Does anyone lose wt. eating 1200 calories or less?

Options
I am 35 and wt. 256lbs. I used to eat a lot mostly binge eating. Now That I found a formula that keeps me full 75% of time and cut my creaving down, I can only eat one meal a day and I would not be hungry for the rest of the day. after I joined MFP and starting logging in my meals, my MFP friends start commenting that I am eat to little (I lost 18lbs doing that). so I bumped up my calorie to reach MFP calorie goal. I have not lost a lbs since. I feel like to go back to what I was doing b/c it worked, but I am afraid. Any advice please?

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating now?
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating now?
    1000-1400
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If it worked then do it.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure everyone loses weight eating 1200 calories or less...
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I do!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    yeah, but does anyone get sick doing that. BTW I take my vitamins
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you consistently eat 1200 and lose weight by all means keep doing that! it's only when you plateau or feel terrible that you should increase cals to lose weight or feel better.
  • pravy999
    pravy999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can see the difference after stiking to it after the first month.....its been 3 months now and I can see my weight dropping @ 3-4Kgs/Month.....
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10 in 9 days with less than 1200. I am never hungry. I eat tasty and good food, chicken, veggies, lots of lemon water and my strawberry protein for breakfast. I also try to exercise.
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    Gotta do what works for u. I hardly ever go over 1200, and have lost 70+ in 5 months. But that's not right everybody.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    yeah, but does anyone get sick doing that. BTW I take my vitamins

eating under 1k usually is not healthy at all.. vitamins arent everything you need macronutrients as well.
  • roningt
    roningt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat what ever i can just always challenging myself to eat less and less. Cause fat is the more you lose the lower your calorie cap will fall... Eating to little calories can put your body into a starvation mode and that can cause plateau and stop losing weight... I am not just quoting that i know from experience. My first time around losing weight i could and did on many days do 300-600 or less calories... Its not healthy take it from me. I good number is 1200 i have had days since i started losing weight again that i have went lower than 1200 so i am not perfect either.

My goal now is to hit 1200 then work off as many calories as i can with exercise.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you can do long term. Perso I love the fact that I eat between 1700 and 2000 calories and I still lose fat. If you can stand eating so low and do it the rest of your life or gain the weight back go for it
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    when you up calories it can take weeks before you start losing again. body needs to adjust
  • Kbritske09
    Kbritske09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and wt. 256lbs. I used to eat a lot mostly binge eating. Now That I found a formula that keeps me full 75% of time and cut my creaving down, I can only eat one meal a day and I would not be hungry for the rest of the day. after I joined MFP and starting logging in my meals, my MFP friends start commenting that I am eat to little (I lost 18lbs doing that). so I bumped up my calorie to reach MFP calorie goal. I have not lost a lbs since. I feel like to go back to what I was doing b/c it worked, but I am afraid. Any advice please?

I constantly eat under 1200 calories. I lost 26lbs so far. I am very active and am starting to train for my first half marathon on Sunday. I recently plateaued and took this week off of MFP and decided to not log my food and cut back on my exercise in order to "shock" my body. I do not have cheat meals or cheat days. I have tried this before and for me it does not work. I need a week where I can eat what i want in moderation without feeling guilty. I am getting back into it first thing Sunday morning and i know my weight will start coming off again. Everyone is different. If eating under 1200 calories works for you and you do not feel weak or are not getting sick then by all means go for it. Eating under 1200 calories does not mean you have an eating disorder as some people would say. I constantly get ridiculed for my food diary and I just simply say I know what works for me so please don't judge. Good luck to you and make sure you listen to YOUR mind and body as you know it best.
  • roningt
    roningt Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I constantly eat under 1200 calories. I lost 26lbs so far. I am very active and am starting to train for my first half marathon on Sunday. I recently plateaued and took this week off of MFP and decided to not log my food and cut back on my exercise in order to "shock" my body. I do not have cheat meals or cheat days. I have tried this before and for me it does not work. I need a week where I can eat what i want in moderation without feeling guilty. I am getting back into it first thing Sunday morning and i know my weight will start coming off again. Everyone is different. If eating under 1200 calories works for you and you do not feel weak or are not getting sick then by all means go for it. Eating under 1200 calories does not mean you have an eating disorder as some people would say. I constantly get ridiculed for my food diary and I just simply say I know what works for me so please don't judge. Good luck to you and make sure you listen to YOUR mind and body as you know it best.

LOL yup the good old body jedi mind trick to get that weight loss going again.
  • MisterEdF
    MisterEdF Posts: 5
    Options
    I started out at 256lbs on 3/1/12 and am eating 1350-1400 cals/day as per MFP in 3/meals a day + lots of (good) snacks and as of today have lost 26 lbs. I'm losing around 2lbs per week. I'm a 65 yr old male and am VERY sedentary.

You also need to carefully check the QUANTITY of what you eat. You also should eat 3-4 times a day. One time a day is really not good. I weigh just about everything I prepare as well.

It is possible to eat TOO LITTLE and your body will go into "starvation mode" and you won't lose weight but 1200 cals/day shouldn't do that. You do hit a plateau every once in a while where thing slow down but eventually you catch up.

I also started taking green coffee bean extract (as per Doctor Oz on TV) and that seemed to have sped up my weight loss noticeably. I am not a believer in supplements for weight loss but this really does seem to work.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1200 but I am only at 112.5 lbs. While you can lose on 112 lbs, I'd eat more now so that when you need to drop lower as you get lighter, you have room to drop. If you eat 1200 now, and your body gets used to it, what will you do once you've lost more? Yes, you will still lose, but more slowly I believe than if you work your way down as your body weight drops.
  • Curvy_princess
    Curvy_princess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I started out eating 1000 but have since lowered when I stalled out...I'm eating way less now.
    I pretty much do what I do for me..no one else. I'm losing now and I did when I was doing the 1000 until I stalled. I'd go back to what was working for you just know that at some point down the road you will have to change it up.