not quite sure what to do...

Options
I hesitate to put this on a forum but I'd love some input from people who can relate to me or help me sort this out...

I've been doing this MFP thing for 9 months now. Before mfp I wasn't watching my portions, I wasn't eating as healthy, and I just felt like my weight kept creeping up higher and higher.

In the last 9 months I've learned a lot from tracking my food and exercise. A lot of good has come out of this really- I've lost weight, I've gained muscle, and my diet in general is much more balanced.

I subscribe to the "eat back your exercise calories" idea. I like to eat, and I like to exercise, so it has been working well for me.

But in the last few weeks or so I've noticed a shift. I'll find myself trying to exercise more in order to eat more. If I have a day when I don't exercise I freak out at the idea of only getting to eat 1200 calories. Many of my "freak out" moments lead to binge eating episodes. The binge eating makes me feel really down.

I went to the dr. yesterday for a physical. I'm in great health! 5 feet tall, 123 pounds, good blood pressure and everything. I asked my doctor about calories and how many she thinks I should aim to eat and if I should eat back exercise calories and stuff. My doctor thinks that I need to let go of the calorie counting and try to focus on eating balanced meals and small snacks.

She referred me to a psychologist, but I don't think it is the right move for me at the moment. (and I've been to many psychologists in my life! I think they are great!) I just feel like the calorie counting, exercising thing will work for me- I just need to figure out the right balance.

I'm 5 feet tall, in the 120-125 range. My scale says I'm at 28% body fat. I'd like to lower my body fat and that would probably put me in the 110-115 weight range. I love to run and I'm open to the idea of incorporating more weight training rather than just doing my Jillian Michaels dvds. I typically do at least an hour of cardio a day and on top of that I do a 30 minute Jillian workout 5 days a week.

Should I stick to the 1200 calories a day with eating back my exercise calories? Should I try to eat more calories every day regardless of exercise calories? Should I listen to my Dr. and stop counting calories? Should I be asking these questions to random internet people? (sure! why not?!) :)

Thanks for your help- and please be nice.

Replies

• Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    wow- I just realized how long this post is! I hope someone actually takes the time to read it!
  • Finchtastic1
    Finchtastic1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think if you are working out as much as you are you should be eating WAY more than 1200. I would up it to 1400....that way with all the exercise you wouldnt have to eat back your calories because you'd have more to begin with. There is also the mindset of eating more to lose. You are taking in a lot of exercise and need the fuel. Just food for thought :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I also think if you are working out that much you should probably be eating more.

Also, doctors get very little training in nutrition so I wouldn't count their advice as fact in that department. You'd be better off seeing a proper registered dietitian if you want an informed perspective on what you should be eating daily.
  • Kmacavery
    Kmacavery Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So, as someone who struggles with a lot of the same issues regarding bingeing and counting calories (I'm talking since like 5th grade), I really have to agree with your doctor. I started seeing a psychologist in high school, which is where i finally realized that my behavior was not normal. I ultimately decided to start seeing a nutritionist, who ended up being more of a therapist than my ACTUAL therapist. She was wonderful. I think you have enough knowledge now, and are exercising enough, to where you really don't need to count every single calorie every single day. The idea of feeling like you are only "allowed" 1200 calories can definitely lead to a binge. You feel restricted and probably already assume you will fail, so you give up. I only say this because that's how I feel when I do that to myself. You have staples in your diet and know the approximate calories of each, so stick to what you know and let yourself enjoy some indulgences every now and then. I've found that when I stop obsessing over every bite, just stick to exercising because I want to and because I know it will make me feel awesome, and let myself have some freaking ice cream every now and then, I'm much less likely to feel deprived and go overboard. Trust yourself. Start journaling your emotions, not your calories, and look for patterns. Figure out exactly what it is that triggers your episodes and know that YOU have the power to overcome them. There is always a moment where you have to decide whether to go through with a binge or not...and knowing that you DO have control is so empowering. You are SO inspirational. You challenge yourself and encourage all of us every day. You are so strong, and YOU can do this! I believe in you, and so should you!!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was were you were a few weeks ago, excercising to eat more and freaking when I didn't. I finally decided to up my calories a little and so it wasn't such a big deal.

