Quinoa

Options
I have never eaten or cooked quinoa....what type of taste/texture does it have? Whats the best way to cook it and what does it go best with?

Replies

• karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    yummy! sort of like cooscoos.. i have cooked it in broth for a chicken flavor.. put it in soup (instead of chicken and rice, chicken and quinoa, and stuffed tomatos with it.. ) like with any pasta or rice.. you can change the flavor by changing the liquid you cook it in..
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    It is yummy. It has a light nutty flavor. I put it in stuffed peppers, on salads, eat it plain like rice, and I occasionally make it for breakfast like you would make oatmeal. It is high in protein and one of my favorites now. Try it!
  • Lalee975
    Lalee975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can also sweeten/flavor it like you would oatmeal and have it for breakfast.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas just bought my 1st box the other day.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Any certain brand that I need to use? Or is it pretty much just generic?
  • cmoul001
    cmoul001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! It's kind of like couscous in that it's flavorless on its own. You can add anything to it and it tastes amazing! It's like rice too in that you boil it in an exact measurement of water... cooked properly, it will absorb all the water and be done cooking when the water has either been absorbed or steamed off. I think it's 1 part quinoa to 3 parts water if I recall correctly but it will say on the box. It's so versatile... I've used it as a side dish usually, but it was also an ingredient in cranberry almond cookies I made about a month ago and tasted great! Epicurious has some good recipes for it. It's a whole grain that also contains protein, so it is very filling. Yum!
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Its wonderful stuff! Like others have said before, I has a light nutty flavor... I just put half cup into a cup of boiling water, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the water is gone.... serve it like you would rice.

I also make bread out of it... I will post the recipe later.

SilMarillion.
  • pandurbear77
    pandurbear77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its amazing with black bean and salsa for a quick meal or add some bell pepper, mushrooms and onions if you have more time to cook!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite grains!! So yummy. I use it to make a gluten free tabbouleh. I also like it in a lot of Latin dishes because it is a Latin American grain. But the way I enjoy it the most is in a cold grain salad -- I use chopped onions, parsley, citrus juice and some broth, lightly sauteed vegetables (whatever's handy), and some diced dried fruit. Awesome in the summer.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I just made this soup and served it over quinoa. Awesome

http://www.veganrunningmom.com/post/23019559600/yellow-split-pea-soup

EDIT: note that the second "garlic" is supposed to be "ginger" :)
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Check out this recipe....
    I do it without the bun so the calories are MUCH lower.... and i add corn and cumin and mexican chili pepper spice..
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/black-bean-quinoa-burgers/

EDIT... serve burgers with lettuce, salsa and avocado :)
  • khawkin
    khawkin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can also sweeten/flavor it like you would oatmeal and have it for breakfast.

I love it for breakfast. Mix cooked quinoa with cinnamon, almond milk, & a little stevia :D
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • lfm1968
    lfm1968 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Black Bean and Quinoa -- go to all recipes.com and search that. Super yummy! I eat it room temp for lunch.
  • tnqnt
    Options

I love it for breakfast. Mix cooked quinoa with cinnamon, almond milk, & a little stevia :D

Interesting .... does it work well with sweet flavoring? Sounds YUMMY!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    double post. meant to edit.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Any certain brand that I need to use? Or is it pretty much just generic?

I use Bob's Red Mill - Organic Whole Grain Quinoa, but I'm sure they are all the same... just go organic.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    ...and rinse it first.... always rinse it because it has a coating on it which is bitter if not rinsed... :)