POOP...

Options
i dont poop often.. maybe once every other day... or every few.

is this normal

Replies

• ashleyjea1985
    Options
    i dont poop often.. maybe once every other day... or every few.

is this normal
  • babyhippo
    Options
    :ohwell: Welcome to the "I had bran flakes for breakfast again this morning" club.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Unless there are doctors on here (there may well be, I just haven't seen anyone claim it), you probably would gain much more from a consultation then asking this on here. Personally, I would probably slightly concerned if it was me, if this is the case for a prolonged period (say more then a couple of weeks).
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everyone poops at different intervals. Some people poop twice a day. Some people only poop every few days. As long as you poop, say, 3 times a week, I say you are normal.

UNLESS this is a drastic change from what you are used to (if you went more often before starting MFP.) Then, you need to see a doctor.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Welcome to the "I had bran flakes for breakfast again this morning" club.
    I love how you put that and I'm right with ya! LOL
  • badtzmaru7979
    Options
    im like you. i dont feel i have a problem. like the lady above everyone is diffent. if you feel that there has been a drastic change then talk to a doctor. but if this is normal for you i wouldnt worry about it.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    No offense you any of you non poopers but it is normal for a healthy person eatting a healthy well balanced diet to poop once per day or , and this is a big one, have smaller bm's after each major meal. If it is taking several days for you to have a bm your diet is probably lacking in fiber fiber fiber.
    My suggestion is to increase your fruits and veggies for a week and your tummy will be gassy and after that week your bm should be more regular and then you need to continue the healthier eatting.

Granted I don't know what you eat, but I can tell you as a woman, that has had kids and is over 30 that you must eat high fiber cereal for breakfast or snack, lots of veggies and fruit or be horribly constipated. Also, I can say that just before my period I have one of two problems, I either get horribly bloated and constipated or I'm in the bathroom more than any person ever wants to be.

IF it continues and brings pain I would see your doctor, or at least call and leave a message for one of the nurses, they will probably tell you to drink something like prune juice.....mmmmmmmmmm.

:drinker:
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    Alot of good things said about fiber you can keep track of fiber intake on this site i would try to have around 30 gm per day and plenty of water If you do not have any other GI problems this should help. I would be less concerned about the frequency at every other day but the the type of stool color water content do you have to strain to evacuate the stool. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about this
  • feelinglight
    Options
    I agree that at least one and more poops a day is healthy, less than that is constipated. You might want to explore a colonic treatment to gently cleanse the bowels. It's pretty toxic to have poop in the bowels that just stays there.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    To clarify about what constipation is, here is the info from the NDDIC (National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse), a service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health:

Constipation is defined as having a bowel movement fewer than three times per week. With constipation stools are usually hard, dry, small in size, and difficult to eliminate. Some people who are constipated find it painful to have a bowel movement and often experience straining, bloating, and the sensation of a full bowel.

Some people think they are constipated if they do not have a bowel movement every day. However, normal stool elimination may be three times a day or three times a week, depending on the person.

To learn more, go here: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/

I hope this is helpful to all!
  • bells
    bells Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh. Just the subject alone cracks me up.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal -- in put equals out put-- if you are eating less, you should be pooping less.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Flax is awsome for regulating your bowels. I have it every morning added to my cottage cheese or yogurt. :smile:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    fiber!!!!! Lots of water!!!!!!
    Eat your fruits and veggies, drink lots of water.
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Are we really discussing POOP? Wow what next? hehhee
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Well, <my 2 cents> ... I've heard Lee Haney (A former World-Class Bodybuilder) say if you eat 4-6 times a day ... well, you should be pooping 4-6 times a day. I'm sure he is using something along the lines of flax oil, flax seed, Omega 3, 6, & 9 to help in the pooping process. Its to lubricate the uh ... well, you know the pooping pipe Lol! Its very important to release this back-up if you plan on staying healthy.

Maybe try a colon cleanser ....but more importantly, speak to your doctor.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    All the fruit and veggies keep me pretty regular :embarassed: ,
    I agree with the people who are saying you need more fiber and produce.
  • terriberri
    Options
    dr. oz says....

just kidding. if anyone watches oprah, they've seen the dr. oz show where he goes into detail about how often you should....um....poop....and what it should look like too!!!!! (and danged if you don't look at your own after hearing him to see if it looks the way he says it should...lol).

just had to giggle that in on this topic.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have major issues in this department :embarassed:

What works for me is flax seeds in my yogurt, raisin bran or high fibre cereal, lots of green veggies and my latest love spinach (taste gross and works great!). I also have to take fibre supplements in the morning and have a glass of benefibre at night. Yes, I do this daily otherwise I can actually go weeks without ummm, going. All the fibre makes you a little farty but, if you take it at the right times you won't be embarrased at work. All of this is done with the blessing of my doctor.

Also, I heard the colonic cleaning thing takes away the natural bacterial balance and was not a good idea. Who knows though really. My personal opinion is if it works for you and makes you feel better...do it!

Happy pooping everyone! Ok, I am now truly embarrassed and need to hide under my desk.
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    welp .... all this talk ... & guess wat I um, uh ... well lets jus say I've had my fiber work in my favor today