Tapout XT or Insanity??

Hey Guys! I've been dying to try Insanity after seeing all the results from mfp friends who've completed the program. But recently I've discovered Tapout XT, the program some MMA fighters use to get in shape, and it is structured similar to Insanity but it looks just as effective if not more. I was wondering if anyone has tried this program and had success? Anyone favor it to Insanity?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• I just finished Insanity and got great results....It's a very intense program from start to finish. I ordered Tapout Xt and will be starting it after a week of rest. I believe both programs are equal in intensity with Insanity being very cardio driven vs tapout addressing cardio/strength and flexibilty. I will say by the end of Insanity I was ready to move on to something new...even so I will definately at some point return for more insane Insanity!!!! Because I do get bored I finish one program and move on to another which I believe makes for continued good results.
  • Thanks so much for the insight! I really appreciate your help!! Good luck on Tapout XT :)
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    I am sure Tapout XT will be become the next workout craze. I am nearly the end of Insanity, and I really can't wait. Its a great program and challenging, but I am tired of the pounding. Plus I am looking for more resistance training in addition to cardio. You prob can't go wrong with either.
  • I just started week 3 of Tapout XT and I'm loving it! I've also done Insanity in the past and there seemed to be more jumping in Insanity. I don't know that I've been as out of breath with the Tapout workouts, but I'm still sweating like it's my job and burning plenty of calories based on my heart rate monitor. It's like a nice mix of the strength training piece of P90X with the resistance bands and the cardio piece of Insanity with the squats, lunges, punches and kicks. I'm a long way from completing the 90 days, but as much as I've enjoyed it this far, I'm looking forward to pushing myself till day 90!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Tapout XT is probably the single most core-intensive workout program out there. Every single workout emphasizes heavy core integration, and after each workout you'll be feeling it more in your core than anywhere else. I just did the first workout in the series which should be called "How many different ways can you think of to put a twist on the plank?"

A few criticisms: The instructor does a good job overall but doesn't take enough time to explain each move. He demos it once or twice and then everyone is expected to join in. And it isn't until after you're halfway through a set that he explains how to modify it for lower intensity/lower fitness levels.

I'll say this: It's a great program that has what I think just might be the single best use of resistance bands I've ever seen. A lot of workout programs I've seen were designed for dumbbells and band compatibility was thrown in as an after through. This one was designed exclusively for the bands. As in you couldn't use dumbbells even if you wanted to.

I think that if hardcore fans of the franchise can get over the fact that this one doesn't have Beachbody's name on it, they'll find a new favorite. It's just.. awesome.

One major difference is that Insanity has you doing some form of plyometrics based workouts everyday almost while Tapout XT only has one Plyo based workout that you will do once a week (similar to P90X). I like this because doing Plyo everyday is not recommended at all as it can lead to severe injury.
  • Make sure you are in decent shape (as in not too heavy) when you start one of these programs. I made the mistake recently and kind of injured my knee while doing Insanity. I made it 5-6 days before I had to stop because of the fluid in my knee area and the pain from bending and kneeling down on it. If I were you, don't go right into these programs, but ease into it after you've already done a more high cario exercise, because they are definitly more intense. And when trying to lose weight..you definitly don't need an injury to slow ya down. Good luck!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    my friend was telling me about this workout today, I want to try it!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    I recently finished 2 straight rounds of Insanity and am now on my 2nd week of Tapout XT! I Loved Insanity but after 2 straight rounds I needed something different! Tapout XT is so much more about resistance and strength IMO. I absolutely feel it after every workout in muscles that I didn't realize I wasn't using with Insanity! I'm not burning nearly as many calories as I was with Insanity BUT I feel it a lot more. Mike Karpenko hits every muscle in these workouts! I haven't even gotten to all of the videos yet but I'm liking it just for the resistance training! I need to focus more on toning right now and I think this is exactly the workout to do that!!
  • Grimlock69
    Grimlock69 Posts: 197
    Tapout XT is probably the single most core-intensive workout program out there. Every single workout emphasizes heavy core integration, and after each workout you'll be feeling it more in your core than anywhere else. I just did the first workout in the series which should be called "How many different ways can you think of to put a twist on the plank?"

A few criticisms: The instructor does a good job overall but doesn't take enough time to explain each move. He demos it once or twice and then everyone is expected to join in. And it isn't until after you're halfway through a set that he explains how to modify it for lower intensity/lower fitness levels.

I'll say this: It's a great program that has what I think just might be the single best use of resistance bands I've ever seen. A lot of workout programs I've seen were designed for dumbbells and band compatibility was thrown in as an after through. This one was designed exclusively for the bands. As in you couldn't use dumbbells even if you wanted to.

