Whole Eggs VS Egg Whites

Options

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Obviously, if you eat just the white, you're going to consume less calories, and lowering your calorie intake is what makes you lose weight, but the yolk is where all the nutrients are. This is what I do, when I fry up an egg sunnyside up: with your fork, carefully cut the white around the yolk. Make sure you don't puncture it. Now eat just the white part. Next take your spoon and carefully scoop up the yolk. Take care that you don't break the yolk, because you don't want to get it all over your plate. Now toss it quickly into your mouth and pop it like a big yellow zit. Mmm hmm now that's how you eat an egg.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think egg yolks taste nasty when they are cooked. The texture irks me. I do put 1 whole egg in my omlettes though. 4 egg white 1 whole. I can't taste it that way. I do however, love my eggs over easy. <3 Its like a hug for my belly.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Soooooooooooooooooooooo....

Eggs are my arch nemesis. They are SO HEALTHY but SO GROSS.

Can you eat a whole egg as scrambled and still reap the benefits? Please enlighten me!!!!!! I LOVE scrambled eggs ... every other way makes me gag like none other. I can't even eat deviled eggs. :frown:
  • KeKy4
    KeKy4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, there's def more nutrition in whole eggs but more calories, fats, etc too! If I'm not really hungry I may eat just 2 whole eggs. If I'm really hungry I'll do 1-2 whole eggs then add 2-3 egg whites for bulk! Throw some hot sauce on it! Yum!
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole damn thing!

:laugh: :wink:
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love a whole egg! But, I have found, as I am trying to pay closer attention to my macros that if I use whole eggs all the time, my fat goes up too much. So I usually use 1 whole and 2 whites for breakfast, and then egg whites in my lunch and snack. That gets me the protein w/o the fat that I need, but still some of the yolky goodness. My biggest hurdle I had to overcome was the idea of 'wasting' the yolk. But now, I don't look at it like that. I'm just using the part I need.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg (2 a day). I also eat coconut oil. SO, I am eating a lot of fat and oddly enough have lost 14lbs doing that!!

Now my husband eats 5 egg whites per day and I tried to tell him to eat the whole thing, but he has high cholesterol in his family, so he is afraid to do it. I understand, so no pressure! Plus the cats do not mind the egg yolks!! But I eat it ALL!!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat both. Usually 1 egg with 1/3 cup of whites.

I also add 1/2 cup of egg white to my oatmeal in the morning for the protein. (This is so yummy, it's almost like cake for breakfast)
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat both, I'll eat 1-3 eggs depending on how hungry I am mixed it with 3/4 cup of egg whites.
  • Rapunzelmom
    Rapunzelmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Both! If you are limiting your calories or fat, it helps to be able to eliminate the yolks and still have a hearty breakfast. Most days I eat an omelet or scramble with 1 whole egg and two egg whites. . I LOVE the yolks. And if I were going to eat just one egg, it would be the whole egg. .
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If I use egg whites I can eat twice as much.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    when i logged them on mfp i noticed most of the fat is in the yolk and most of the protein is in the egg white......when i was eating a too low calorie diet i was only eating the egg whites cuz its like 17 calories per egg white compared to the whole 70 calorie egg.....now i'm not sure if the fat in the yolk is the good kind or bad....but i know eggs are good for u.... so i'm back to whole eggs.....that's my take on them.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love a whole egg! But, I have found, as I am trying to pay closer attention to my macros that if I use whole eggs all the time, my fat goes up too much. So I usually use 1 whole and 2 whites for breakfast, and then egg whites in my lunch and snack. That gets me the protein w/o the fat that I need, but still some of the yolky goodness. My biggest hurdle I had to overcome was the idea of 'wasting' the yolk. But now, I don't look at it like that. I'm just using the part I need.

lol i was like that too....so i usually threw the extra yolk in my kids omlet. lol but then it made it rubbery cuz i was doing them in the microwave. lol
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Eggs are an awesome food. Aside from being very nutrtious, they're cheap and versatile. I eat the whole egg whenever I please, and I've lost a decent amount of weight.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    I just read an article about how whole eggs can help fight belly fat. I don't know how reliable the source was, it was in one of my many random "woman" periodicals, but I love eggs so I'm choosing to believe it.
  • LouisaMoo
    LouisaMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Can you eat a whole egg as scrambled and still reap the benefits? Please enlighten me!!!!!! I LOVE scrambled eggs ... every other way makes me gag like none other. I can't even eat deviled eggs. :frown:

Of course you can, the nutritional content of a food doesn't change based on how you cook it. You can scramble eggs in a dish in the microwave, and that way you don't need to add any fat or oil at all - it is a little bland, so I add a little milk or some salt, but you could add whatever you like (pepper, herbs, cheese even). They taste better scrambled with a bit of butter in a pan, I think, so I usually do them that way.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Cool hand Luke can eat 50 eggs.
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    Look at the nutritional break down- whole egg gives you iron vs egg white. Never do egg beaters or Feggs they are NOT the same! If you want two with less cals, do one whole egg so you have at least one yolk and one egg white.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I eat the whole eggs. The yolk is my favorite part!

I wish I could convince my little ones that the yolks are good...they refuse to eat them and then I end up eating them because they are my favorite part lol
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs. There is a lot more nutrients and you actually need the yoke to utilize the protein in the white. However, with that said, I'm a small person so I don't have a lot of extra calories per day. But I do want to eat a lot of volume. So I sometimes use egg whites along with the whole eggs to "beef up" an omelet.