Do you have a history of ED? I just wonder why your Dr would suggest you see someone unless this was a danger.

If you are going to be strength training, tons of people will tell you that you need to eat more calories but they need to be good ones not a box of cookies....

Favorite website that I have been told about is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    That way you can look at what your goal is and decide how to proceed. Check it out.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hmm...not quite sure about this. To some, everyone on MFP may seem "obsessive" because we are so focused on our health goals but that kind of drive doesn't necessarily mean we need to see a psychologist. Each person is wired differently so it's hard to answer. However, what about going to a dietitian first to ask your questions? After your consultation, if she also thinks a psychologist is recommended then it's probably a good idea since you've got 2 professionals advising this. I am encouraged by your transparency and earnest search for balance!
  • Silvercivic
    Options
    Thanks guys for the responses!

To those of you suggesting to eat more calories- are you talking about base-line calories and then eating back exercise calories? Or just up my calories and then not eat back the exercise calories?
  • Silvercivic
    Options
    Yeah perhaps I'll try to find a nutritionist- that sounds like it would be a better use of time than seeing a psychologist. good call!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different calculators out there to determine your calore level but I like the ones that take age into account because I feel they're a little more accurate (the more data the better, right?). This one I used on the discovery health website put your BMR at 1315.

http://health.discovery.com/centers/heart/basal/basal.html

Assuming you're sedentary, this brings your TDEE to 1580 (BMR * 1.2). Since you only have about 10 pounds to lose, your pound per week weight loss goal should be 1/2 pound. This brings your calorie goal back down to 1330. I would make sure you eat at laest that much AND eat back your exercise calories.

Something else you can try for those rest days since you mentioned them, is to eat at our TDEE. This gives you a litte more wiggle room and shouldn't hold back your weight loss goals.

ETA: I say this because most people don't completely rest on their rest days - you may not be going to the gym or going for a run but you're probably grocery shopping or cleaning or something like that. Not standard recordable exercise but not sitting on the couch either.

Always keep water retention in mind too - high sodium days (add sodium to your diary if it's not already there), TOM, increase in activity and several other things can wreak havoc on your weigh ins. Also, I'd recommend starting to take measurements if you haven't already - this can be a much better measure of progress when you're so close to goal.

You may also want to look into another method of measuring body fat %. I'm not sure how reliable the ones in scales are, especially if you're not able to input your personal information. Also, I know from using my friend's (she's a personal trainer) hand held one that you have to assume a -3% margin of error. So yours says 28% but your body fat % may actually only be 25%, which is on the low end of the average range for women. Better to know for sure than to keep stressing about it.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

Above all, learn patience - it takes a lot more time to take off those last 5-10 pounds than it does to take it off in the beginning.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I found I was getting a little OCD counting calories regularly -- especially adding in exercise calories and the like. I rebelled and ate like garbage on weekends and then felt like garbage because my body wasn't sure how to handle all that anymore. Finally I stopped counting I feel much better and have been able to maintain without feeling like I'm on a "diet" for the rest of my life.

I tend to eat the same foods during the week (and those were ones I was eating when I was counting anyways) and it gives me back some of the control. It sounds like you might want to put on some muscle anyways to look "leaner", so eating more might be your best option anyways.
  • Silvercivic
    Options
    wow thank you! lots of helpful information! :)
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    I tell people this all the time, but really, up your cals! 1200 is really really low, I would be dying on so little! I've eaten this much by mid day most days.

I have my cals set to 2000 per day. Sometimes I don't eat all my exercise cals back, sometimes I do, but there is no pressure on rest days if I'm not exercising to limit my calorie intake. This is the time when your body is recovering and getting stronger, and you need to fuel that process. If your a healthy weight I really don't understand why you woud be on 1200 anyway, surely you should be on maintenance?

