Recipes to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options
There is a topic californiansun started on how to survive on $40-50 per month on food. Lots of great idea's. Thought it would be nice if we could share some recipes for that as well. Help us all figure out how to use the stuff, maybe get new idea's.

Here is a link to original person's post lots of great ideas on there.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/556548-how-to-survive-on-40-50-dollars-per-month-on-food

I know I spend more then that each month on my family food bill. But if we can give each other idea's on how to maybe eat healthier with out spending alot, isn't that a good thing.

I really hope this thread stay's positive and is found helpful to some.

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Man I spend that weekly on chicken breast alone! I'm going to follow this one, because I'm curious. :)
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Is that $40 for one person?!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    this makes about 14 - 2c servings. Love this with a large salad. Very filling. Here is the general stuff I put in it. You can adjust for yourself and what comes in your area or what you like. But general idea. I put can items listed cause you can always find them. I use fresh though when I can find it. Love fresh better. I also rinse all can beans I use when I use them. And replace their "juice" with plain water. This is just a base you can add lots of different veg and stuff. Some I know add pasta. But if you do don't add to the pan itself (turns to mush) add to the bowls and pour the soup over it. I have made with ground chicken as well and without any meat at all.

I use the EVOO just to brown the turkey in and saute the veg a bit beofre adding everything else. If any of you try it let me know what you think. This also freeze well. Just reheat in pan with water in it.

Caroline (Save A Lot) - Ground Turkey, 12 oz 6
    Wylwood - Grade A Fancy Dark Red Kidney Beans, 1/2 Cup
    Dakota's Pride (Aldi) - Great Northern Beans Canned, 1 cup (130g)
    Mothers Maid - Kidney Beans - Light Red, 1/2 cup
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped
    Garlic - Raw, 2 clove
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Carrots - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Campbell's V8 - Low Sodium Original Vegetable Juice, 11.5 oz
    Happy Harvest - White Distilled Vinegar, 1 Tbsp
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon
    Happy Harvest - Aldi's - Tomato Sauce, 2 cup
    Spices - Oregano, dried, 1 tsp, leaves
    Generic - Green Bell Pepper- Raw, 1 large bell pepper
    Happy Harvest - Aldi(M) - Diced Tomatoes, 1 cup
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Chol
    Total: 1657 177 66 96 4620 240
    Per Serving: 118 13 5 7 330 17
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that can't be true for a family of 5, even with buying in bulk, sale ads or coupons!