To the MFP experts

Options
So I asked this question in another thread, but I don't think anyone saw it. I have heard that as you lose wieght your alotted calories will become less. However, MFP started me at 1200 calories, which I believe is the minimum calories. I am 5"7 and I weighed 180 and now I weigh around 175. I requested that MFP put me at 2 pounds lost per week, but it said that it put me at 1.6 pounds per week. So what will happen as I lose more weight? Will it reduce my calories more? Will I simply lose less weight? Or will I have to reduce my net calories by working out more. I know I am not supposed to eat less 1200. What if I eat 1400 and burn 400 of. That would be eating half of my exercise calories which some people have said is okay?

Sorry I know this is a little long and rambling. I would really appreciate it if some MFP veterans would give me some guidance on this

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    So I asked this question in another thread, but I don't think anyone saw it. I have heard that as you lose wieght your alotted calories will become less. However, MFP started me at 1200 calories, which I believe is the minimum calories. I am 5"7 and I weighed 180 and now I weigh around 175. I requested that MFP put me at 2 pounds lost per week, but it said that it put me at 1.6 pounds per week. So what will happen as I lose more weight? Will it reduce my calories more? Will I simply lose less weight? Or will I have to reduce my net calories by working out more. I know I am not supposed to eat less 1200. What if I eat 1400 and burn 400 of. That would be eating half of my exercise calories which some people have said is okay?

Sorry I know this is a little long and rambling. I would really appreciate it if some MFP veterans would give me some guidance on this

MFP DOES "congratulate" you by taking some of your numbers away every time you lose 10 pounds. I used to HATE that! :laugh:
    Because you don't need to lose that much, you should only be trying for one pound a week.
    MFP WON'T go below 1200 on you, so don't worry about THAT!
    There's a huge debate as to whether or not to eat all your exercise calories, or half, or not eat them at all.
    I've always eaten most of mine, and lost fairly steadily by doing so. (I also mainly exercise to "UP" my numbers, since the 1320 or so I'm allotted just "doesn't cut it" with the way I LOVE food! :laugh: )
    Hope I answered at least SOME of your questions. :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

MFP will never drop you below 1200 calories. You need that many just to sustain you. I eat some of my exercise calories----more if I can feel that I need to eat more, and less if I'm feeling fine without them. I eat very nutrition dense food so everything I eat is sustaining. It has been working for me so far, so I am sticking with what I do. I lost 2-3 pounds a week when i was at my heaviest, but now that I'm in the healthy weight range, the loss has slowed to about one pound a week.

You will get lots of conflicting answers to this question:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    If you're comfortable doing so, I'd suggest changing your goals to .5 lbs a week (you'll get around 400 more cal/day). Doing this allows you more flexibility to adjust downward if that doesn't work for you, but I see no reason to restrict yourself right off the bat if you could lost more weight by eating more (which many people find to be the case.)

Just for the record, I started losing a pound a week when I did this (was stagnant for 3 months!)
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great answers. I really appreciate the guidance. I want to lost 20 to 25 pounds before I reduce my weekly number. I do plan to go .5 pounds per week after that. But I was hoping to keep at 1.5 pounds per week until then.The main reason is that i want to lose weight before I graduate college and have to buy a profesional work wardrobe. Too expensive to buy twice or more.
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks for the great answers. I really appreciate the guidance. I want to lost 20 to 25 pounds before I reduce my weekly number. I do plan to go .5 pounds per week after that. But I was hoping to keep at 1.5 pounds per week until then.The main reason is that i want to lose weight before I graduate college and have to buy a profesional work wardrobe. Too expensive to buy twice or more.

On re-reading what I posted earlier I'm not sure if I explained clearly, but the calorie guidelines MFP sets you up with depending on your goals really vary from person to person; you may need to eat more than 1200 to lose 2 lb/week or not lose at all at that number. Hence it being a good idea to start out eating more so you adjust downward as your body gets more efficient at processing your calories.

Hopefully that clears up a bit! (Probably not, but I tried!)