Running/cycling with sciatica?

Options
R8uge
R8uge Posts: 41 Member
Evening MFPers,

Does anyone find exercise great for their sciatica? I am 50 weeks post L5 disc surgery, my surgeon said not to run for 12 months - 2 weeks to go.

My sciatica is a tad annoying and it is somewhat frustrating only having feeling in one leg. Do any of you find that running, cycling, hill sprints etc free it up and get rid of the naughty numbness?

I am keen to give my surgeon my ironman or ultra marathon medal within the next 12 months - your advice can make that happen.

Any tips, advice or positive experiences will be warmly received.

Live richly,

Guy

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I am keen to give my surgeon my ironman or ultra marathon medal within the next 12 months - your advice can make that happen.

Sorry no advice but I like your attitude!
  • sscary
    Options
    Like Brian said, your positivity is awesome! Sorry, I'm late to seeing this post!

I was a former Division I soccer player, and sadly, herniated my disc in the same spot as you during training. I was injured at 19 and now I'm 21. I had surgery L5/S1. I found that you can't push these kinds of things, take it slow. I was told that if I stayed on the path I would be okay, but sure enough, I finally got to play again, it only lasted a week and a half. (I was a goalkeeper too if that helps explain anything better)

My best advice, when I started coming back, I did ALL the physical therapy exercises I was given. They focused on stabilizing the core and strengthening the abs. I also did very light weights and resistance bands. Anything that stabilizes your core is the key to success when it comes to back injuries.

After 6 months of trying to play again, I just decided to stop playing all together, while my sciatica isn't horrid, it still is a struggle. I totally understand the feeling of wanting to get back into it again, so I started off running 3-4 miles for about 3-4 months probably at least 4-6 times a day, and after I would stretch EXTREMELY well, and I would do my therapy exercises. After testing the waters, i found that I can do interval training and while my leg still goes numb (which that's what I have to live with), I can usually do that for about 20-30 mins depends on the day. And I do abs for about 15-20 mins where my core is stabilized, and them usually do low weights with high reps and make sure my core is stabilized with those. I never twist either, I'm terrified of what will happen because I tried russian twists once with very low weight.... that was an awful idea, and it's been 2 years since I was injured.

I hope some of this advice helps! It's a long road ahead, and I understand the struggle to want to get back. I struggled so hard giving up the game of soccer. If you need anything, and I mean anything, at all, don't hesistate to add me or message me. I'm always willing to talk to a fellow athlete who is going through what i went through at one time.