no running

Options
MNchick
MNchick Posts: 371 Member
So...I went to the doctor today and he told me I can't run for at least 3 weeks.

I started training in January for a half marathon. Throughout my training, I ran into issues with my IT bands tightening up. I made sure to stretch after the run, was getting athletic massages every 2-3 weeks (pretty awesome to have a masseuse live across the street!) and enjoyed my epsom salt baths.

The half marathon went well. I finished in 2:47:27...and I hope to run another in the fall and break 2:30:00.

I took the day after the half marathon off and returned to work on Tuesday, and found out that we had a mandatory 'fun run' 5K on Wednesday morning. I show up, try to run (they were running between a 9:00-10:00/mile, which was much faster than what I had been running for my training) and I end up falling behind, but run the whole thing. Since then my left IT band was SO tight as well as my left hamstring. I tried ice, heat and rested for a week...tried to run this past Wednesday and it hurt, so I did a 3.75 mile walk instead.

Now that I have been ordered to NOT run for at least 3 weeks, I'm looking for suggestions/ideas from other people that have been in the same situation so that I don't end up losing the progress (weight wise) I've made since January!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _Triple_S_
    _Triple_S_ Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I dont have the same situation, but I've always heard water workouts are the way to go when you have injuries that keep you from doing your normal exercise...WATER AEROBICS here comes MNCHICK...
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Idk if you're a member of a gym or anything, but I find that the elliptical is good for me when I'm having knee problems because it's easier on my joints. Maybe it would be the same for your problem?
  • MNchick
    Options
    I dont have the same situation, but I've always heard water workouts are the way to go when you have injuries that keep you from doing your normal exercise...WATER AEROBICS here comes MNCHICK...

good thing i bought a house with a pool?

Is there a way to not look like the 80 year old women at the Y when I do water aerobics?? I'm single and don't want to stay that way forever...
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've heard LOTS of people say that elliptical helps keep up your cardio without straining your legs. I cycled when I was having problems with my knee, but honestly my best suggestion is yoga. I do bikram now and feel that it helps stretch everything out to help my running.
  • MNchick
    Options
    Idk if you're a member of a gym or anything, but I find that the elliptical is good for me when I'm having knee problems because it's easier on my joints. Maybe it would be the same for your problem?

I had canceled my gym membership after buying a treadmill for my house, but that may be an option. The Y will let me pay for one month at a time
  • MNchick
    Options
    I've heard LOTS of people say that elliptical helps keep up your cardio without straining your legs. I cycled when I was having problems with my knee, but honestly my best suggestion is yoga. I do bikram now and feel that it helps stretch everything out to help my running.

great suggestion, I'll look into it!
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation at the beginning of April and am still recovering. Those were the toughest three weeks I went through in a LONG time! I coped with it by going to a chiropractor who effectively treated the pain, doing a lot of biking, which didn't hurt much, and spending the time when I otherwise would have been running looking up delicious new veggie recipes on the internet to help myself stay within 1200 calories per day. You'll get through this, and if you're like me, you'll be able to pick up your half marathon training pretty well again after the three weeks. I ran a half marathon just one week after starting my running again after my injury.
  • MNchick
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation at the beginning of April and am still recovering. Those were the toughest three weeks I went through in a LONG time! I coped with it by going to a chiropractor who effectively treated the pain, doing a lot of biking, which didn't hurt much, and spending the time when I otherwise would have been running looking up delicious new veggie recipes on the internet to help myself stay within 1200 calories per day. You'll get through this, and if you're like me, you'll be able to pick up your half marathon training pretty well again after the three weeks. I ran a half marathon just one week after starting my running again after my injury.

That's good to hear! My friend, Ami, was the one to tell me to GO TO THE DOCTOR! She had suffered IT band pain last year and DIDN'T rest it and now suffers from ongoing issues because of it. I had told her about trying heat, ice, soaking, massage and a week of rest and was adamant about a longer rest period.

I think the biggest hit is going to be that my weight loss is going to stall :( I need to wrap my brain around it and carry on
  • sonny368
    sonny368 Posts: 61
    Options
    I know it sucks...but I agree with one of the MFP member, try yoga for the knee, and put some anti-inflammatory gel on it, ice isn't sufficient when you have a trauma, no way !!!!
    Then...stay controlled with the food, I know that you might get bored because of the no exercise but I think you can still drop if you reduce half your portion of carbs that you're actually eating, don't raise the amount of fruit as substitution though, otherwise is useless, it's always sugar...