Strength training expertise please help

Hi all......

As per MFP :
Strength training (weight lifting, weight training( for 40 mins burns 148 calories.

But what about ( How many Kgs I am lifting ???? )

When I started strength training I started with 4 kg dumbbells and now I use 12 kg ( and still 40 min =148 cals ), and for another machines I started with 7-9 kg, and now I use 50 kg ( and still 40 min = 148 cals ).

Any explanation ?
Any suggestion ?

Thank you in advance

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    It's an estimate.

It's a crapshoot at best.

Someone doing dumbbell curls for 10 minutes burns waaaaaaaaaaay less calories than someone doing a compound movement - like a barbell squat or deadlift for the same reps.

Let's not even start talking about olympic lifts that can really get your heart moving.

Yet all are 'strength training.'
  • jenn6566
    jenn6566 Posts: 9
    I do'nt think any of their exercises are that accurate in the calorie burning area....I would go online and google it somewhere else then add it into your own diary. good luck and just keep lifting!
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    I always rely on my HRM to tell me how many calories I'm burning because it really does vary based on how heavy you lift.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    I always rely on my HRM to tell me how many calories I'm burning because it really does vary based on how heavy you lift.

I agree and even HRM's are not 100% accurate but they are more accurate than MFP number for sure and they are worth it to invest in a good one and not an off brand.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    FYI - Also note there are many trainers and information published that states you really should not count calories burned from strenght training. I count it all. :wink:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

I dunno, if I pull a deadlift off the ground, my heart rate shoots way up to like 170. Then it SLOWLY goes back down to 90.
    The HRM thinks I'm doing intense cardio this entire time - while I'm standing perfectly still.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    yep.... HRM... maybe polar?? :wink:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    FYI - Also note there are many trainers and information published that states you really should not count calories burned from strenght training. I count it all. :wink:

I count it all too, and I combine my body weight exercises with strength training...any website you go to will be different. HRM are all different, scales are all different...how about you just bust your *kitten*? That's all you can really do. I log under strength training, but I know that when I lift heavy, I'm burning more than 140 calories but what can ya do?
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    It's an estimate.

It's a crapshoot at best.

Someone doing dumbbell curls for 10 minutes burns waaaaaaaaaaay less calories than someone doing a compound movement - like a barbell squat or deadlift for the same reps.

Let's not even start talking about olympic lifts that can really get your heart moving.

Yet all are 'strength training.'

Thank you for your reply ........logically yes you are right
  • Orient_Charm
    I do'nt think any of their exercises are that accurate in the calorie burning area....I would go online and google it somewhere else then add it into your own diary. good luck and just keep lifting!

Thank you for your replay
    me too
  • Orient_Charm

Since you are the first one speak about HRM here, so this is the best answer for me, thank you very much, yes really I should get HRM and depend it for my burnd cals, thanks a lot.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    HRM's are better for cardio than strength training at guaging calories burned. Just go with a conservative guestimate.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    With strength training Heart Rate is not as important as the amount your are lifting in relation to you 1 rep maximum. 148 calories is only an estimate. If a body builder were to lift a kettle ball weighing 50 lbs he wouldn't burn near as many calories as a person who is just a regular gym goer.

If you want to build muscle you also need to rest about 120 seconds between sets for optimum benefit. Maximum hypertrophy can occur at this rest interval. Anything less than 90 seconds can be counter productive. Not saying you won't make gains at a shorter rest interval but they are no where near the progress you could make. There have been several scientific studies proving this. I am too lazy to look for the links but if you google them they should show up.

Many athletes train with a HRM just to make sure their heart rate comes down enough between sets.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Yeah. It's just wrong. But its only meant to be a guess. It throws the same 300 Cal number at me on squat and deadlift days that it says I do on easy arm days.

I dont worry about it. All the numbers are approximations to be a guide, not a hard and fast number. Dont sweat it, keep your macros in line, and make small adjustments if you think it will help.