24 lbs in a little over a month...now I'm SCARED!

Options
Hey guys! Here's the situation. I'm a 28 year old, 6'2"-6'3" guy with an average frame. I started gaining weight in my mid-teens and have slowly/constantly kept putting it on. In the middle of April I was 218.6 lbs--the heaviest I've ever been. I basically ate and drank anything and everything I wanted. I never counted a calorie, didn't really put my mind to exercising, and just slowly got to where I was. A typical day would involve close to 1000 calories of liquid (mostly soda, juice, beer) and at least a fried food or two.

So recently, my brother came up with a weight loss challenge for us and I, out of the spirit of competition, jumped right in. I downloaded the mfp app and religiously watched my calories. I cut out almost all liquid calories (except the occasional light beer) and replaced all the soda with water (probably close to a gallon a day). I also started to run again and have worked myself up to running on average 3 miles a day about 6 days a week. I usually don't consume all my calories--usually have a few hundred left over from the allotted amount of 1670/day. Plus, I usually don't eat back my workout calories. I don't feel as though I'm starving myself as I'm eating 3-4 times per day and try to incorporate as many good foods as possible (fruits/veggies/lean proteins/etc...).

I've had some success so far--down almost 25 lbs--since the end of April. I love that part, but what I'm worried about is the speed at which it was lost. I really want to keep it off and get to my goal weight of 185 lbs. However, I don't want to damage my body or gain it all back the minute I go into "maintenance mode". So the question is this: Has anyone else had a similar rate of success? If you have, have you found success in keeping it off?

I keep telling myself that I lost so quickly because I ate and drank soooo poorly before I started caring. Plus, I have gone from pretty sedentary to trying to find a half marathon to sign up for. However, I keep hearing things like "you're not supposed to lose that much that quickly" and "be careful you don't hurt yourself"...the scariest one is "you're probably just losing muscle at this point."

Anyway, for those that have read this dissertation I really appreciate it. If you have any input/opinions/experiences that you can share I would greatly appreciate it. I want to do this right and don't want to fool myself or hurt myself along the way.

Thanks a bunch everybody!

Replies

• ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    if your eating the proper number of calories (at least 1200) i would not worry. i went through the same thing and lost 15 or so pounds my first month. i think some of it was water weight, and my previous eating habits were so out of norm that just eating less caused me to drop a lot.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I have experienced dramatic weight loss in the past during certain military training times. I know your workout is different but if you are eating healthy its ok to have lost that much. It can happen, You have to consider water weight. And if you are running 3 miles a day, wow. Thats alot of cardio. Congratulations. Maybe you could add some strength to tone up. If you are really concerned see a doctor. Make sure to eat back your exercise calories so you are feeding your body the nutrients and getting the energy you need.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Make sure about 20-30 minutes before you run you have a good snack with good carbs & protein. Like 2 rice cakes & a Tbsp of natural peanut butter. Also, about 15 minutes after your run make sure you have a good protein snack. Like a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with a cup of berries. It will keep your muscles from burning out. Keep up the great work! And don't worry about losing too much and gaining it back it sounds like you have just had a great lifestyle chance. Be proud! :)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You always lose quickly at first.... lots of water and garbage your body has to puge. It will level out and you will lose slower.... nothing to worry about at this point!
  • Kristine0920
    Kristine0920 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great success so far! That is exciting! I'm with the rst of the opinions - fast weight loss when you've dramatically changed your diet and exercise profile is normal, especially for men. Make sure that you're replacing the fluid lost from exercise and eating enough for your body to function normally. Strength training would be reat for boosting your metabolism a nd making your running better. Good luck reaching your weight and health goals!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    While that is a drastic number, I tend to agree with everyone. Your first month is the biggest loser! You are doing great, but I do see you eating at your BMR, and that is not good for your body. That is the fuel your body needs at rest. Just laying there doing nothing. You are a lot more active than that, and are stressing your body. It is fine to do this for a short time,but long term can really hamper your goals. Start eating more, add a protein shake or two 1 before your run and a recovery shake after your run. Running is intense, so you need carbs for fuel. Don't worry they won't turn to fat! Your stamina will increase and your energy levels too. I found eating too low of calories made me lack energy and although I would still exercise I would tire more quickly. Set your goal to lose 2 lbs per week, and try to eat back 1/2 your exercise calories (at least!)

