Pain after Crunches!!! ADVICE!

Options
Hey MFP friends. I have been working out with core rhythms dvd since last week, and since last week and this week I have been doing 100 to 300 crunches a day. I can feel the burn even the next day most of the times. However today, after 200 crunches my midsection started hurting a lot. It still hurts now. I want to know if this has happened to anyone else? And what can I do? Also am I doing things right? Thank you in advanced for replying. :)

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be working the same muscle group so hard every day. Muscles need time to repair, adapt, and grow; this happens during the recovery (rest) period. Do your core workout 3 days per week with a full day of rest in between. Occasionally (every 5-6 weeks), give your muscles a longer rest period, at least 4-5 days to make sure they're fully repaired.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be working the same muscle group so hard every day. Muscles need time to repair, adapt, and grow; this happens during the recovery (rest) period. Do your core workout 3 days per week with a full day of rest in between. Occasionally (every 5-6 weeks), give your muscles a longer rest period, at least 4-5 days to make sure they're fully repaired.

^ This

Or don't even bother with isolation core exercises. Focus on compound strength training lifts, this way you work your core as a secondary muscle while you work multiple other muscle at the same time.
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ok Thank you, but is it a bad idea to work out 3 days straight, then have a full day rest, then have 3 more days of working out?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    why dont you use an ab wheel for 5 minutes and get a much better workout that hits your whole core in a fraction of the time?
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    what is an ab wheel?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ok Thank you, but is it a bad idea to work out 3 days straight, then have a full day rest, then have 3 more days of working out?

Yes that is not a good idea. Your muscles need time to recover. So if try one day on, one day off, repeat, this way they have around 48 hours of rest and recovery.

Not sure why you want to work your abs so much, doing isolation ab exercises has no bearing on waist size or stomach fat loss, as you cannot target fat loss.