10 ways to burn off a bottle of red wine (600 cals)

Options

Replies

• sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I find this a pretty sick mentality.

You probably burn somewhere in the ballpark of 2000-3000 calories per day just from your BMR and daily activities. If you put it all in context, that bottle of wine could be "burned off" while you sleep for 5.5 hours.

Agree, but my understanding is that your body processes booze before getting to other calories....so while you are burning off that wine, the steak is turning to fat. :(

Perhaps the moral is to not eat when one drinks?
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all! I'm happy wine is one of my vices.

Cheers :drinker:
  • AdamFaris
    AdamFaris Posts: 10
    Options
    That was my thought exactly. Time to go for a run. The wine is waiting!
    Wait a bottle of wine is only 600 calories? Too bad Im not a fan of wine.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The real calorie burner is actually being able to remain standing while performinjg any of said activities after enjoying the entire bottle!! Drunken Zumba, sounds like a good time :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

You probably burn somewhere in the ballpark of 2000-3000 calories per day just from your BMR and daily activities. If you put it all in context, that bottle of wine could be "burned off" while you sleep for 5.5 hours.

Agree, but my understanding is that your body processes booze before getting to other calories....so while you are burning off that wine, the steak is turning to fat. :(

can't tell if joking. if you're in a calorie deficit, the steak won't store as fat. it will be burned off because you're in calorie deficit.

in other news, water is wet.
  • AdamFaris
    Options
    Per MFP, I burn about 2,200. So if I eat 2,200 AND drink a bottle of wine (2-3 beers is more likely for me, but just rolling with the set-up) I do in fact need to burn more through additional exercise.

I have no idea how you can find counting calories in and out in order to arrive at/maintain a healthy weight as a "sick mentality".

• eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options

That's definitely the moral - eating kills the buzz. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • taso42
    Options

Per MFP, I burn about 2,200. So if I eat 2,200 AND drink a bottle of wine (2-3 beers is more likely for me, but just rolling with the set-up) I do in fact need to burn more through additional exercise.

I have no idea how you can find counting calories in and out in order to arrive at/maintain a healthy weight as a "sick mentality".

It reminds me of exercise bullemia. "I just ate these french fries. I better get on that elliptical for an extra 2 hours tonight!" It's not sustainable. And it's no way to live.

Why not just set up a sustainable lifestyle that includes the occasional bottle of wine within the parameters?
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Six mile walk in 2 hours? EASY AS PIE. I'd better start drinking more wine.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Gascon Malbec is also one of my favorites!
  • AdamFaris
    Options
    But bulimia implies that you are not actually netting the correct # of calories. Because if you throw it up, you never really got it. In this case you presumably keep the wine down in addition to the calories burned during exercise. If I ingest 2800 calories and burn 600 above and beyond BMR, then I am getting within 10 calories of my nutritional needs. That is perfectly healthy.

Your example fails because of the french fries to elliptical ratio. Lets say the FF were 250 calories. I burn that in about 25-30 minutes on an elliptical. If I were to instead attempt to offset with 2 hours plus, clearly that would be unhealthy. I would need to eat more (or exercise less).

Of course there are plenty of other reasons to not drink a bottle of wine per day, but fear of "exercise bulimia" is a lousy one.
    It reminds me of exercise bullemia. "I just ate these french fries. I better get on that elliptical for an extra 2 hours tonight!" It's not sustainable. And it's no way to live.

Why not just set up a sustainable lifestyle that includes the occasional bottle of wine within the parameters?
  • taso42
    Options

But bulimia implies that you are not actually netting the correct # of calories. Because if you throw it up, you never really got it. In this case you presumably keep the wine down in addition to the calories burned during exercise. If I ingest 2800 calories and burn 600 above and beyond BMR, then I am getting within 10 calories of my nutritional needs. That is perfectly healthy.

Your example fails because of the french fries to elliptical ratio. Lets say the FF were 250 calories. I burn that in about 25-30 minutes on an elliptical. If I were to instead attempt to offset with 2 hours plus, clearly that would be unhealthy. I would need to eat more (or exercise less).

Of course there are plenty of other reasons to not drink a bottle of wine per day, but fear of "exercise bulimia" is a lousy one.

I am not advocating against drinking a bottle of wine for fear of exercise bullemia. I am advocating against the mindset of working off unplanned "bad food".

I might be jaded because I've seen it here over and over again. People routinely burning 1000+ calories per day.

It's not a healthy mindset. And yes, that is my opinion

P.S., what's with the top-quoting?
  • AdamFaris
    Options
    I am not advocating against drinking a bottle of wine for fear of exercise bullemia. I am advocating against the mindset of working off unplanned "bad food".

I might be jaded because I've seen it here over and over again. People routinely burning 1000+ calories per day.

It's not a healthy mindset. And yes, that is my opinion

P.S., what's with the top-quoting?

On my browser it doesn't put me any place in particular. I just type at the top. I can bottom quote for you if you'd prefer.

I do agree that doing this routinely is not sustainable and will lead to long-term problems. But there is nothing at all wrong with having an occasional treat and burning it off in a single outing as opposed to over an entire week. If I know I'm going to go meaningfully over my limit (going out for pizza and beer with friends) I will make an effort to go for a run that day to balance it out in advance. If the splurge is significant, I may eat lightly the rest of the day as well instead of using exercise as a 100% offset. It doesn't happen every day (or even every week). But it works well for me as I use it. And it is completely sustainable.

I get that it can be tempting to assume people are going to abuse this approach. But that isn't even remotely the case for all, and therefore that is not an inherent weakness in this approach.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    ...or just eat 600 less calories from other sources.

You're welcome, America.

spock_approves_by_kit_kat1982-d4mr6u1.jpg
  • taso42
    Options
    @AdamFaris i guess we're not really at odds. :drinker:
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options

can't tell if joking. if you're in a calorie deficit, the steak won't store as fat. it will be burned off because you're in calorie deficit.

in other news, water is wet.

Not entirely joking....and not to derail the thread from delicious wine talking... but I've read that the body treats alcohol as a poison and burns it as fuel before turning to other sources. So...if you've got a belly full, the body will burn the alcohol first....which leaves all the food in place waiting to be used up later.

FWIW - http://www.lookcut.com/articles/alcohol-and-weight-loss.html

And now... I'm going back to planning for my later intake. :drinker:

BTW, booze is also wet. You know, in other news and all. :bigsmile:
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I burn off my wine with...12-oz curls. 6 of them.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Insanity for 60 minutes.. I burned 907 doing the "Max Interval Sports Training DVD" according to my HRM. That's a bottle of wine, plus a couple shots of tequila.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    4) Zumba for 2.5 hours.
    I actually burn close to 600 calories doing ONE hour of Zumba, so I think this one's a bit off, but, I get the idea. lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!
    but seriously, you can drink, and eat your face off all you want...
    JUST WORK IT OFF.
    its dam easy!