Couch to 5k

Options
Tomorrow I plan to start the couch to 5k program. Anyone else here, especially those on the larger side (I'm currently a size 12/14) who could share their experiences would be greatly appreciated. I used to LOVE running and competing in marathons/ half marathons with my, now deceased, husband. I gained a good deal of weight after his death and gave it up. I'm a little leery of how the extra weight will be on my joints.

Replies

• VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    hey!!! I am doing week 9 day 3 today!!

and I am WAY larger than a woman 12/14

it starts out so slowly, so it helps you build and if you are uncomfortable moving to another week, just repeat that one again

AND I got some *kitten* kicking Brooks running shoes!
  • nano2317
    nano2317 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am doing it as well. I am a size 16 and I can run a mile and half now with out stopping.. Just stay dedicated to it.. It gets easier evertime I run. The first day I was out of breath right away.
  • Audrey403
    Audrey403 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Did it, loved it, lost 23 pounds by the end.
    I think I was in my 150's when I did it? I was never a runner ever, and could barely run the very few minutes that the program requires at the very beginning. Now I can run for at least an hour straight. I completed my first 5K two weeks ago at 36mins!
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    i ran 2.19 miles Wednesday night

I look like a T-rex running

I am still 272 pounds
  • clairedance
    Options
    I'm a size 18 and I'm doing a 5k training program similar to, but not, C25K. It's still a gentle interval training program. The keys are to start gently, listen to your body, and focus on endurance. The running will help take off those extra pounds you are worried about! Just remember that no matter what your size, your body has to gain bone and muscle strength to support itself. And also - you did it before, you can do it again! :)
  • mstx70
    mstx70 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3, Day 2 and things seem to be going pretty well. I'm a size 16 and I'm hanging in there =) Good luck!!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 200 pounds, size 14 and rockin' it. It's a great program and like others have said it starts out slowly so your body has time to get used to it. I would definitely suggest giving it a go!
  • pten0pus
    pten0pus Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to start. My partner is in the Military and runs regularly. I'd love to have something we can do together. The fact that there are others of you out there my size, and larger, who have been able to accomplish this makes me feel even better. I'm still pretty new to MFP. But, man, you guys ROCK!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

OH MY! The visual on that is HILARIOUS!!!

Seriously, though, I bet you look like a runner!
  • areber07
    areber07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Finished the C2 5K program a few weeks ago and just started the Bridge to 10k. My advice would to be to start out slow, if on the treadmill I would do a 4.5 at no incline for the first few weeks, then listen to your body. It will let you know when it is ready to go faster.
    I was doing my program at 4.9 and 5.0 and getting easily winded. So I have backed it back down to 4.7 or 4.8 with intervals of 5.0-5.5 just to help train myself to go faster for longer amounts of time. I was almost 240 when I started and I am almost under 200 now. Good Luck!!!!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am a size 12/14 and started the Couch to 5K 9-10 weeks ago. I am running my first 5K race tomorrow! My reccomendations as others have said are:

1. Start off slow. Whatever speed works for you. This program is for endurance, not speed. Many people cannot entirely run a 5K at the end of 9 weeks. That's okay. You learn to run for 30 minutes straight and then work on pace/speed.

2. Please invest in running shoes. Go get fitted. My shoes (Mizunos) and my husband's (Asics) were no more than $110. So not a HUGE bank breaker like I thought.

3. Have fun!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing C5K also. Feel free to add me. I'm in the midst of planning my wedding (which is next month), go to the gym and am doing JM workouts, so I'm trying to balance and stay on track!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I love hearing everyone's stories!!! Makes me so proud of y'all. :flowerforyou:

I joined MFP at 200lbs (probably over) and had been on for a week or so and kept seeing posts about C25K but didn't think it was something I was capable of doing. I decided I should give it a shot (without much hope for a positive turnout) and I'm now on Week 6!!

The only running I had ever done in my life was from the police when I was a kid so for me this was a HUGE deal. I go pretty slowly with bursts here and there and I'm still learning to control my breathing and also found that occasionally my knee bothers me after but all in all I couldn't be happier with my progress.

The other day I had to do two 10 minute runs and I completed both and had been upset about something so I repeated the whole thing just to burn off some stress. 40 minutes total of jogging!!

When I first started I thought that the 90 second intervals would kill me and now I can go for 5 minutes like nothing!!

MY FH is in the military also and I'm looking forward to the day we can take a run together.

Best of luck!! Anyone is welcome to add me if you want.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    about 300lbs here and just finished the program today. I can run for 30 min but still to slow to get 5k done in that time.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I am starting it Monday (it's raining here and not planning on stopping!) Add me if you want a buddy :)

All I have heard is awesome things. Now I am planning on training to do a 5K in September.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've completed that program twice now, and both times I was in a 12-14-some even 16 size shorts. It's good to do, just stick with it and repeat a week if you need to. no need to rush, you're in it for a lifetime of health. :) Good luck!
  • VenomousDuck
    Options

OH MY! The visual on that is HILARIOUS!!!

Seriously, though, I bet you look like a runner!

I paint myself green and keep my arms tucked close.
    the huffing and puffing sounds close enough to a growl....
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    I am a 266 lb male doing the C25k, currently on week 2. So far its been going good. By the end I am drenched in sweat, and sometimes I have cramps. I'll see how I do week 3 and if I can't do it I'll do week 2 another week.

Good luck to u! :)
  • tngfordisney
    tngfordisney Posts: 115
    Options
    I've completed that program twice now, and both times I was in a 12-14-some even 16 size shorts. It's good to do, just stick with it and repeat a week if you need to. no need to rush, you're in it for a lifetime of health. :) Good luck!

Well said. I like that.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I am a 266 lb male doing the C25k, currently on week 2. So far its been going good. By the end I am drenched in sweat, and sometimes I have cramps. I'll see how I do week 3 and if I can't do it I'll do week 2 another week.

Good luck to u! :)

Just don't give up on yourself!! Take your time and repeat if you have to - just never stop pushing yourself. :)