Exercise Calories...important?

Options
Ok peeps, I have a question. I have read so many different views on this, but I'm still conflicted. It is so hard for me to grasp the concept of 'eat to lose'. So I carefully stick to my caloric limits, and very rarely even eat close to my limit. When I do exercise, I do not normally eat those calories back. I noticed a quick drop in weight my first week, which I expected. But that week, I ate almost all of my calories and drank about 120 oz of water a day. Since then, I haven't been that hungry, hence not coming close to my calorie goal. And the weight loss has slowed. I do make sure I eat more than 1200 calories a day. Is it really that important to eat the calories the site recommends? Or should I jes stick to what I'm doing, since I am still losing, jes slowly.

Replies

• Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Jes bumping for answers :)
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    That's a very tough question. There are a lot of factors that could contribute to fast weight loss, slow weight loss and no weight loss. It's hard to pin point the reasons all the time especially since our bodies tend to take time to catch up to any changes we make. I personally eat most of my exercise points to make sure my body is fueled properly (and I am on a mission to increase metabolism and eat more while maintaining and/or losing by eating more because I took my calories far too low for too long and as a result couldnt lose any more weight. I went to starvation mode.) Besides, MFP has already set a number for you to eat to lose 1-2 lbs a week WITHOUT ANY physical activity so technically eating under that number is not reccomended. 1-2 lbs a week is healthy and more likely to be kept off.

If you are nervous about eating your exercise calories maybe you could try eating them every other day for 2 weeks and see what happens. Then you are esentially only eating half of your exercise calories.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    P.S. It took almost 2 weeks, but after GAINING 3.5 lbs eating BELOW OR AT my calories without exercise calories (approximately 300-400 every other day) I eat my exercise calories and have started to lose weight again. I really think it was important for me to eat those calories so I suggest giving it a good try
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of it as "eating more." Think of it as "eating the RIGHT amount."

I know everyone gets drilled into their head from an early age "eat less, move more." And we think that the less we eat, the faster we'll lose, but it doesn't always work that way in real life, especially since severe calorie restriction is hard to stick to for a long time. Even if we feel "full" enough, our bodies still aren't getting what they need.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Its normal to lose more in the first week or so, so don;t panic. I think it is important to eat enough to fuel your body properly. After all we are basically machines and to run at our best potential we need the right amount and type of fuel.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I second the other posters...you must eat to lose. sure, in the short term you may see the #s drop, but you are only doing long-term damage if you do not fuel your body the proper way. I've been through this struggle and feel your pain. but, it's true what they way, eat to lose :smile:
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ok, sounds like I need t pick up the calorie count, and try to eat as close to my target calorie goal as I can. I will def try the idea of eating exercise calories every other day. Thanks for taking time to answer!!!
  • lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - it's important to eat in order to lose weight. However, my personal trainer also stresses the importance of eating the CORRECT foods - as in, no junk foods. (Much easier said than done, trust me!) Because he knows my workouts, he has me eating 1800 - 2000 calories daily, and not less than 1700.