Cardio for arms?

Options
Does anyone know some good cardio exercises you can do at home that help you lose fat from your arms?

Thank you!

xoxo
Helena

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no such thing as spot reducing. Cardio will help you reduce your overall % of body fat which, when your body feels like it, will reduce the amount of fat in your arms (it's different for everybody - my fat loss, initially, was face and arms). Strength training, however, may be an option to consider as it will add some definition which may make your arms look better (again, it won't make any fat go away)
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Any cardio will help - I like the cross trainer as my heart rate gets up quickly and you can use your arms to pump it faster.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Strength training rather than cardio. It may not make fat 'go away' but you'll burn more and your arms will gain a leaner defined look. Cardio doesn't spot burn,but weight training will tone and build muscle :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Agree on the strength training.

Do cardio to help your heart and lungs and burn calories. Strength train to shape your body.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    As the other said, you need to reduce weight overall. Strength training may help, but if you have a lot of fat in your arms, I would do an upper body program that does not cause hypertrophy because your arms will only look bigger. I do a program that involves doing four to five sets of five reps for each exercise.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps. Great arm workout. Cannot be done at home though, LOL. Need to read more closely. A rowing machine might help or possibly simple weight training as others have suggested. However, as someone also mentioned, you cannot lose fat from a specific area but it will help to tone and shape your arms.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce but more cardio--all cardio--means less overall body fat. You can Do strength exercising that will give your arms better muscle definition. Kickbacks, bench presses, triceps extensions all help. Same for chair dips and pushups. You can do those anywhere. If you can't do real pushups do knee pushups or pushups against a table or couch. Do sets of 4 and try to do more on the last set every time you do them. The more you develop triceps, the less of that arm sag.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    As others have said, spot reducing doesnt work but the Rower and Elliptical with the moveable arms I have found give a great arm workout. Adjustment the resistance really creates an intense workout.
  • Theresastratton
    Options
    Push ups!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Well, cardio in general helps burn fat, you need to strengthen. Weight lifting will help, 2x a week bench press and bicep curls. And you wont get "bulky" that's an excuse most women use. Its too hard for women to get "bulky". Plus it help you burn more fat ALL over. But since you need to do it at home, then push ups are wonderful and burn a lot of fat too, also if you use little weights and work up to like 10-20 pounds. I do more exercises that I can't explain how to describe them, so look up some on youtube! But I would try to get to a gym and do strength training if you can...
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do the elliptical every so often and with that your moving you arms too, and I feel it in my arms. maybe that will help?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you can't tell your body what part of it needs to lose fat..cause its not going to listen. Your body burns fat in the order it wants to...you just have to keep at it and eventually you will start losing in the area you want. you can build muscle in your arms though by adding some weight exercises.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Ah getting rid of granny fat.. Those dangly bits that hang from under the arms. Yes, I am almost done with those. I no longer wear shirts with sleeves and it's all thanks to weight/strength training.

Using those weights to build up the muscles in the arms will allow for the muscle to do it's job and eat away at the fat.. yeah i'm no scientist, but i do know that when I work out my arms I am more defined and it reduces the fat in that area. Right, no such thing as spot weight loss.. i get it, but work out your arms with weights and you will reduce the size of your arms.

it works. good luck.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    Do more punches during your cardio workouts and then at the end, add bi-cep curls, tri-cep curls. Make a schedule of sets for yourself (w/ or w/o weights). Lift them up fast and let them down slow; but be in control.

Denise Austin has a great DVD that does resistance at home. Love it!
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You can't do it at home, unless you have a pool, but swimming is a great arm exercise. My arms are exhausted after 50 min of breast stroke. Good luck!
  • helly_zg
    helly_zg Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you guys for your help! :))