As you lose...

GreenEyedMonster
GreenEyedMonster Posts: 803
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So I think I figured out what my biggest barrier is going to be as far as losing and keep losing:

So here we all are, trying to do the right thing for ourselves and we're tracking what we eat, how much we exercise and getting into good habits. Habits... oddly enough it's where a lot of our sucesses of started but here is also where the problems eventually form. At roughly 230 pounds I needed to take in about 2250-2500 calories in a day to lose at a healthy pace so I track and eat about the same breakfast, lunch and dinner keeping all the calories from day to day about the same and therefore starting a 'habit'. Fantastic!! I've lost about 13ish pounds! "Wait... what do you mean my daily intake of calories has dropped to about 1950 to keep the same weight lose?" And so now the habit I worked so hard to form has to be adjusted once again...

Fortunately while working out I've put on a bit more muscle which replaces 'bad' weight with 'good' weight and reduces the drastic drop in calories I need to cut. The moral of the storie, I suppose, is be vigilant about your habits; the more you lose the more you have to a) work out more or b) cut more calories to keep losing.

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    when you get to your goal weight you will not be allowed that many calories, so i know it may sound dumb, but i feel like you should just enjoy those cals now and realize it is temporary and that it is not a healthy amount to be eating at any weight lower than what youre at now

im at 1200 and thought id never be able to do it, but i did. and i imagine it must be quite the challenge to keep reducing your cals once youve managed one amount, but you can do it. just keep your eye on the prize.
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    I too am working with 1200 too, a drop from the 1450 i started out with, and even a small drop is hard to manage. At least they let you down slow- focus on cutting calories out of your routine in a manageable way. If you have cream cheese with a bagel, replace it with light. Or if you usually get a latte replace it with a nonfat latte. Let the cals go slowly, in ways that you won't miss quite so much.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    actually, the drop should be very small, because, yes, our bodies need less calories as we loose weight, but also you have to remember, as you drop weight, you should be looking to have a smaller deficit because your body requires more calories to burn at a healthy rate.

for instance.

when I started I was 235 and my maintenance calories were about 3000. So my deficit was about 900 which meant I was eating about 2100 a day.

when I was down to around 215 my maintenance calories was at about 2875 but I dropped my deficit to 800 so I was still eating about 2050 a day (mind you, this is not counting exercise for any of these numbers)

when I hit 200 my maintenance calories were 2775 and I was eating 2100

at 190 I was at 2725 maintenance, and eating 2300

now at about 183 my maintenance is about 2700 flat and I eat about 2900 (because I'm doing a very specific muscle gain program)

so as you see, I didn't really need to change my calories by a whole lot, even though I went through a 50 plus pound swing. Only when I hit maintenance did I up my calories by a lot.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    actually, the drop should be very small, because, yes, our bodies need less calories as we loose weight, but also you have to remember, as you drop weight, you should be looking to have a smaller deficit because your body requires more calories to burn at a healthy rate.

for instance.

when I started I was 235 and my maintenance calories were about 3000. So my deficit was about 900 which meant I was eating about 2100 a day.

when I was down to around 215 my maintenance calories was at about 2875 but I dropped my deficit to 800 so I was still eating about 2050 a day (mind you, this is not counting exercise for any of these numbers)

now at about 183 my maintenance is about 2700 flat and I eat about 2900 (because I'm doing a very specific muscle gain program)

so as you see, I didn't really need to change my calories by a whole lot, even though I went through a 50 plus pound swing. Only when I hit maintenance did I up my calories by a lot.
    *cough know it all cough* haha jk :)
  • SHBoss1673

for instance.

*cough know it all cough* haha jk :)
    :grumble:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    good point, SHBoss! It is very a confusing point to try to grasp, but that is basically what I did, too....but with less exercise :tongue:
  • silverharmony
    silverharmony Posts: 11 Member
    but he's my favorite know it all!!! mr boss sir do you have a site where you have compiled all your extremely helpful posts? i want it all in one place!! (yes i know i can search by posts you have made, but it pulls all replies and stuff too...not fun to sift thru...

~H
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    I was on 1200 calories for loss, on maintenance my calories went up to 1400 with my workouts. I had to eat more, all over again!! I am happy with that, the only difference is now, after all this time my eating habits are healthier and I eat a lot more now than I did when I was un healthy...YAY
  • If you like to form good habbits and eat pretty much the same foods, you might want to plan out a few different options for meals.

For example, I like to go out with my friends and drink socially. This requires a lot of calories, and although I don't do it as often or drink as much, I still like to do it occasionally. I also do not like to eat the same thing day in and day out...

