post workout recovery drink

Options
Hi,

I workout early 6 am - and I usually eat a few almonds to get me going. I normally am not tired during the workout.

After the workout I have been drinking a whey protein isolate (30 grams of protein) shake with a cup of 1% milk and 1/2 cup of water.

I just read something that I should actually not be taking a lot of protein after the workout, but rather more carbs a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. I am looking for some bigger gains over the next 90 days. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Should I stay with the whey protein isolate after the workout ? or Look for a recovery drink with more carbs and lower protein?

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I workout early 6 am - and I usually eat a few almonds to get me going. I normally am not tired during the workout.

After the workout I have been drinking a whey protein isolate (30 grams of protein) shake with a cup of 1% milk and 1/2 cup of water.

I just read something that I should actually not be taking a lot of protein after the workout, but rather more carbs a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. I am looking for some bigger gains over the next 90 days. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Should I stay with the whey protein isolate after the workout ? or Look for a recovery drink with more carbs and lower protein?

" the most important thing to nail is your macro targets for the day. The shuffling around of the macronutrients relative to the training bout pales in comparison to the importance of hitting your totals. In my observations, the body tends to be amazingly good at neutralizing differential placement effects of the macros within the day. Interestingly, the hope and promise of micromanaging your placement of nutrients relative to the training bout has not proven to be a reliable tactic in research examining longer-term effects (as opposed to acute research that looks at immediate effects). Now, for competitive endurance athletes, nutrient timing can be important if there's more than one glycogen-depleting training bout in a day. For other goals, it's all about nailing your total macros for the day. "

~Alan Aragon
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ Huh?!?!
  • mppm1
    mppm1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to believe, a lot of people think they need to get 30+ grams of protein as soon as possible after a workout for max absorption etc but it's not needed.

Timing doesn't matter - hit your macros for the day, train hard and you will get your results.