Sugar is destryoying my diet! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Quoted from http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/sugar.html#

Sugars: Also listed under Total Carbohydrate on food labels, sugars are found in most foods. However, the Nutrition Facts label doesn't make the distinction between natural sugars and added sugars. Natural sugars are found in many foods, including fruit and dairy products. Snack foods, candy, and soda often have large amounts of added sugars. To find out if a food has added sugar, you need to look at the ingredient list for sugar, corn syrup or sweetener, dextrose, fructose, honey, or molasses, to name just a few. Avoid products that have sugar or other sweeteners high on the ingredient list.

Quoted from http://www.cspinet.org/new/sugar.html

USDA advises people who eat a 2,000-calorie healthful diet to try to limit themselves to about 10 teaspoons of added sugars per day. In fact, the average American does not eat a healthful diet, but consumes 20 teaspoons of added sugars per day.

Quoted from http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/lifestyle_triglycerides_sugar.htm

Consumption of “added sugars” includes:

table sugar (refined, processed sugars from cane, beet - sucrose - added to foods by the manufacturer, cook or consumer)
    corn sugar (glucose)
    corn syrup
    high-fructose corn syrup commonly added to fruit juices
    sugars naturally present in fruint juices
    honey, and
    other syrups, like molasses and maple syrup.

The term “added sugars” does not include the sugars naturally present in:

milk (lactose)
    fruit (fructose, sucrose), and
    vegetables.

A report released in 2006 by the World Health Organization (WHO) urges people to limit their daily consumption of free (added) sugars to less than 10 percent of their total energy intake (Diet Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases; TRS916). This recommendation adds up to approximately 12 teaspoons (48 grams) of added (free) sugar a day based on an average 2000-calorie diet.

Found this table at http://www.fitsugar.com/3035229

This was too much to copy and paste, but is very informative. http://www.pamf.org/diabetes/basics/diet.html

I'm never going to cut out fruits or milk from my diet, because there are many more benefits, and the sugar in them is natural. I do however, read labels more often, and look to see what the added sugars are, and if they are within the top 3 to 5 of the list, I don't buy it, or I look for a better version.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not, but I never even look at the amount of sugar I intake a day

I just try to eat clean whole foods

My carbs are generally from whole grains, fruit, veggies. Just try to watch out for processed foods and eat clean.

certain fruits are high in sugar, but fruits are good for you....don't stop eating them, but don't eat 10 bananas a day

My thoughts exactly--I think if one is diabetic it's important to limit high sugar fruits, but otherwise they offer so many other nutrional benefits like fiber, vitamins & minerals, that it seems unreasonable to severely limit or cut them out.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not, but I never even look at the amount of sugar I intake a day

I just try to eat clean whole foods

My carbs are generally from whole grains, fruit, veggies. Just try to watch out for processed foods and eat clean.

certain fruits are high in sugar, but fruits are good for you....don't stop eating them, but don't eat 10 bananas a day

My thoughts exactly--I think if one is diabetic it's important to limit high sugar fruits, but otherwise they offer so many other nutrional benefits like fiber, vitamins & minerals, that it seems unreasonable to severely limit or cut them out.

Phew, thanks!

I had just recently also added "Sugar" to my tracking and my morning banana with 2 Weetabix biscuits and half cup of 1% milk almost put me out of the park AND THAT WAS JUST BREAKFAST!!!

Makes sense we keep an eye on the source of the sugar.

I also like the "Don't eat 12 bananas a day" :smile:

:flowerforyou:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    A delicious omelette of 4 EGGS, meat, onions, and peppers.

No sugar, no carbs, no fooling around AND as an added bonus, it's very filling.
  • jenj1983
    jenj1983 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think all the low carb diets have really made us over conscious on sugar. You're not going to convince me that a tomato is bad for me because it is high in sugar. I'm not going to deprive myself of yummy fruits and veggies because they happen to contain natural sugar. I think refined sugar and sweets should be cut out but not fruits and veggies. My motto is "all things in moderation" and I just ate 3 hershey's kisses and I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Also, fortunately for me, I don't ever crave sweets in the AM! I usually have coffee with milk, whole toast, and peanut butter with a tiny bit of honey on it. Keeps me full for a long time!

Also, for you yogurt lovers, eat Greek yogurt as it is naturally lower in sugar and much higher in protein that other yogurts out there! To sweeten it up, add fresh berries and enjoy!!
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    Unfortunately, the food log doesn't differentiate between natural sugar and added sugar. So naturally you are going to go over the alloted amount. Just minus all of the natural sugar that comes from fruits, veggies, milk and look at your food label's ingredient list to see if any type of sugar i.e. high fructose corn syrup are added.

I don't know if wheat has any natural sugar in it exactly, guess I'll have to do some research. Also remember that eating complex carbs fight the effect that sugar does to your blood glucose level.

Like another poster stated "just try to eat clean whole foods" not refined, processed as much as possible and you should be fine.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    But how much fat?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This has been talked about quite often on here.
    Search sugar, and you will see threads and links within the threads about it.
    Natural sugars, fruits, carbs, when it comes down to it, the body just recognizes sugar.

I also did the healthy choice, lean cuisine. They were cheap, affordable, convenient.
    Then I pulled up my sodium on my chart. I was over many days.
    Then I pulled up sugar, and realized that my apple, possibly a banana, some grapes, and a yogurt in a day along with sugars in milk, were totally putting me over.

24 or 25gms of sugar is hard to stay under, but try to stay under 40 or 50.. It's alot better than going over 100(without realizing it).

