Diet vs lifestyle change

Options
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. In the last two years, I've changed my lifestyle, but I see many on here still doing (what I consider) the "diet" thing. Here's some of the stuff I consider part of a change in lifestyle. Add your own ideas of lifestyle change vs diet, I'm curious to hear them.

- I no longer think of restaurants as a primary destination. I now find myself looking for things to do with the wife that are fun and active, and if there is food involved? Great, one less stop to make on our way to the fun stuff. Before it was more of a question of whether I would go or not because a place did or didn't have food. Or fitting the rest of the day/night into our restaurant plans.

- I no longer grumble at the thought of going food shopping. I actually enjoy much of it. Not only do I get all kinds of cool ideas from the food, but I also enjoy "people watching" and seeing some of the horrible choices people make. Is this privately a "food snobbish" thing to do? Probably, but I feel I've earned the right, and I don't actually comment to anyone, I just think the thoughts in my head.

- I no longer agonize over food choices when thinking about dinner. Food is now a necessary fuel I need, It's on par with getting gas for my car now. I eat it because I need it, I don't associate it with comfort any more (well, with the possible exception of coffee, still my main vice!)

-I look at the scale sparingly, more out of curiosity than need. I stepped on the scale last night for the first time in 3 weeks because I was getting out of the shower and happened to spot it. Same weight I was 3 weeks ago by the way. :)

Replies

• Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thought I would add to these.

- I no longer fear food. I find myself experimenting with foods/recipes and often creating my own. My relationship with food has definately changed. Looking at and understanding food lables no longer intimidates me and I fully comprehend starving yourself gets you no where.

- I no longer hide from exercise. I love my morning exercise the most cause I feel energized for the rest of the day. I used to hate exercising with others around cause I felt like they were judging because of how I looked... not so much anymore.

I am sure there are more... but its just not coming to me right now. I'll add later as I think of more.'

As far as the "food snobbish" thing at the grocery store... I find myself doing that too sometimes.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you all said..............

With that spirit in mind, my hubby hasn't quite caught on, so I always let him choose the restaurant, but the way I eat now, I automatically know what I can and can't eat, so dining out is no issue whatsoever.

I love to go grocery shopping - I hit the farmers markets and purchase meat and eggs from local farmers, so I know I am getting good stuffl. I barely buy any processed foods. Minimally processed whole grain breads for my hubby (which sometimes I purchase from my coop). When I do go shopping at a main grocery I shop the outer perimeter of the store....... That is where the good stuff is at.
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I don't look at having a "sweet treat" or something similiar as "being bad." Why feel guilty because I want some ice cream on a hot, summer day, right?

I also enjoy being more active. I have found that I feel and look better because of it!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I love what you have to say. I agree, making this a lifestyle change is such an important piece. I am finally at a place where I can say I look forward to exercise each day, because I know it is good for my body and I will feel great afterwards. I look forward to cooking dinner, because I know I will choose good, healthy ingredients to fuel my body for that exercise. I am finding myself more successful this time than all of the other times where I tried to "diet". I am feeling so much more confidence in myself and that shows to everyone else.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It definately needs to be a lifestyle change and for me it is. However, I think most people start out just wanting to lose the pounds and gradually learn to care about a healthy lifestyle. This reminds me of the thread, "stop with the preaching." She made a valid point that not everyone wants a lecture about their food choices (some are well meaning and others are judgemental.) Everyone is on their own journey and most of us have a vice that we aren't willing to give up. I think it is good to inform people but we need to be careful with how we approach it. I personally don't worry about what others are putting in their baskets. Why be snobby? You were in their shoes once - Right?
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    It definately needs to be a lifestyle change and for me it is. However, I think most people start out just wanting to lose the pounds and gradually learn to care about a healthy lifestyle. This reminds me of the thread, "stop with the preaching." She made a valid point that not everyone wants a lecture about their food choices (some are well meaning and others are judgemental.) Everyone is on their own journey and most of us have a vice that we aren't willing to give up. I think it is good to inform people but we need to be careful with how we approach it. I personally don't worry about what others are putting in their baskets. Why be snobby? You were in their shoes once - Right?

Wow, WELL SAID!!!!!! I've had the same thought so many times!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    bumping to read, gotta get ready for work :)
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    - Exercise is now part of my natural daily routine. It's like brushing my teeth, and I wouldn't even begin to think about going without that!

- I don't feel guilty when I don't exercise a day. Besides, the body needs days to rest and regenerate itself.

