Let the war on protein supplements begin

Options
I just read this story: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beyond-meat-americans-preoccupied-protein-154123293.html regarding our obsession with protein consumption. Note, the third to last paragraph indicates that the person being interviewed is opposed to protein supplementation, specifically the use of bars and powders. Ironically, two days ago I visited a dietician who said something similar. She condemned both my use of whey protein powder and my consumption of almond milk and coconut milk. She said regular dairy milk could provide the same nutrition. What does everyone else think? FDA conspiracy? (NOTE: The FDA recently banned one of the active ingredients in many popular pre-workout supplements, DMAA (or 1,3-dimethylamylamine).

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just read this story: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beyond-meat-americans-preoccupied-protein-154123293.html regarding our obsession with protein consumption. Note, the third to last paragraph indicates that the person being interviewed is opposed to protein supplementation, specifically the use of bars and powders. Ironically, two days ago I visited a dietician who said something similar. She condemned both my use of whey protein powder and my consumption of almond milk and coconut milk. She said regular dairy milk could provide the same nutrition. What does everyone else think? FDA conspiracy? (NOTE: The FDA recently banned one of the active ingredients in many popular pre-workout supplements, DMAA (or 1,3-dimethylamylamine).

Simple if you can get your protein requirements from food then go for it. If you cannot then use a supplement.
    For me I eat almost 300g protein a day. Its way cheaper for me to supplement shakes while eating my regular meals to hit that mark. If it were not for protein shake,bars,drinks puddings etc.. I would not be able to hit my macro with out spending a ton of cash on food and then trying to make time to eat basically all the time though out my busy day.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Not sure if I completely agree with your dietician. Dairy milk has the most protein (8 g for 1%), followed by soy (6 g), then coconut (5 g), and lastly almond (1 g). So it's not the same (or necessarily worse/better) nutrition. If you add protein powder to any other milk, you're going to get more protein than dairy milk alone. As to whether you should just stick to dairy milk, it depends. If you're not sensitive to lactose, I don't see much health benefit of the other ones over dairy milk (other than almond milk having healthier fats and lower cals & carbs, if you are concerned with that). Now if you just prefer other milk, then it's fine to drink other milk (but you may want to make sure your calcium levels).

As to protein powder: I guess you should look at your own diet and compare to your goals and go from there. Do you get enough protein from non-powder sources? Many people do. If so, then there is no need for you to use a protein supplement. Keep in mind that your dietician may have been going by RDA guidelines, which many believe are too low (you can use google to read more about this topic). But most meat-and-dairy-eaters have little trouble getting enough protein in their diets. Protein powder and alternative milks are no magic elixirs that will help you get fit automatically--maybe this was what s/he was trying to get at?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    protein is protein... its such a miniscule thing to worry about just make sure you eat enough of it just like any other macronutrient.. fats and carbs are just as important as protein..

do they make protein supplements? Yes, because its time effective and cost effective because people cant prepare chicken and steaks every meal to meet their protein goals. if you can, then you dont need a protein supplement.

do they make carbohydrate supplements? Yes, because some people have trouble getting enough calories in their diet, or just dont like to eat so they would rather consume dextrose in their shakes or some other weight gainer.

do they make fat supplements? Yes, they make fish oil supps as well as flax seed and other healthy fats in order to have optimal healthy fats in their diet that they may not be getting thru whole foods... dietary fats in terms of grams can easily be achieved thru diet unless you are a vegetarian or vegan then you might have to think a little on making sure you get enough fat grams per day.
  • MurphTurph5
    MurphTurph5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't lift very often or too much. Should I still take a protein supplement to get more healthy, lean muscle? And also, which is the best supplement I should consider taking? Thaaanks =)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't lift very often or too much. Should I still take a protein supplement to get more healthy, lean muscle? And also, which is the best supplement I should consider taking? Thaaanks =)

if your daily protein intake from whole foods is on the low side then yes, but if you dont workout then you dont need quite as much protein....

as far as the supplement you should take just find the cheapest ones with the least additives... Optinum Nutrition, Dymatize, and Body Fortress are all good brands.
  • MurphTurph5
    MurphTurph5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it :)
  • Jbirch76
    Jbirch76 Posts: 34
    Options
    Why would she condemned you choice to drink almond milk? Way more calcium and other beneficial nutrients and way less to no sugar compared to dairy milk. Sure it may have less protien, but that's what protein supplements are for.... ;)