Snap, Crackle, Pop Knees

Options
2»

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    my knees have always been like that. i don't think it's a big issue unless there's pain. make sure you're getting the right kind of support from your shoes when walking long distances. that helped my knee issues considerably.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Mine sound like Barbie doll knees, has since I was 19-20.

Haaa I know what you mean!

There is no pain in my knees, and the noises have been happening for years now.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and have this exact problem. It started after I did P90X last year. I take glucosamine/chondroitin to help rebuild the cartilage that may have worn down... Hasn't helped much though. It doesn't hurt, but it can't be good.

Oh! I forgot to say this. I've also been taking glucosamine chondroitin complex and it hasn't made a difference in knees cracking, but it HAS made a big difference in knee pain when I run. It's almost nonexistent now.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It's called getting old. Welcome to the club. :drinker:

I have been the cracking queen since I was 10. :) A knees are a little better now, only a couple times a day. My wrists on the other hand? Crack central. And my shoulder, needs to be cracked several times a day.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mine do that too. I had to cut my career as a cat burglar short because of it :-). My go off going up stairs.

Make sure your squat form is good. Keep your weight on the outsides of your feet and our heals. Don't let your knees go too far forward and don't do too much weight so you stay safe.
  • mamato3babies
    mamato3babies Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My family laugh because I have always cracked / popped for as long as I can remember! My neck, shoulders, elbows, ankles, knees, back, etc... It does hurt back sometimes, but I've gotten hurt so many times that it doesn't surprise me that I pop... my knees have ground CONSTANTLY since I was about 15.
  • mamato3babies
    mamato3babies Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my hips! They are horrible...plus I can pop them in and out.... Always have been able to...so I have to be careful with Zumba... I can cause alot of pain by popping it while leaning on it.... Ouch!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    My knees pop all the time. Luckily they don't hurt unless the weather changes. Hopefully by working out more that will change. :)
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Try cod liver oil.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I just spit my drink out!:laugh:
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It's called getting old. Welcome to the club. :drinker:

Mine have done it since I was 16... I'm only 23... I don't think it's from being older, I think it's from being heavy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember there have always been issues with my knees. When I was a kid I would often get a burning pain in my knees while laying in bed at night that nobody could explain away and it made me unable to sleep. When I started working out with weights I started doing the snap-crackle-pop thing too.
  • louised88
    louised88 Posts: 159
    Options
    My feet do this :/ There is a clicking noise that comes from the top of my feet (not my ankle) when I walk barefoot. (And maybe when I have shoes on, and I just can't hear it.) It doesn't hurt though and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only clicker! Was kind of worried there's something wrong, as my little toes are twisted the wrong way, but hopefully it's fine.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my knees used to do that before i realized i was doing squats wrong -- is your form ok? most of the stress shouldn't be on your knees to begin with (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/). since i started doing squats correctly, my knees don't make any noise and it's easier to do more high impact activities without any issues.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I have Rice Krispie knees too...glad I came across this thread. I get the crackling every time I sit down or stand up, but there's no pain associated, so from what the rest of you have said it's probably ok. I'm certain it's due to the fact that I carried 100+ extra lbs around for a lot of years. I've been running for just about 2 years & am very diligent about including strength training & making sure my form for both lifting & running is correct to prevent injury. Might have to look into the glucosamine though...apart from that I guess I'll have to accept that the crackling is way better than the extra weight I was carrying around!