Why is corn so high in calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options

Here is the USDA putting (human consumption) corn in with the veggies, this website is for nutrition and health info. My point is that you can't tell someone they're wrong for calling corn a vegetable or a grain. It falls under both.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables.html

Trust me... I am WELL aware that the USDA erroneously classifies corn as a vegetable. I'm also well aware of the bias toward the corn industry, and government subsidies favoring corn above any other food, because corn is extraordinarily profitable. The resources I could cite are innumerable. Read any book by Michael Pollan.

http://grist.org/article/food-2010-09-21-op-ed-corn-subsidies-make-unhealthy-food-choices/

Edited to say: I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I want to encourage people to gain insight on the US government's relationship to the food they eat. It's not always in the interest of your personal health. Do your own research on the food you put in your mouth; where it comes from and who is involved in its production. Just be aware, and make your own choices. I don't care what you choose to put in your body. But if you come here and say "well the USDA says so it must be true" then it indicates to me you don't have any awareness of the corn industry whatsoever.

Arguing over corn on the internet. Is this what you do with your life?
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    welcome to the end of blissful unawareness.
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    Because it has carbs in it.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I love Popcorn.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You call it corn. I call it maize.

;)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Corn is high in calories, sugar, starch and it's a grain. Too be eaten in moderation if you're attempting to lose weight. I add a little corn occasionally to a dish and use it as a "condiment" in something else for it's delicious flavor!
  • Malsbury29
    Malsbury29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Also, here is sweet corn classified under vegetable from the University of Illinois
    http://urbanext.illinois.edu/vegproblems/vegetables.cfm

I'm sorry to seem argumentative, but these sites are not discussing the consumption and digestion of the product, the references are for pest control. Both of these references are essentially the same, and please notice they list "tomato" under "vegetable crops".

The websites you're referencing are talking about farming from an agricultural perspective, not a nutritional one.

Here is the USDA putting (human consumption) corn in with the veggies, this website is for nutrition and health info. My point is that you can't tell someone they're wrong for calling corn a vegetable or a grain. It falls under both.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables.html

And this thinking right here (trusting anything the USDA or FDA have to say) is why the U.S. is in BIG trouble.

They want us to be sheep just like most people are............

Let's all quote the all mighty USDA because they are right......... <roll eyes>

I know this is an old post, but do you have to seem so RUDE? So not everyone has been so blessed with the nutrition knoweldge that you have? At least they are trying to learn and when you come with the arrogant remarks as you have, you deter people from asking for help and talk about issues... "roll eyes"

Go find some cyber bullies on youtube to try and bully around and leave people who are trying to better their lives alone!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    First rice, then potatoes, now corn. I can't eat anything anymore.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First rice, then potatoes, now corn. I can't eat anything anymore.

Major components of a centenarian diet!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    callmeBAM wrote: »
    Corn is a grain.
    Tomatoes are fruit.
    Peanuts are not nuts.
    Anything else we need to clear up?

Oh, grass fed cows are lean, corn fed are fat. Draw your own conclusions :)
    Bananas are berries, but strawberries aren't.

Food is so damn confusing, lol. :)
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I count my corn calories by how much is actually digested. If I poop back out 50% of my corn then it was only 50% of the calories duh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^I'm with this guy

Corn is a negative food... if it comes out the same as it went in- then I'm not counting said calories.