I think that if hardcore fans of the franchise can get over the fact that this one doesn't have Beachbody's name on it, they'll find a new favorite. It's just.. awesome.

One major difference is that Insanity has you doing some form of plyometrics based workouts everyday almost while Tapout XT only has one Plyo based workout that you will do once a week (similar to P90X). I like this because doing Plyo everyday is not recommended at all as it can lead to severe injury.
  • Grimlock69
    Well said. I really love Tapout XT.
  • Grimlock69
    I recently finished 2 straight rounds of Insanity and am now on my 2nd week of Tapout XT! I Loved Insanity but after 2 straight rounds I needed something different! Tapout XT is so much more about resistance and strength IMO. I absolutely feel it after every workout in muscles that I didn't realize I wasn't using with Insanity! I'm not burning nearly as many calories as I was with Insanity BUT I feel it a lot more. Mike Karpenko hits every muscle in these workouts! I haven't even gotten to all of the videos yet but I'm liking it just for the resistance training! I need to focus more on toning right now and I think this is exactly the workout to do that!!
  • Grimlock69
    Very well put.
  • Thank you all so much for your great advice and input! It really helped me out alot. I still have about 75 pounds to lose but I'm also looking to tone and build strength/endurance at the same time so the reviews really helped. I'm also really wanting a workout that will help me lose inches. Did y'all lose inches during Tapout XT?
  • contingencyplan
    Any cardio intensive program (which TapouT XT most certainly is) will lead to you losing inches. One thing I have to say though is that although the individual workouts in TapouT XT are absolutely awesome, the schedule you are supposed to follow seems like it was just thrown together and it doesn't make sense froma scientific standpoint. I strongly suggest modifying the schedule to allow for two rest days a week, not the one as indicated in the schedule, and chuck the 15 minute ab workout they make you do out the window. It makes no sense to have a dedicated ab workout when the program as a whole is already core intensive, because by the time you get around to doing that your core has already been blasted by all the plank-style exercises you had to do.

So yes I highly recommend TapouT XT but I suggest you research some rudimentary exercise science and modify the schedule around a bit based on your research. Personally I also dropped Plyo XT from the schedule because Plyometrics should only be done with a professional observing you. People doing plyometrics exercises incorrectly is the leading cause of injuries among people doing home fitness programs and it is best to drop it completely if you aren't 100% sure your form is flawless, substituting it for another form of cardio.

You should also look into Rushfit, another MMA-themed workout. I posted a review comparing it to TapouT XT. Here it is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/622298-rushfit-vs-tapout-xt-my-review-opinion-observation
  • Thank you so much you have been sssssssooooooo much help and given so much insight! I can't wait to get started on XT and I'll check out the other program you recommended thanks again!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    just watched the Tapout promo... looks like it's right up my alley.... question, how long (on average) are the videos??

*cough* *bump*
  • contingencyplan
    The duration for the TapouT XT workouts are about as long as P90X. The individual workouts vary from 45 minutes to an hour, and there's a 15 minute abs workout that you're supposed to stack on top of the workouts on some days if you follow the schedule. But really I think that's totally pointless since as I mentioned above the base workout is already extremely core intensive.

The reason P90X was formatted the way it was, having you do Ab Ripper X on top of the weight training, was because the lifts were mostly isolation lifts and as a result the base workout didn't feature much core activation. But other workouts that don't have that flaw are following P90X's lead in how they format their calendar simply because it's what people are used to/expect now. It's totally pointless here.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    The duration for the TapouT XT workouts are about as long as P90X. The individual workouts vary from 45 minutes to an hour, and there's a 15 minute abs workout that you're supposed to stack on top of the workouts on some days if you follow the schedule. But really I think that's totally pointless since as I mentioned above the base workout is already extremely core intensive.

The reason P90X was formatted the way it was, having you do Ab Ripper X on top of the weight training, was because the lifts were mostly isolation lifts and as a result the base workout didn't feature much core activation. But other workouts that don't have that flaw are following P90X's lead in how they format their calendar simply because it's what people are used to/expect now. It's totally pointless here.

Yeah... did P90X last year... appreciate the heads up!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    I just did insanity and I'm thinking of trying tapout XT looks like a good program! it is more expensive though so not sure if I want to pay that much but I really want to try it!
  • erinmel00
    erinmel00 Posts: 18 Member
    @Brittany-I'm a week away from completing the 90 days of TapoutXT. I've lost 6.75 inches on my waist. I lost in other areas too, just don't remember the numbers off the top of my head.