Gastric Bypass

AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I would like to hear everyone's experience with Gastric Bypass Surgery. My MamMaw (grandmother) is in her 70's, high blood pressure, heart condition, and had the surgery yesterday. She is doing well so far as far as recovery, but I don't know much about the procedure, or what happens afterward, so if anyone has experience, please share!

Thanks!

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    I would like to hear everyone's experience with Gastric Bypass Surgery. My MamMaw (grandmother) is in her 70's, high blood pressure, heart condition, and had the surgery yesterday. She is doing well so far as far as recovery, but I don't know much about the procedure, or what happens afterward, so if anyone has experience, please share!

Thanks!
    thats funny...i was just talking bout my bfs mom who had it done 10-11months ago... its deff a proccess and it all depends on the person and their body...everyone who has it done can handle different types of foods and then theres people that are minimally affected by things and as long as they listen to what the doctor says exactly then everything goes well :).
  • polly7525
    polly7525 Posts: 6
    I'm amazed at someone aged 70 having this procedure but I'm guessing you're not in the UK!! I'm a healthcare professional and have briefly considered this in the past but decided against.

If your Grandmother has other health conditions then there's a good chance that the benefits of weight loss for her would outweigh the risks of the procedure. Bypass is obviously permanent unlike gastric banding which can be reversed.

Like the previous poster said, it all depends on the individual, some people recover well with minimal
    discomfort and adapt well to liquid/restricted diet. Others may have a lot of pain particularly when eating and it is possible to still eat high calorie/fat foods - just in smaller quantities or pureed.

If she is closely monitored and follows medical advice then she'll be fine I'm sure!
    7688.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    I'm amazed at someone aged 70 having this procedure but I'm guessing you're not in the UK!! I'm a healthcare professional and have briefly considered this in the past but decided against.

If your Grandmother has other health conditions then there's a good chance that the benefits of weight loss for her would outweigh the risks of the procedure. Bypass is obviously permanent unlike gastric banding which can be reversed.

Like the previous poster said, it all depends on the individual, some people recover well with minimal
    discomfort and adapt well to liquid/restricted diet. Others may have a lot of pain particularly when eating and it is possible to still eat high calorie/fat foods - just in smaller quantities or pureed.

If she is closely monitored and follows medical advice then she'll be fine I'm sure!

Yes, we were concerned with her age, and other health conditions, but apparently, it was necessary. I think the reason is with her arthritis, after a while she wouldn't even be able to carry her weight. She is a very short lady, and with the weight that she has struggled with for 60+ years, her belly literally is only probably 3 feet from the floor. I really hope that she will be closely working with doctors for her diet. It would be really difficult to change your eating habits after that long...
This discussion has been closed.