is it true that...

Options
your stomach shrinks?!
I am trying to eat 1200 calories a day but its so hard because I get super hungry between lunch & dinner,
my friend told me to stick with it because my stomach will shrink after a couple of weeks so I wont be as hungry, is that true?
I really need some reassurance that things will get easier because when im hungry I just feel like giving up!

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Your appetite may adjust to the low calorie intake....I don't know but if you're hungry you probably need to increase your calories a little. Atleast increase your PROTEIN and FATS.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    People have said this but I don't know if its true. For about eight months I did really good and ate small portions daily, yet I binged for a week eating a ton of food like a whole box of pasta in one sitting and I realized my stomach was probably still the same size it was eight months ago.. as it didnt affect me at all except for feeling bad and the weight gain.
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 (which is right for my current weight and goal weight), make sure your eating something every 3-4 hours, drink lots of water which helps you feel fuller and pick foods that are more filling.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i dont' know if it's true. but for me, i have noticed a HUGE change in the amount i can eat since i lost my weight. i used to eat large amounts of food and now i can't. it seems true for me. even to this day, i will make my plate at dinner, eat half, and say, "why did i get this much?" i'll be totally full at half-way and can't eat another bite. and the amount i serve myself isn't even as much as i used to eat! LOL this is a good question.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Whether it's stomach shrinking or something else - If I don't eat for a day or so, when I do start back up I have to force food in. I get full so quickly.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    That's a really interesting question. I don't know for sure if it physically shrinks (gonna have to look into that) but I can tell you that your appetite and hunger definitely decrease with time. Even more so if you are eating whole foods that promote satiety - veggies, lean meat, eggs, nuts etc.

Edit: this study suggests that there is a decrease in physical stomach capacity after reduced calorie intake.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561056?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It does physically EXPAND when you eat a lot of food, but it can only shrink down to its original size, no further.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if it physically shrinks, but after losing 35+ pounds I can't eat as much as I could then. Like, for example, last night I decided to treat myself to my 3 favorite things, hot wings, beer and french fries. At 190ish, I could down a ton of food. At 153 I could only eat 4 wings and half of my fries and one beer. I was STUFFED.

My appetite is still there, I still get HUNGRY, but smaller amounts of food satisfy me.