Ramblings of a "foodie". Beyond expections.

Options
I just wanted to share. In late May I decided to stop even trying to lose weight, I was at 142. I had gone from 174 to 142. Goal accomplished. Now I am at 130 and am in a size 4....I started in January in a 12.

It's been awhile since I have posted here or even written any of my friends on this forum. It's important to get out information to those whom are struggling with their weight. I am not sure what combination has been working for me, but I wanted to give people some ideas that might help them.

I have struggled, like most of us on this forum for years with my weight. February 2, 2009 I got serious again. These are the changes that I made that seem to make an extreme difference in my health and weight loss:

1. Clean eating. Nothing processed. I eat popcorn, dark chocolate (LIndt chili), red lentil soup, etc. But nothing processed. I make my own crackers and bread with whey flour protein, soy and flax seed. I eat an occasional dark chocolate croissant with a double espresso at the farmers market. I don't deprive myself.

2. I use the stationary bike (front leaning) for 30 minutes a day 4 days a week, I walk or run uphill for 15 minutes-I mean uphill-setting 15 on the tread mill 4-5 days a week. I use weights for 30 minutes a day (free weights).

3. Cook with organic olive oil or coconut oil-kills my appetite.

4. I eat a lot.

5. I have gotten rid of most diet drinks. I mostly drink coffee, tea and water. I use very little artificial sweetener and try to stay with stevia and not NutraSweet.

I eat so much that my friends think I have a tap worm.

It's unclear what changes in my life style has created this transformation. I have always worked out like crazy, but it was mostly cardio. My cardio has been reduced to 45 minutes, 30 bike/15 treadmill. I am more concentrated on free weight lifting.

Maybe something here will be of use to someone.

Best of luck and blessings...
Marie

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC job!
    I assume when u say that you eat alot, it's mostly green/veggies, lean protein etc
    Can u give us a better idea of what a day looks like...

Kim
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sure Kim:

Average day

a cup or two of berries with sour cream and stevia
    a whey protein shake (EAS with almond milk) if I can remember

I am addicted to the Kitchens of India stuff-all natural...I normally eat this almost every day.....I am waiting to get sick of it.
    2 cups of diced chicken breasts simmered in Kitchens of Indian Butter Curry Sauce
    2 tablespoons of sour cream
    2 cups of grated cauliflower stirred fried (rice sub) in coconut oil

2 or three cups of spinach salad with blue cheese dressing, 1 large tomato and 3 stocks of celery.
    a 10 oz rib-eye or 2 pork chops in rosemary or some lean meat
    10 stocks of asparagus.

Some of my treats (but it's mostly the coffee...cause I have not desire for extra food)
    3 cups of popcorn in olive oil with butter (unsalted)
    berries in cream
    iced coffee with davinci sugar free syrup and heavy whipping cream

On the weekend..when I have time:
    Red lential soup (a friend of mine from Turkey taught me to make)
    Nearly 1/2 a loaf of procressed free bread that I make
    Flax crackers and hummus
    stir-fried bag of coleslaw with a onion and three types of bell pepper in olive oil

This is stuff that I love...and it's only a sample.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Wow all that food you make sounds amazing. I wish I had the time and/or money to do all that. Sadly I'm still in school and go to work as well so I never seem to have time to cook like that. I normally do quick and easy stuff like those all natural banquet complete family meals (you know the ones that come in a box and most of the stuff is canned) I know it doesn't sound great but it seems to have less sodium than the stuff in the freezer or that is already made at the deli or something.

Shredded Cauliflower instead of noodles or rice??? I've never heard of that. Interesting

Thanks for the food ideas...I love to cook so when I get the time I'll be sure to try that stuff out.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    It's really not expensive. It's extremely time consuming and the most expensive thing I buy is Wheat Gluten Flour, but whole foods has it the cheapest. The other expense is that darn coconut oil.

Supermarket lists look like this:

Coconut oil $8
    Flax seed meal $4
    Olive Olive (every two weeks) $7-10
    Whey powder EAS, Sam's club $30 for a 5 pound bag every 6 months
    Almond milk-sugar free $3 a carton...I go through one a week
    Wheat Flour Gluten $9
    Soy is cheap
    Rib-eye at Sam's club is now $6 a pound
    Chicken breast and other meat is very cheap there

I spend about $6 a week on cauliflower.....and $6 a week on the Kitchens of India stuff.....

Kim is right. I eat MOSTLY veggies and lean meat. I get to put sour cream on whatever I want and I use heavy whipping cream. I deprive myself of nothing that I love.

It might be also my focus shifting from a hour of cardio an 20 minutes of weights to 45 minutes of weights and 45 minutes of cardio (two different machines).

There's certainly some science in this that has made me drop the weight. I really don't know what it is, but I still keep on having a chocolate croissant and a bar of that LOVELY Lindt's Chocolate Chili. a week. Oh...with 4 oz of whole milk.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    How do you make that cauliflower?
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Glad you asked!

Grate cauliflower like you would cheese. I use a hand grater and it's messy. Bits of the stuff fly everywhere. I have yet to get a food processor that I haven't taken back to Target..still looking.

If you have a food processor, do the grating bit. I use half a head.

On medium high melt the coconut oil and dump the cauliflower in. It takes a while to saute it, but I use like a tablespoon of coconut oil.

Put salt and pepper on it.

Coconut oil really kills my appetite.

Did I make sense?

Marie
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info
    It does sound like LOTS of food :)

Great job
    Kim
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!