So I have a few meals planned that have less calories but still keep me full for the days where I want to reallocate my caloric intake (to include for a special dinner or alcohol or whatever it may be). If you make a plan like that, then when you start to drop in caloric needs, you already have meals in place that you know you like and can keep you full and thus helps to make a smoother transition.

I don't know if I let my thoughts out clearly...I hope you get the gist...
  • actually, the drop should be very small, because, yes, our bodies need less calories as we loose weight, but also you have to remember, as you drop weight, you should be looking to have a smaller deficit because your body requires more calories to burn at a healthy rate.

for instance.

Fair enough. Though if you ask me the small adjustments are harder to make. Sure we can substitue for light, fat free, sugar free, or drop it altogether but what if you've made the habit without anything that can be substituted. Different meals is a good idea too. This is mostly just a devil's advocate post so to speak.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Well I started at 180 and they started me at 1200 calories, which, I believe, is the minimum. I am down to 175 now. So how can my program change if I am already consuming the minimum number of calories?
  • Something kind of related in case you haven't seen it yet. It may be easier to cut and paste it into a word doc or something:

Exercise #1- Mifflin St Jeor Equation

Male equation: 4.55*wt (lbs) + 15.88*Ht (inches) - 5*Age (yrs) + 5 = REE (resting energy expenditure)

Female equation: 4.55*wt (lbs) + 15.88*ht (inches) - 5*Age (yrs) -161 = REE

Activity factors: 1.3 = sedentary 1.4 = walking/standing no exercise
    1.5 = exercise 1.6 = walking & exercise 1.8 = heavy lifting & exercise

Remember: you can use a range for your activity factor (e.g., 1.4-1.5)

Male:

(4.55 x __________ wt in lbs) + (15.88 x ________ ht in inches) - (5 x _________ yrs) +5 =

_________________ + _________________ - _________________ + 5 = ____________
    wt result ht result age result REE

____________ x _________________ = ______________________________
    REE Activity factor(s) Calories to maintain weight

Subtract 500 to 1,000 calories = _____________________
    Calories to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week
    Female:

(4.55 x ________ wt in lbs) + (15.88 x ________ ht in inches) - (5 x _________ yrs)
    -161 =

_________________ + _________________ - _________________ -161 = ____________

• SHBoss1673
    Well I started at 180 and they started me at 1200 calories, which, I believe, is the minimum. I am down to 175 now. So how can my program change if I am already consuming the minimum number of calories?

it doesn't that is the cut off point for MFP, it won't let you go below 1200 because that's considered unsafe. Actually, you will probably end up rising above 1200 if you decrease your deficit.

see this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

I wrote it a long time ago, but it still pertains.
  • SHBoss1673
    Something kind of related in case you haven't seen it yet. It may be easier to cut and paste it into a word doc or something:

Male equation: 4.55*wt (lbs) + 15.88*Ht (inches) - 5*Age (yrs) + 5 = REE (resting energy expenditure)

Male:

(4.55 x __________ wt in lbs) + (15.88 x ________ ht in inches) - (5 x _________ yrs) +5 =

Female:

(4.55 x ________ wt in lbs) + (15.88 x ________ ht in inches) - (5 x _________ yrs)
    -161 =

or use this calculator and subtract the calories per day you want as a deficit
    http://www.bestdallaspersonaltrainer.com/energy-expenditure-calculator.html

Just have to 1UP me dontcha? :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673

LOL, naw, I use that formula too. But I know how people on here think, they'll take one look at it, and be like, nu uh!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    but he's my favorite know it all!!! mr boss sir do you have a site where you have compiled all your extremely helpful posts? i want it all in one place!! (yes i know i can search by posts you have made, but it pulls all replies and stuff too...not fun to sift thru...

~H

click the # of posts under his profile pic and under where it says Joined .... - it will take you to all his posts!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Something kind of related in case you haven't seen it yet. It may be easier to cut and paste it into a word doc or something:

Male:

Female:

-161 =

I'm glad you posted this. Thanks
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member

LOL, naw, I use that formula too. But I know how people on here think, they'll take one look at it, and be like, nu uh!

Not everyone!!! :laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    This is why I bought my elliptical machine. I just dieted at first, but when I got down around 230 and it cut my intake down to 1700-1800 or so it was just miserable. I started exercising in self defense, to keep from starving!

Best move I ever made - I love the changes from the exercise. Adding resistance training now too.

My BP is now 110/65, my resting pulse is 60, I can put out at 15 cals per minute 'til the cows come home. It's kewl, and none of that would have happened if I'd stuck to just dieting. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.