Size WHAT???? (long-ish but triumphant!)

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
I went to the local Wal-Mart for just a few things, not clothes related, but since it was quiet at that time of night (late), I decided to see what they had in shorts, because I need shorts. Mine are way too big now (VBG) and also are wearing out badly.

Didn't like a lot of what they had but did pick up a couple of Danskin workout shorts with pockets. Fine.

A skirt caught my eye - Norma something or other skirt. I picked it up. It was a size 8. I spread it out a bit and thought, "That's an awfully big size 8 - I might fit into that." So I took it AND a size 10, which generally is snug but comfy, to the dressing room, with a shirt about size 12/14 (I'm bigger up top so that size would still look okay).

Tried on the set, first with skirt that was an 8, not at all expecting it to fit. OMG! It fit - comfortably! The only thing is that it's above the knees and I don't have pretty knees. They're scarred and miserable looking. But that can be remedied with hosiery I'm sure. I hope.

I bought the skirt and blouse. Then, that night, when I got home, I looked up the designer and emailed the website to ask if this was an American 8 or a European 8 or something that was QUITE a proper 8.

The lady- the actual designer - answered the email and said it's an American 8. Then she asked me for my height and weight to give advice on sizes. I emailed back and said I had already tried on and bought a skirt at Wal-Mart but knowing that sizes are "enlarging" to meet demand, I wanted to know if the skirt was a TRUE 8 or an enlarged 8. Then went on to tell her about the forty pounds I'd already lost, and that this was the first time I'd fit into an 8. Even as a teen, I generally wore 9 and that's when I was at the height of my dancing days - I was underweight, but a size 9!!

She emailed back with "Congratulations! You are now a true size 8!" Sweet, isn't it?

But that's still a "size WHAT???" because I still see the tummy and the rolls in my mid-riff and the bust that's still in the D range (I was a B as a teen and young adult, before I gained all that weight).

THEN, (it gets better), I tried on some clothes I'd bought while on holiday earlier this year, that were kinda small-ish but could be got into. One shirt I bought that, later, I actually could NOT get into comfortably, so it's sat in the closet since December. They all fit. One was actually a bit loose!

FINALLY, here's the kicker - last year when I was about 30 pounds heavier, I'd had to buy an "under-top" (visible with a matching over-top) in a size small. When wearing it, it literally suffocated my bod, rode up because it WAS so small, but was hidden by a larger "over-top" so it didn't matter. It fits beautifully. Don't even NEED the bra with it - it has a bra shelf that I had had to WEAR a bra with. I moved around in it and nothing went out of place *coughs politely* if you get my drift.

That explains one other thing that happened...I bought a tutu for my trip to a dance intensive. I'm intending to do a photo shoot, if I can make myself look good enough (both face and size). The thing was cheap but a "small." I tried it on in the store and it fit, with just a bit of "bat-wing" (not related to fat but to bust - how can I deal with THAT aspect!!?). It's rather a bright color so I'm not sure I'll use it but to be able to comfortably get into a SMALL is amazing!!

So, that's my success story. The scale is still at 154, 9 pounds away from the top of my weight range, but the size "appears" to be smaller than I was when I was dancing full time as a teen and young adult. YET, the picture in the mirror and the "bat-wings" that appear when I wear tight things up top tell me that I'm not really as thin as I was back then.

Isn't that odd?

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Great:flowerforyou: and yea tis was extremely long almost fell asleep but it was interesting:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    wow, that must feel so good.

i like how the designer actually emailed you back and congratulated you!!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Great:flowerforyou: and yea tis was extremely long almost fell asleep but it was interesting:laugh: :flowerforyou:

ROFLMAO! True...I do tend to get wordy....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!