Good luck & feel free to add me if you want more support!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think if you're eating 1500-1700 cals with lots of protein that's very healthy and you shouldn't worry. You probably won't loose a lot of muscle mass eating that way. The first month is often a lot of water weight. When you start getting closer to your target weight it will get harder to loose. But for now you have lots of energy stores for your body to use. I'd make an effort now to eat as much fruits and veggies, especially green veggies, now. It's time to change your tastes to be healthier. You also want to load up on micro-nutrients to assist your body through this dramatic transformation as well as make up for some of the stuff you weren't getting before when your diet was so poor.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you want t continue losing at a steady and HEALTHY rate, you really should eat your exercise calories. Your calorie goal is already quite low for a man of your size. I'm a 5'2, 148lb female and my calorie goal is only about 100 less than yours....I eat ALL of my calories PLUS exercise calories, and I'm still losing. You need to eat to lose...and I know you've lost a ton quickly, so you think what you're doing is successful, but it will not last (and even if it does...as you said, when you go into maintenance mode, you will gain as your metabolism will have drastically slowed down). If you set your goal higher, and eat back your exercise calories you will feel great, have more energy when you run AND you'll still lose weight. Why starve your body when it's not beneficial in any way? If you can eat more, and still lose at a steady rate, why wouldn't you? DON'T BE SCARED! Food is not the enemy!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    |I also agree that your calorie goal is quite low for a man.

Check out the group, "Eat More to weigh less" and read the stickies.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Your first weight drop will aways be the most dramatic, I am worried that when you level off that you will try to eat less. I would advise you to keep that awsome fitness program you are doing and to eat more. Your body needs the fuel and you deserve to have a speedy metabalism. Try for your set calories plus 50% of the exercise calories, or more if you are hungry. Focus on healthy food. Lean proteins, complex grains and vegetables. And keep drinking that water, it was the best change you made yet. Congrats on your success.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    "you're probably just losing muscle at this point."

I read somewhere that muscles grow from protein, and that you should eat protein before and after workout to allow the muscles to grow and stay.

Otherwise, I agree with everyone who's saying as long as you are eating enough, you're good to go. Keep up the good work!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You always lose quickly at first.... lots of water and garbage your body has to puge. It will level out and you will lose slower.... nothing to worry about at this point!

this is true. with just about any diet i ever tried. if its more than 5-10 lbs to lose, it usually starts off in a clump. then you lose singles or even halves. its usually water so nothing to be worried over. anytime you gain or lose to quick its often water.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous about anything. You're trying to learn what's healthy for your body and I applaud you for that. To learn more, not opinions but facts, search the forums for:
    Helloitsdan's In Place of a Road Map
    PU_239's How to Lose Weight Correctly

Find your numbers, use them how you see fit. Once you have this info you'll be able to make choices, no matter what they are, that help you feel confident in what you're doing. I wish you the best and congratulations on your success so far!
  • lourolfes
    lourolfes Posts: 13
    Options
    First of all, thank you all so much for reading, weighing in (pun very much intended!) and for the kind words! :)

I think you all make great points and have made me feel a lot better. I definitely need to make sure I'm getting more protein as I'm usually just barely at or under my goal of 60 grams a day. This will also help to fill that slight calorie deficiency in a positive way! Plus, I am going to start a little of the strength training that some have suggested--might as well tone up a bit too!

Thanks again--very much appreciated!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    If you want t continue losing at a steady and HEALTHY rate, you really should eat your exercise calories. Your calorie goal is already quite low for a man of your size. I'm a 5'2, 148lb female and my calorie goal is only about 100 less than yours....I eat ALL of my calories PLUS exercise calories, and I'm still losing. You need to eat to lose...and I know you've lost a ton quickly, so you think what you're doing is successful, but it will not last (and even if it does...as you said, when you go into maintenance mode, you will gain as your metabolism will have drastically slowed down). If you set your goal higher, and eat back your exercise calories you will feel great, have more energy when you run AND you'll still lose weight. Why starve your body when it's not beneficial in any way? If you can eat more, and still lose at a steady rate, why wouldn't you? DON'T BE SCARED! Food is not the enemy!
    ^ This!