Polar HRM, is this the right one?

Options
I've been looking into getting an HRM for a while. After researching quite a bit, it seems that the Polars are the favourites.

I've been looking on the website. I want one that tracks calories, most importantly. The only ones that I found were the Polar FA20 and the Polar FT40.

Does anyone know which one is better? I'd love your advice and comments on your experiences with them!

Also... it appears to be like a wristwatch. I always thought they were supposed to strap to your arm or chest. Is this the right thing?

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it. Sorry I don't know the difference between those two. Mine came with a chest strap - and then the watch thing is where you see the information.
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40. It has a chest strap with sensors which is where your heart rate is monitored, and then a transmitter sends the info to the wrist watch component for you to read. I can't say which is better as I have no experience with the other one, but mine does what it is supposed to do.

I will admit that I've been a bit frustrated with it recently though as I feel it isn't reporting accurately, but it may be. I've had it for about a month now, and for the 30DS, my average calorie burn has always been mid 200s and up, then this week I can't break out of the 100s even though I feel as though I'm working just as hard. It is saying my heart rate is also lower, which is where the lower cals are coming from. Although my heart rate doesn't get as high as it had, the average is only lower by a few beats, and I haven't changed any settings. And I did Zumba for the first time last night, which everyone says you should burn around 700 cals/hour - my hrm said I burned 330. Granted, it was my first time so I was more or less flailing around, but come on! I was sweating my a*# off.

But like I said, it is doing what it is supposed to, and I can't fault the readings just because they don't match what I think they should, or what they did just one week ago.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The FT4 says "Displays calories burned" at http://www.polar.fi/en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4 as does the FT7

The FT40 seems to offer coaching advice as well http://www.polar.fi/en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT40

FA20 seems more aimed at 24h monitoring than exercise sessions
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am searching myself. There are many Polar HRM's that track calories. If you go to the Polar website they have a tool that asks questions about your needs/desires in a HRM then shows you which of their models fit that need. Then you can examine the selections in more detail and make your choice.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have an basic older model Polar (I've had at least three). I use it to track my heart rate, not to calculate calories, because an accurate calorie burn estimate involves much more than how hard the heart is working and other basic details like height, weight, and age. On this forum I've read that the newer Polars track additional information to estimate calories. You can try them, but I'd still be wary.

It's a great tool for measuring heart effort, and while doing intervals.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    FT4 and FT7 both track calories too. I have the 7 and love it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have the FT60 and Love it... I went with this one over the FT4 and 7 do to the fact it was the first one in the series ahead of the FT80 that allowed you to set your V02 Max (an added feature that will allow for a more accurate calorie burn) it can be set auto or you can get your V02 Max and set it manually.... I got mine off heartratemonitorusa.com for 130 bucks.... All the Polars are great this one was just my preference for the features I was looking for.... Best of Luck...
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4. Pretty basic but works great. The main reason I got it is to track my calories! I didn't need any "bells and whistles". I have been very happy with it. A HRM is a very good investment. Before getting my watch I was overestimating the calories I burned - not good.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I also have the FT60 and love it. I had the FT7 first, but returned it because the FT60 has a built in fitness test and training program. Look at Bodytronics.com for cheap prices.. and also entering the code POPO will save you an additional 5%.

Looking at the polar website it would appear that the FA20 tracks calories over a 24 hour period, I don't know how well it would track exercise however, since it doesn't come with the chest strap like FT40 to track heart rate.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Never heard of those, but I have the Polar FT7 and love it! I had one problem with the chest strap, but the customer service was awesome and sent me a new one within days, for free!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it.
    You must remember to reset your user information as you lose weight or the 'calories burned' information will be incorrect.
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in the minority here. I have a Polar FT4. I bought in February. It worked great for about a month, then it started going all wacky.

Sometimes it says my HR is over 200, and sometimes it says 37 or so. Most of the time it says 00, check transmitter! I have tried all things with the strap, water, rinsing, gel. It frustrates me so much that I don't bother using it anymore.

Just be warned that they do malfunction occasionally. With my luck, maybe I just got a bad one.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    hi, i have an ft4 its very good and very simple. Does time, calories, heart rate, perfect for any kind of run ning.

Good luck.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    FT4 is what i have and i ♥ it. it's easy to use and doesn't have SOOOO many options that it confuses you.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in the minority here. I have a Polar FT4. I bought in February. It worked great for about a month, then it started going all wacky.

Sometimes it says my HR is over 200, and sometimes it says 37 or so. Most of the time it says 00, check transmitter! I have tried all things with the strap, water, rinsing, gel. It frustrates me so much that I don't bother using it anymore.

Just be warned that they do malfunction occasionally. With my luck, maybe I just got a bad one.

make sure you're getting the strap and transmitter thoroughly wet. i run mine under water before putting it on. if it's only damp or too dry, it will often stop reading.
  • SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I love it! I feel that it calculates the calories accurately. I recommend it!
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just bought the FT4 and love it so far. Simple to use and definitely motivates you to work harder and burn more.
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options

make sure you're getting the strap and transmitter thoroughly wet. i run mine under water before putting it on. if it's only damp or too dry, it will often stop reading.

Um yeah, I have of course tried that per the directions! Thank you for your input though!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I own the FT40 model. it has a fitness test which you can take to give your V02 max.