Anyway, the point i'm trying to make is if you eat more, but make the right food choices, you are less likely to binge and end up feeling bad becaude of it. I'm not a huge believer in the mfp figures, i'm 110" and maintaining on 2000 cals plus, even though mfp suggests a lot less.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    I tell people this all the time, but really, up your cals! 1200 is really really low, I would be dying on so little! I've eaten this much by mid day most days.

I have my cals set to 2000 per day. Sometimes I don't eat all my exercise cals back, sometimes I do, but there is no pressure on rest days if I'm not exercising to limit my calorie intake. This is the time when your body is recovering and getting stronger, and you need to fuel that process. If your a healthy weight I really don't understand why you woud be on 1200 anyway, surely you should be on maintenance?

Anyway, the point i'm trying to make is if you eat more, but make the right food choices, you are less likely to binge and end up feeling bad becaude of it. I'm not a huge believer in the mfp figures, i'm 110" and maintaining on 2000 cals plus, even though mfp suggests a lot less.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said..I don't think your TDEE is only 1200..need to re-calcute that.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same with exercise and calories - and its not a healthy feeling is it?

One option I found on here was the olivia method.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/408674-the-olivia-method-the-cool-new-way-to-set-up-your-mfp-go

I won't try and explain it in detail as the post above does that, but instead of setting a calorie target you set up MFP so that the green number shows your calorie deficit you have created. It gives you more of sense of what your body is using - and means that on non exercise days you can eat a little more and see that you are still going to lose weight.

I decided it wash;t for me for various reasons, but I found it fascinating and it seems to work for a lot of people

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on upping calories! I'm sorry to tell you, but with this consistent level of exercise and eating well you are now sort of an athlete--embrace it!

Also, work on giving up on guilt! Perfection is the enemy of the good! I know it's hard--it's taking me until this year to realize that if I "mess up" I just get up tomorrow and do better. It works for me--I wish and hope it could work for everyone.

As for the psychologist thing--I totally know what you mean when you say you don't feel like it's right for you right now. There are times in your life when you realize you have a problem and you can and should probably try to work on it yourself--I love psychologists, and have always told people to seek out counseling with dealing with the slightest of issues--but you have to know yourself!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 your BMR? I am 5'4 and my BMR is 1241-1350 depending on the site. I would suggest changing your goals a bit to slow the weight loss so that you are allowed more calories. I can't do a 1200 calorie diet, even if I eat back my exercise calories. You are probably having cravings and binge because you are restricting yourself so much. My diary is open and you can check it out, or add me if you want support. My calorie goal is 1420 daily and I get to eat back my calories. I am 123 lbs currently and although MFP says I will lose 1/2 a pound a week, I often have left over calories after including my exercise calories. But some days I eat 1700-1800 calories.

Hope that helps!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I actually was discussing something along these lines with a coworker and she mentioned that she had a friend who was engaged to be married. Her friend wanted to lose weight before the wedding and started a year prior to the date. Let's just say she became obsessive to the point where by the time her wedding came around (which almost didn't happen) looked sickly. And the couple didn't last for very long because of this problem. They're just finally coming back together after being separated for several years.
    Be careful what you do and you might want to consider forgetting on tracking your calories maybe just track you food. Be careful, you don't want to be another human with an eating disorder.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I think you are doing great! YOu're not trying to be 90 lbs or something, you just want to look good and feel good and be healthy. GREAT! There is a great book that has helped me with my emotional eating (which was a lot worse than yours due to living with a couple of bipolar relatives ..Mom and sister). "Shrink Yourself" by Dr Roger Gould. Make sure to get the one by him. I think it can help you a lot with feeling you want to binge. Wishing you the best of luck!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I too think that you are doing great and have incorporated a healthy lifestyle successfully. Personally think that if you like the dietician idea it could be extremely helpful to you. I will share that I am 5'1" and the dietician I see and greatly respect told me that I will probably still be at 1200 to 1400 calories for my height and weight when I reach my goal. But I am older than you by many years. She also told me to keep exercising and moving , it's the key!