Chia seeds?

Options
I started incorporating chia seeds into my diet, which has been a huge help so far. Does anyone know any good ways to use them? Mostly I have just been putting them in drinks, but would like to branch out and start using them in my dinner recipes. Thank you! :)

Replies

• saramea
    saramea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What are Chia seeds? How do they help?
  • amandarashell
    Options
    Chia seeds are an anti-oxidant packed little seend. they are really high in fiber and omega 3's. They are kinda a craze where I am from so I assumed everyone would know about them haha. They are really interesting becuase they gel up in water. Apparently it is thought that they do a similar thing in your belly which helps you feel full. I know for sure it helps me feel full!
  • ddrobins1956
    Options
    Wow, that sounds interesting. Do you find them at health food stores?
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle chia & hemp seeds on my cereal, oatmeal & eggs. I have the ground chia seeds right now & they are pretty much tasteless, so I'm sure you could probably sneak them in just about anything.
  • amandarashell
    Options
    I get worried about sprinkling them on my food in case they gel up on food that I do not want that texture. I love the texure in drinks and to thicken soups. Does the ground chia gel?

I got my seeds at a health food store 9 dollars per ounds. and that is A LOT of chia seeds. They are also on amazon for 5lbs for 35 dollars
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The ground chia seeds do not gel, they are pretty powdery & look like ground pepper.
  • amandarashell
    Options
    thats good! I was envisioning jello like food all the time... bleck lol
  • tigjer
    tigjer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I get mine at a bulk food store, they sell them both ground and whole. I have the whole ones because they have less calories. I use mine in my yogurt and oatmeal. Stir them in really well, otherwise they'll just stay at the top. And they suggest 1 tablespoon, but those things are quite a lot at that many, so I only use a teaspoon, that's enough. They say that they're good in bran muffins as well, but I've never seen any recipes around.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    bought some... but not a fan.
  • tarchak4
    tarchak4 Posts: 1
    Options
    i put them in yogurt! or i put them on my peanut butter.
  • autumnparty
    autumnparty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just bought some chia seeds yesterday for the first time and I surprised myself but I really like them. My husband had that look about him that told me it was going to be a unhealthy dinner night so I had a glass of lemon water with chia in it and I ate less supper than I normally would have, was completely satisfied, and stayed that way until I woke up this morning.

This morning I soaked them in orange juice to add to a smoothie and shaved almost 100 calories off my regular morning smoothie, love the texture. On top of saving 100 cals in the prep of my smoothie I have only drank about half of it and I am getting full. This might last me all morning! I'm going to try sticking in the fridge to keep it cold and see if the texture holds up.

I've read that you can substitute chia gel for eggs or fat in baked goods. 1 egg = 1 tsp chia + 2 tsp water, gelled. Or swap half the fat (butter or margarine) for chia gel. Obviously I haven't tried it yet though. I will be adding them to soups, sprinkling them on top of pasta dishes (to keep me full longer), sneaking them into anything I bake so my family can get some of their benefits.
  • tennillewade
    tennillewade Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I put mine in my oatmeal!! makes it thick so you may want to add more water but you don't taste them!
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    bought some... but not a fan.
    Ditto.. I bought some, but they tasted a bit like bird seed. I too would be interested in some recipes. I want the benefts without having to force them into my water!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping, been wanting to try them........thanks
  • roberta65
    roberta65 Posts: 31
    Options
    Chia seeds are the BEST. They are very good for you and the more you get use to them the more ways you will find to incorporate them in your diet. I love chia oatmeal for breakfast, gives me lots of energy for the morning. Try going to pinterest http://pinterest.com/kstephen88/chia/ there are lots of ideas here. i make a gel and keep it in the refrigerator and simply add it to smoothies , use it in baking as the eggs. I could go on and on . The health benefits are amazing.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Chia seeds are the BEST. They are very good for you and the more you get use to them the more ways you will find to incorporate them in your diet. I love chia oatmeal for breakfast, gives me lots of energy for the morning. Try going to pinterest http://pinterest.com/kstephen88/chia/ there are lots of ideas here. i make a gel and keep it in the refrigerator and simply add it to smoothies , use it in baking as the eggs. I could go on and on . The health benefits are amazing.

Thanks for that link - now I just need to find me some chia seeds.
  • roberta65
    roberta65 Posts: 31
    Options
    You can find bulk chia seeds at any health store but if you can check out costco I buy mine there for a really great price
  • camelotss
    camelotss Posts: 55
    Options
    I started incorporating chia seeds into my diet, which has been a huge help so far. Does anyone know any good ways to use them? Mostly I have just been putting them in drinks, but would like to branch out and start using them in my dinner recipes. Thank you! :)

Here's a website with recipes incorporating chia seed. I've just tried the muffins....very good!
    http://www.theyummylife.com/
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I add mine to Greek yogurt. You're right. They definitely do help to keep you full!! I need to start using them in other ways as well.