There is extra "sugars" in alot of our food that's not needed.
    Food manufacturers put lots of sodium and sugar for flavour.

Remember if a 100 calorie yogurt has 13 grams of sugar that's 52 calories of the 100 are total sugar.

I had watched a show, here's a thread I started. I believe part 5 or 6 shows them talking about sodium and sugar in our foods.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/59247-jamie-oliver-eat-to-save-your-life?hl=jamie+oliver&page=1#posts-704185
  • Demetria
    Options
    So I was looking at my sugar. it seems that the only time I go over in my sugar is when I snack. Damn those tasty tasty snacks. Oh there is the occasional orange juice. I must quit that also I guess. its simply orange so.....maybe....Im not going to give it up. Ill just drink less. I love orange juice

Youre more than welocme to look at my diary if you would like. Just not the snack part. Ok Ok I guess.

Eat oranges instead, there's more fiber and other nutrients you can benefit from!

Demetria
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

I know some people will knock it, but I've gone back on Slim fast breakfasts... with ice and a banana they are yummy and really keep me full all morning. But now, I see that just the shake and HALF a banana is putting me over my sugar for the DAY!

Anyone have ideas on EASY breakfasts/snacks/lunches that are low in Sugar?

Thanks for reading!
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
    Now you realize why those slim fast breakfasts taste so good :tongue: :glasses:
  • Demetria
    Options
    But how much fat?

what are you asking exactly?

And remember our bodies do need sugar to some extent just like fat, so as long as it is from natural sources like fruits, veggies, milk then don't worry about it so much.

For all of the other foods I say look at the ingredients list for the added sugar that the manufacturers put in; high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, sucrose (table sugar) and such.

Demetria
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys! It really helped to know that just that one thing wasn't going to de-rail me. So I am monitoring my sugar intake by eating less processed foods and I have cut back my soda to 3x a week now. But I won't beat myself up over the sugar in milk, banana's, grapes... etc. :flowerforyou: Thank you everybody!
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi - there is an excellent breakfast shake - if you want convenience in the am! it is called Body Wise- no sugar and 20 grms of protein :bigsmile: - comes in vanilla and chocolate. I make it with skim milk and sometimes add some fruit like blueberries - tastes like a great smoothie!:flowerforyou:
    You have to buy it from a distributor and they can be found on the web site - it is delivered to your door and you can automatically debit a credit card. I like the convenience and I never run out! :happy:
    www.bodywise.com
    H

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 rounded scoops (34 g)
    Servings Per Container 15
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 130 Calories from Fat 35 % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 4g 6%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Cholesterol 20mg 7%
    Sodium 280mg 12%
    Potassium 440mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    Sugars <1g
    Protein 20g 40%
    Vitamin A 35% • Vitamin C 35% • Calcium 35%
    Vitamin D 45% • Vitamin E 35% • Thiamin 35%
    Riboflavin 35% • Niacin 35% • Vitamin B6 30%
    Folic Acid 40% • Vitamin B12 45% • Biotin 40%
    Pantothenic Acid 40% • Phosphorus 30% • Iodine 40%
    Magnesium 25% • Zinc 40% • Selenium 37%
    Copper 40% • Manganese 40% • Chromium 40%
    Molybdenum 45%
    Not a significant source of iron
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or
    lower depending on your calorie needs:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    im confused by this too, because fruit has good sugars in it. and you're supposed to eat lots of fruit/veggies. i wonder if MFP is incorrect on the sugar amounts... :wink:

Technically you should be eating a lot of veggies and fruit in moderation (like a dessert).

I find that is what most people do. Stop eating the cakes, cookies, candy, etc and then eat a lot of fruit. You are maintaining that sugar addiction. So, even though fruit is healthier, you are not ridding yourself of the addiction to sugar. You are just trading one form for another form, which in the long run is not good for your body as far as insulin release, triglycerides and cholesterol.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I think all the low carb diets have really made us over conscious on sugar. You're not going to convince me that a tomato is bad for me because it is high in sugar. I'm not going to deprive myself of yummy fruits and veggies because they happen to contain natural sugar. I think refined sugar and sweets should be cut out but not fruits and veggies. My motto is "all things in moderation" and I just ate 3 hershey's kisses and I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Also, fortunately for me, I don't ever crave sweets in the AM! I usually have coffee with milk, whole toast, and peanut butter with a tiny bit of honey on it. Keeps me full for a long time!

Also, for you yogurt lovers, eat Greek yogurt as it is naturally lower in sugar and much higher in protein that other yogurts out there! To sweeten it up, add fresh berries and enjoy!!

I think it is a good thing that the low carb WOL has made people more conscious of what they are putting in their mouth (for some people).

Too much natural sugar is not a good thing either.

Protein and fat should be the #1 on your plate due to it making you full and keeping you satisfied.

Lots of veggies, low carb diets never said to stop eating veggies and fruits. If you read that some where, that is grossly misinformation..................

Fruit should be eaten as a dessert or a treat. Not 3, 4, 5, 6 servings a day. All you are continuing to do is to feed a sugar addiction.
  • sheilamatt2005
    Options
    just tagging the thread :wink:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Only certain types of fats are good for you remember. 2 fruits a day is what is recommended. We are all obsessed with numbers-I'm one of them too. Changes should be made with common sense. It's a hard change...for me too. I'm very lured to the darkside of salty/sweets very easily. Hormones, stress, boredom, you name it can get us there. I'm taking sugar off of my diary and replacing it with fiber that will at least combat sugars and carbs to lower the insulin spike and try to use my head when it comes to my eating. Wish me luck!:drinker: