Bob Harpers eating advice

Options
2»

Replies

• lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did buy the book and what is interesting is I already follow so many of his rules!! I eat between 30 to 50 g of fiber a day. I eat protein at every meal. I drink water first thing in the morning.....really....the first thing!! BUT there are so many that I did think was kind of crazy....like going to bed hungry and not eating carbs after lunch (as I sit here eating popcorn at 10 pm).....I have been successful at losing weight and doing my best at keeping it off! I LOVE his workouts but not so sure about his diet advice! And yes, white potatos have their place and should not be ignored....and I still love my splenda!! LOL!!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just follow my dietician's advice as it has been working for me so far. I like Bob and always watch Biggest Loser. But in saying that when I decided to change my lifestyle, the first thing I said to my dietician is I want to be able to eat foods I like or I'll never be able to do this. I cannot totally eliminate certain foods. I've made a lot of changes, added fruits and veggies, etc. It seems to be working for me and it is something I can continue doing after I reach my goal.

This is perfect!! You have to be able to eat the foods you enjoy in order for you to lose weight and keep it off!! You go girl!!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I used to respect what he had to say, but now he seems to be heading into the Dr Oz abyss of insanity.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I guess I disagree with the no potato rule. I say eat your potato within reason(obviously) if you can fit them in calorie wise. . . . eat them! Potatoes have many good minerals in them and they are from the good earth so they certainly can't be all that bad . . . . right!?!?!?!?
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    One guy ate 20 potatoes a day as a test, and nothing else, and he did fine.

http://www.20potatoesaday.com/
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'm sure his concern is about the GI (glycemic index) of white potaotes. They cause a spike in your blood sugar, a lot of white carbs like bread do too.

Harper is an idiot.

Unless you happen to be a diabetic who consumes a high carb, hypercaloric diet, GI has no relevance whatsoever.

http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

And even then that rule doesn't apply to all... I am a type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) I have since lost over 300 lbs. and started back then consuming 240 grams of carbs a day and now avg. 340 grams a day and my A1c have been hovering around 5.3 the last year and I am off all diabetes meds except metformin.... Would not dream of giving up my Multi-grain bread or Idaho Potatoes or anything else.... What I did give up was all the extreme processed foods Oreo's, Doritoes, etc, etc... And have never looked back... Still like Bob but he is really out there with these rules....
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Oh what I don't understand is, that he doesn't want people to eat potatoes in any way. The good old plain boiled potatoe (of course no fried potatoe, mashed potatoe, chips......) can't be that bad, can it? It taste pretty good together with fish.

The South Beach plan doesn't allow potatoes because they can raise your blood sugar just like white flour does which can then cause hunger and sweet/starch cravings. Sweet potatoes are ok in limited quantities.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    So I shouldn't have had half a baked potato with skin alongside my venison roast tonight?

Oh well. I like potatoes, don't eat them that often since we eat sweet potatoes more often.