Garmin Forerunner 405CX, 410, or 610

Options
There's always a lot of talk on here about the different HRM watches. I did check out several forum posts, but I need advice from someone who has used a lot of Garmin Forerunner watches.

I'm a newbie runner who would like to work on her pace, increasing her run lengths, while also monitoring my calories for weight loss. Out of the Garmin Forerunner 405CX, 410, or 610, which would be best? Obviously some are more expensive than others, so can you give me your reasoning? There are a lot of features listed on the Garmin website that I'm not familiar with, since I'm new, so please explain.

It would also be great if the HRM could be used for other activities other than running.

Thanks a million!

Shannon

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I had a 405cx, and returned it. I now use a Suunto T3d and the Runkeeper app on my iPhone. The garmin will only track your HR and GPS track. The phone app allows you to still track and log your runs with the GPS in your phone, but also lets you set up intervals, training runs, AND combines with your iTunes playlists.....

I'd never get a Garmin again. not worth the $$$$..
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ this. Very thorough reviews.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The Forerunner reviews on here are excellent. Anyone else have an opinion? I like my Garmin GPS for in the car, so I thought one of these would be a good choice, but now I'm not so sure... especially given how salty the price tag is!

Shannon
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've been an early adopter of all the Garmins.

201, 205, 405 and now a 610.

My $.02 - I would toss out the 405CX. I'd say go with 410 or 610 based on what features you need/use.

REI was just selling the 610 w/ HRM for $299 last weekend. Not sure if it still on sale or not.
  • Craighbruce
    Options
    I had a 405Cx for 3yrs but found the battery life was pretty poor - just got a 610 which seems better so far. If you dont care about size/style as much the 310XT has the same core functions as the 405 or 610 but has much longer battery life and is well respected amongst running forums.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I have the 405cx and agree with others. It has been a pain in my tush. I never know if it is suddenly going to quit. I have made them replace it once already.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    FWIW I love my Forerunner 305. Wish it was waterproof, but I'll address that at upgrade time. 910XT :drool:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at functionality / value the 305s are hard to beat. The 610 is a little slicker and, if you're a triathlete the 910 is unbeatable.

Check out dcrainmaker's reviews.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Although I would love the 610, it's still too expensive!!!

Just bought the 410 for $204 on Ebay. Would have been a bit cheaper, but I had to pay sales tax, which I didn't realize until checkout. It's brand new, being sold by some sort of sporting goods store.

I'm going to wait until I receive it before being the heart strap, just in case I have any hassles.

Everyone's help was greatly appreciated!

Shannon
  • dhawk312
    dhawk312 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm about to purchase a GPS watch too. The 410 and 610 are 2 of my top contenders. How do you like the 410 so far? Any gripes? Happy with the purchase?
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've got a 110 - this is good for my needs. Re the phone apps - they're fine but will never be as accurate as a bespoke gps device. (Today my garmin said I ran 11miles. My phone said 12....)
  • rouin09
    Options
    I have used the 410 for a year now. I received a Garmin footpod for Christmas, which I use along with the HRM. The combo of the 2 has greatly increased my running efficiency. I never run without them, they are that good at tracking my results. I have used phone apps with different phones. While this is good it seems to be more prone to error with gps accuracy and counting calories and distance etc. I use the phone when I don't have access to my 410.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I currently have the 405cx. It is t my favourite Garmin, I've had the 305 and 301 in the past. Both were far more user friendly.
    I believe the 405cx does not use heart rate based calorie computation, the other two models you listed do. I'm not sure if you can use the HRM for other activities or not though.

I don't see the difference between the 410 and the 610 though.

I am a huge fan of Garmin. I've had no issues with any of the 3 I've owned and customer service is great.