- I'm cautious about my food choices when I eat at a restaurant. I used to open the menu's directly up to the pasta's and BAM! Fettuccine Alfredo! Now I consider chickens, whole foods and vegetables as my focus when I open a menu! :happy:

- lastly, this is a lifestyle change because I have learned to accept. When I say accept I'm being vague on purpose. It can mean accept myself, accept and respect others on their journey; perhaps I'm referring to the acceptance of my types of exercises and of my food choices. Whatever I vaguely mean by accept, I think acceptance is an extremely good indication of a lifestyle change! :flowerforyou:

-Sami-Rose-
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

while I understand this point of view, I go back and read over this post and confirm that this is only my opinion on my own lifestyle, not an indictment on others. I see that I made observations, and shared some truths about my own shortcomings, but I don't think, in any way, I called anyone out. If this post offends people, I imagine it's probably because of their own feelings projected on it, not anything I'm presenting as I didn't call any particular person out, I just stated my opinion on my situation.

As to being a snobby about food. I'm kind of proud of that. Why? specifically because I was was there. And I worked hard, and earned the right to (in my own mind, never overtly, and never voiced publicly) look at the food in someone's basket and think, "well, that's probably not a good thing." I'm not ashamed of that. I would hazard a guess that almost everyone on here does that with some aspect of their life with something they are good at, it's human nature. It's not cruel or bad, what's cruel or bad would be making those thoughts public and embarrassing someone for their choices.
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options

while I understand this point of view, I go back and read over this post and confirm that this is only my opinion on my own lifestyle, not an indictment on others. I see that I made observations, and shared some truths about my own shortcomings, but I don't think, in any way, I called anyone out. If this post offends people, I imagine it's probably because of their own feelings projected on it, not anything I'm presenting as I didn't call any particular person out, I just stated my opinion on my situation.

As to being a snobby about food. I'm kind of proud of that. Why? specifically because I was was there. And I worked hard, and earned the right to (in my own mind, never overtly, and never voiced publicly) look at the food in someone's basket and think, "well, that's probably not a good thing." I'm not ashamed of that. I would hazard a guess that almost everyone on here does that with some aspect of their life with something they are good at, it's human nature. It's not cruel or bad, what's cruel or bad would be making those thoughts public and embarrassing someone for their choices.

When I was in high school, I worked all thought out high-school at a grocery store...(ick)...and I'm guilty of judging peoples carts. And I certainly didn't know half of what I know now!! You should be proud that your making better food choices. Why not? You have well earned it, and congratulations to you on that! I don't see anything wrong with what you do. From what I interpret off this, you don't do anything disrespectful to them personally. Why does this have to be so taboo? People look down on smoking as a awful health concern, why can't we look down on eating unhealthy and un-whole foods as a health concern?
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    dieting is just such an oxymoron, you lose weight to only gain it back! not dissing dieters, i am one of them

however, this site has really opened my eyes.

i found it through googling 'calorie counters' just because i knew i had to do something, i was gaining weight and fast!!! i know i can hit 120, and i know that i don't have as much to lose as some others, and i admire your journeys because i whine throughout mine and have to remind myself that you guys have come so far!!! i was climbing fast, i gained like 15 lbs in one year, and 10 in the next....and as soon as that scale hit 150, i thought 'damn, 160 is next' and i couldn't handle that. i guess i knew i had an issue, mine however is with eating bad food and too much of it all the time and everywhere. which is where dieting would obviously come in, because that was just to lose weight...and not be healthy, how dare someone tell me to sacrifice chicken wings, pizza, burger king, cookies, and all the other junky stuff that i would consume in one day alone!

and then i found this site, and had trouble with staying on my maintenance cals. sometimes i still do, but its the effort i think that counts. we will all get to our goals with enough perserverence.

i don't want to preach lifestyle change over diet, but for me, it really is a lifestyle change. you can look through my embarrassing food diary, some days its still bad, but it progressively got better, especially with exercise!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy reading your posts. I to am a food snob in my head. Sometimes I wish there was a way to say "hey, I can help you out with some healthier options." I do try it with friend and family. I am not being judgmental. I'm sharing information so that they to will be able to make healthier choices. Sometimes they think they are doing something good when really they're not. My sis was using alot of frozen meals. I told her to watch the sodium and she was so surprised. She thought because it says Healthy Choice it was.

For me the lifestyle is knowing that I am going to continue to exercise for my whole life. Not until I get to a goal weight. Not only on the days I have the motivation to do it. Like someone else said. It's one of the things you do, like brushing your teeth.

Cooking has always been a joy for me. I love it! But lately we've found that the food we get out is not always as good as we can have at home. Using fresh vegetables, herbs we really are eating better and with alot of flavor. I'd rather have a smaller portion of something made with whole ingredients than something highly processed. You really can taste a difference in a cake from scratch versus a box.

