What will increasing calories do?

Options
What will increasing my calories do? Would it really boost my fat loss and metabolism?

Is it upping net cals or total calories?

Please explain to me how this works and if it will help me!

I'm 5'0" 116lbs.
Goal: Lose Belly Fat and weigh 110 with lean muscle.
Goal Calories ATM: 1,200 net
Exercise: 25-40 mins a day 5 days a week

Maybe a stricter diet is in order. What foods should I avoid? I eat a LOT of fruit.

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    What will increasing my calories do? Would it really boost my fat loss and metabolism?

No.

But for some, increasing calories may result in a spontaneous upregulation of NEAT which surpasses the caloric increase.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Increasing your calories will increase the energy available to your body. If you are already getting enough energy, it will make you put on weight. If you are not already getting enough energy, it will help you become more energetic and burn off more calories in a healthier and more comfortable manner than severely restricting your calories.

A stricter diet is always a good idea. If you aren't already, track your fats, carbohydrates, and protein. If your goal is lean muscle, fats and proteins are your friends, along with some strength or resistance training and a reasonable amount of cardio. Don't eat them in excess, but don't short-change yourself either.

And as far as fruit, the sugars in it at least come with nutrients. But they are still sugars. I still eat a good deal of it, but part of my journey included eating a little less of it and adding some more protein sources to replace it.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    Increasing my calories has helped me start losing again. I upped my calories to 1800/day and I try to net at least 1550 which is my BMR. I was told to calculate my TDEE and subtract 15%. That came to 2000/day, but I didn't want to jump that high. I have more energy and the weight has started to come off again. It's worth a try. Oh and I don't worry about eating back my exercise calories, cuz that is already factored in to my TDEE. And if you aren't already, I would suggest tracking your sodium too:) You are very close to your goal! That's awesome!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by "eat a lot of fruit?"

There is no advantage to eating more fruit than one or two servings a day. Sugar is sugar. The idea that if sugar is from fruit then it is ok go hog wild

I am no expert, but when I cut down on fruit, I made better progress.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by "eat a lot of fruit?"

There is no advantage to eating more fruit than one or two servings a day. Sugar is sugar. The idea that if sugar is from fruit then it is ok go hog wild

I am no expert, but when I cut down on fruit, I made better progress.

I eat 2-3 servings a day. I may cut it back and only do 1-2. I notice once I cut apples out I was making better progress, but they are a great afternoon snack to keep me full until dinner!