Does BMI mean crap in terms of health?

Options
13»

Replies

• misao1994
    misao1994 Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't like the BMI because it's an over generalization. Every one has different muscle masses and lean mass and fat mass and the BMI doesn't take that into account. Like, I currently am classified as "obese" on the BMI scale because of my weight and height, but I'm still half the size of others who are same weight/height ratio. It doesn't take into account I have a lot of muscle mass. It's safe to say I don't listen to the BMI haha.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 19.9.

If I were to stand next to you in the same outfit, I would look overweight in comparison.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just finished a nutrition class and the only thing BMI tell you is how much fat you have. It isn't a good source of information for muscular athletes, ederly, children or pregnent women. BMI does not take into consideration how much muscle you have. So you could have a high BMI but really be ok if you are an athlete.
    It gives you a general guesstimate of body fate based on a height/weight (and sometimes age/gender) formula.
    It's a general ballpark guess.

That said: I doubt someone who's been battling anorexia is somehow healthier than their BMI number suggests, given the havoc eating disorders wreak on the human body.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    hey honey , i completely agree with you - mines 17.9 and my thighs and *kitten* are literally comparable to Nicki Minaj's - Underweight my *kitten* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to see what they call an obese person if they think I'm underweight. Seriously. BMI means **** to me !

I'm sorry to say this, but if that is you in your profile picture I think you are underweight. Your hip bones stick out and there is no way you have a figure comparable to Nikki Minaj. I'm not trying to be harsh but it concerns me that someone as small as you wants to lose weight. I think you need to put weight on and build muscle to achieve your goal of looking fit and sexy.

@paulaviki you took the words right outa my mouth!

Sweetheart there is no way your body bears any resemblance to Ms Minaj and I do wonder what you consider to be 'obese'? Going by what you said I shouldn't wonder that you think I come under that category.
    If you aren't already then I really do think you need to talk to someone about your view of your body/weight because I can assure you that what you see is not what anybody else see's. Good luck and take care. :flowerforyou:
    If that's her in the photo then I'd say her waist is closer to Minaj's thighs.

If that! Bless her soul. :frown:
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't like BMI as an indicator of "healthiness," either. My fitness mentor, who teaches fitness 4+ hours per day, 6 days per week, has a BMI that falls in the "overweight" category. So do I, and I teach fitness 4 hours per week, exercise an additional 2-4 hours per week, walk everywhere, and eat like a rockstar. I think BMI is just a result of math and doesn't mean much for people.

As for your ED, good for you on your progress. Keep it up!!! I think most people have some form of disordered eating/disordered relationship with food. So I kind of think people should focus on themselves rather than trying to convince a thin woman, who admits to having had an eating disorder, what she should be doing. Sorry for the frankness...
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think BMI can be crap when it comes to being overweight or obese (like if they don't take into account a females boobs, or muscle on a body builder) , but it's pretty dangerous when it comes to being underweight.

When I had surgery several months ago and couldn't eat in the hospital for weeks, I went down to 107 at 5'4. It basically falls into the underweight category. I felt like ****, I had no boobs and my hip bones were sticking out, I felt like a boy.

Now, I'm back to my normal weight which is around 118-120, which is a BMI of 20.4-20.6 and I feel great and look so much healthier and feel healthier.

I know everyone is different, but I think underweight is a major health risk.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    BMI is a guideline for determining proper weight based on your height. If your over 30 then you are obese, Overweight is 25 to 29.9. Normal weight is 18.5 to 24.9. Below 18.5 is underweight. My proper weight is borderline overweight. That does not make it wrong to use as a tool, I am currently trying to get down to 30 BMI. That would be a great accomplishment for me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    As one standard of many, yes, but as it stands along?
    NO WAY!
    It's worthless.
    I used BMI to give me an idea of a range of weight I might want to strive toward.
    I also check body fat, belly measurement and have a complete physical twice each year.
    Health and peak fitness is part weight and a bunch of other variables combined.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    I just finished a nutrition class and the only thing BMI tell you is how much fat you have. It isn't a good source of information for muscular athletes, ederly, children or pregnent women. BMI does not take into consideration how much muscle you have. So you could have a high BMI but really be ok if you are an athlete.
    It gives you a general guesstimate of body fate based on a height/weight (and sometimes age/gender) formula.

That said: I doubt someone who's been battling anorexia is somehow healthier than their BMI number suggests, given the havoc eating disorders wreak on the human body.
    ^^^^^^^
    No, it's got NOTHING to do with body fat.
    That's part of the problem with BMI.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    You're right. It's body mass. Don't let me post before coffee please.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Does BMI mean crap in terms of health? welll duhhhh if BMI stands for bowel movement index its the art of measuring turds longer it is the healthier you are gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd do i have to explain everything????/
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You are right. It is more of a general measure than anything else.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

^^^^^^^
    You're right. It's body mass. Don't let me post before coffee please.
    I wish somebody would come out with something definitive that incorporated several of these factors.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I used BMI as a way to set a general goal weight. Whether I'll actually be able to get there remains to be seen but if I get anywhere close to there, I'll be happy. :D
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Since I've been bulking up I've noticed that my BMI has gone from a healthy 22 right up to 26. BMI is a very basic measurement for the average person. Athletes and those with above average muscle mass (as I understand it) get widely differing BMI's. Best go with your Body Fat % which is usually measured with a skin fold calliper.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    I don't consider BMI a valid measuring stick. I'm 6'6", and to get right in the middle of what's considered a "normal weight" according to BMI, I'd weigh 189 pounds. I was just below that weight in high school (at the same height) and was skinny as a stick with visible ribs, protruding collarbones and arms like pencils. I got down to 212 pounds about 12 years ago (which put me at a BMI of 24.5 - toward the high end of "normal weight") and had friends asking me if I was sick.

My current goal is to end up around 220 pounds at 14-15% BF (which will put my BMI at 25.4 - just into the "overweight" category) and assess from there.