I want people to know that cooking and baking is not hard. It does sometimes take alittle more time. But the end result not only tastes better but it is better for you.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I to am a food snob in my head.

thats what they get for being food pushers!
  • sarabear
    Options
    Even though I have not reached goal yet, I too am a shopping cart snob. It kinda helps me, I think, if I saw this in a cart of a woman my size what would I think. Gets me thinking what would someone think if I threw in a bucket of ice cream, donuts, cakes etc.......Like I said it helps me make good choices. I know I shouldn't care what others think but in the case I LIKE IT!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm a lunch snob. I work in an office of 15 women, all are overweight, some by a lot. I look at the choices they make for lunch while I am eating my cottage cheese and tomatoes and think... if you would just..... Small changes could make such a difference. I don't voice my opinion, each of us has to find our way to this journey on our own, just hope that maybe by leading by example some may notice the difference and make changes for themselves.
  • sarabear
    Options
    I'm a lunch snob. I work in an office of 15 women, all are overweight, some by a lot. I look at the choices they make for lunch while I am eating my cottage cheese and tomatoes and think... if you would just..... Small changes could make such a difference. I don't voice my opinion, each of us has to find our way to this journey on our own, just hope that maybe by leading by example some may notice the difference and make changes for themselves.
    One way I voice at the store is if my kids are asking for sugar cereal for breakfast, I just ask them is that a good choice? Hope some of the other parents hear that as they buy the fruit loops, captain crunch, fruity pebbles etc..........
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I'm a food snob too. I don't try to force my opinions on others, but I do stand my ground. I'm surrounded by people (family and friends) who judge my choices and constantly tease me. When I'm invited to a family gathering I am often not asked to bring a dish since it will be "healthy". My mom insists that organic fruit and veggies taste funny, :laugh:

I walk away when the teasing starts, but I rub it in (just with my family) when everybody is sitting around and unconsiously whining about all thier ailments. I haven't been sick in years!:wink:

I used to work in an office with 5 other women. Food was the focus of EVERYTHING and 3 of those women were morbidly obese. Every diet they went on lasted 2 days and ended with a big lunch to celebrate anything that would fit in for that day. I think it was just an excuse to binge without looking like the diet wasn't working, since the celebration might be something as silly as a new postal machine, lol. They would order a fried chicken salad with lo-cal dressing and a diet soda, then justify it by saying its healthy and list off insane reasoning for it.:grumble: I could only sit there and smile. Nothing I could say would change thier mind, I could only make good choices for myself.

Anyway, while I use the term "food snob", I consider it a good thing. I'm not rying to hurt anyone or force anyone to live my life style. I think that standing my ground can show others the way, then its up to them if they take it. Not to say that I'm a model of healthiness, but I'm always improving.:heart:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I look at people's carts and try to imagine their family's lives...

Are they squeezing pennies? Do they think this item or that item are all they can afford?

Do they spend a lot of time socializing with each together at meals? Do they do a lot of entertaining? Snacking? Serving appetizers?

Do they buy meat/veggies wholesale or direct? Particularly, if I see none in their selections. Where do they get them? What kind do they get?

Do they have lots of children? Single? A couple? Pets? Too busy to cook? Cook from scratch?

THen I look at my own cart and try to imagine what they would surmise about me and MY life by my choices...:embarassed:

Also, it now takes me several hours to shop and I go to a minimum of 3 different stores, sometimes 4.
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    I think in terms of health now, I am not sweating over my calories (because I am very active with martial arts and weight training regularly) I now watch sodium and cholesterol intakes. No processed foods, I like clean foods, makes me feel good. It started in culinary school, seeing all that can be done with fresh ingredients.
    I am healthy and want to remain healthy, and I too, see behaviors in others that I was doing myself at one time and I think to myself, 'do they know what's in the food their eating?' ((snobby?? maybe)) I like to believe simply, that I became "aware".
  • presariofaded
    Options
    i stopped making goals like, "I'm going to eat healthy for a week and see how that goes"
    now my mind set is always (well.. mostly :laugh: ) "Am I really hungry? Is there a healthier choice? etc"
    but i also allow myself a treat every once in a while without feeling like I ruined my day.

exercise has become part of my daily life. i've gotten over thinking, "ehh, i dont really feel like doing anything today, yeah it's nice out, but there's other days." then i'll think the same thing the next couple days. (not productive)
    and i've started thinking, "time to work out"
    no excuses, no procrastinating, just doing it.

and for being a food snob; i occasionally think like that, but I also think good thoughts towards people who make good choices lol :flowerforyou: