drinking has helped me because I find I no longer want that pizza/fries/chicken fingers at 2am LOL.
    I am subscribed to receive Jillian Michaels daily newsletters and here is one I got a little while ago regarding alcohol + weight loss just for some more info:

"Whether it's cocktails on ladies' night out, a beer at the bar, or a glass of wine with dinner, most of us enjoy a drink (or two!) every now and again. But remember what I've been teaching you: In addition to being aware of the foods that are good for you, you need to know which ones are not so great. And let's face it — alcohol is in the latter camp.

Simply, alcohol can sabotage your weight-loss efforts. It releases estrogen into your bloodstream, promotes fat storage, and decreases muscle growth. As soon as you have a drink, your body eats up all the glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver, makes you hungry, and reduces your inhibitions, so you're more likely to grab that chicken wing or stuffed potato skin at happy hour. Plus, alcoholic drinks contain many more calories than most people think — a 20-ounce serving of beer can pack 250 calories, a 6-ounce glass of wine contains 120, and a 1.5-ounce shot of liquor contains about 100. And that's without any sugary mixers.

If you're serious about losing weight, it's best to put alcohol aside until you're in maintenance mode. If you are going to have a drink, choose wine, which may protect the heart and help lower inflammation, or a drink with clear alcohol and no sugary mixers, such as a vodka and club soda or a tequila on the rocks with lime. One drink a day probably maxes out the benefits, though, so keep a cork in your alcohol consumption."

So that's what Jillian had to say about it.
    Good Luck :)
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I have pretty much given up drinking but then i'm not young and hitting the club much anymore but here is what i drink. Voli Vodka (if available) it's a light vodka that packs a punch. Squeeze in fresh lemon, add Sprite Zero and maybe a splash of pineapple juice and your good to go. Or Whipped Vodka with Diet Root Beer..yummy :drinker:
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking almost completely... Only once every so often on occasion, but hardly ever. Its just a sacrafice that you have to be willing to make, and if not you probably have to be working out EXTRA hard.
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is also an issue for me...not only the drinking but what I eat during and after a night of drinking.

Tonight I am planning on not drinking...this will be the first Friday in years that I have not had a few cocktails. It is going to be difficult...I hope I can do it :laugh:
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I dont drink as often which has made my tolerance very low. Now after 1 or 2 drinks im good for a few hours :) Also, switch your drink choices. Tequila on ice with lime twist is my fave, and it is recommended by Jillian Michaels.